Questions re: Survival/Bug out vehicle engines and equipment

I'm thinking about a truck for weekends, camping, etc, and one that could potentially be used for bugging out. I like the F150, but have a few considerations that I'd like opinions on.
We recently purchased the Nissan Frontier 4x4 - if you're considering new I highly recommend it.

So my thinking is that on the one hand, having a truck could be useful, on the other hand, in an EMP scenario, you are either bugging in, or you are on foot/horseback.
A truck is always going to be useful pre bug-out simply to get things done and prepare. I also wouldn't discount or dismiss the wisdom of a decent mountain bike. Under $150 gets you a sturdy all-terrain vehicle, extra tubes, pump etc... which will work after any event you personally survive, EMP or otherwise, won't need fuel, feed or paved roads. And the exercise abilities you get included will prepare you for a day that you need to get outta Dodge.

Finally, I assume that virtually all new vehicles have GPS integrated into their brains. Is there a means to disable these, or to ensure that you cannot be tracked by evildoers with the appropriate technology?

Not sure about this part for all vehicles - but if you're keeping a low enough profile to begin with, you may not have anyone bothering to notice if you have a signal to be tracked to begin with.

We recently purchased the Nissan Frontier 4x4 - if you're considering new I highly recommend it.

Thanks. I'll take a look, but I kind of like the full-sized trucks, and given the slight differences in economy, prefer to go big.

I also wouldn't discount or dismiss the wisdom of a decent mountain bike.

I agree entirely. Been mountain biking for 20 years. The bride just isn't into it, though, and you can't haul a lot with one. Good to have around, though, and I have a pretty decent one with a steel frame that should last a long time.

I should also reiterate that if I did buy a truck, I'd want it to be able to pull a horse trailer, so that eliminates most small trucks. A few folks have even said that the F150/Tundra isn't really good for horse trailers because if/when the horses stomp around, the truck has trouble with stability. Hopefully the trailer sway controller in the F150 minimizes that. I know plenty of people who pull horse trailers with bumper pull in 1/2 ton trucks, but still, I know people with Super Duty's who think even that is marginal for some horses. (Think 17 hand Warmbloods.)

Last edited:
I should also reiterate that if I did buy a truck, I'd want it to be able to pull a horse trailer, so that eliminates most small trucks. A few folks have even said that the F150/Tundra isn't really good for horse trailers because if/when the horses stomp around, the truck has trouble with stability. Hopefully the trailer sway controller in the F150 minimizes that. I know plenty of people who pull horse trailers with bumper pull in 1/2 ton trucks, but still, I know people with Super Duty's who think even that is marginal for some horses. (Think 17 hand Warmbloods.)

havent really followed your thread, but considering the above, why are you not shopping for a used diesel? for 1/4 the price of a new nissan frontier, which can maybe pull a decent sized root out of your garden, you can have a reliable heavy duty truck that will tow anything and last you for alot longer than a gas job?

havent really followed your thread, but considering the above, why are you not shopping for a used diesel? for 1/4 the price of a new nissan frontier, which can maybe pull a decent sized root out of your garden, you can have a reliable heavy duty truck that will tow anything and last you for alot longer than a gas job?

This. I just picked up an older Duramax with 80k miles on it for a bit less then half what a new F150 outfitted the same way would have cost me. I think it was a great move, and feel it will last me plenty long enough to get my money out of it. I am quite happy knowing the truck will handle anything I will ever need it to do.

This. I just picked up an older Duramax with 80k miles on it for a bit less then half what a new F150 outfitted the same way would have cost me. I think it was a great move, and feel it will last me plenty long enough to get my money out of it. I am quite happy knowing the truck will handle anything I will ever need it to do.

totally, duramax, ford superduty, cummins, any of the above will be far more reliable and powerful than even a full size gas powered truck. i paid 22,000 for my 2006 f350 diesel, it has 23,000 miles on it, is in immaculate condition, and came with a brand new 8' fisher minute mount that had never even been mounted on the truck. i get about 18mpg and, if you want to get crazy, make around 450hp and 750 ft lbs of torque with a basic out of the box tuner and exhaust.

totally, duramax, ford superduty, cummins, any of the above will be far more reliable and powerful than even a full size gas powered truck. i paid 22,000 for my 2006 f350 diesel, it has 23,000 miles on it, is in immaculate condition, and came with a brand new 8' fisher minute mount that had never even been mounted on the truck. i get about 18mpg and, if you want to get crazy, make around 450hp and 750 ft lbs of torque with a basic out of the box tuner and exhaust.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention mpg's. I just burned my first full tank of diesel and did the miles/gallons math, 17.8 [smile].

exactly, i brought mine through "inspection" with a 4" open down pipe, freakin thing sounded like a 747. they couldnt do #$%# about it hehehe

Thanks for the advice. I am starting to look at older trucks a bit. I really do like the new FX4, but in keeping with the frugal Yankee thread, I didn't pull the trigger on the wrong deal. The price tag is shocking to me It's amazing they sell a million a year. Still thinking about the unlikely EMP situation, butthat is a remote situation, I suppose, in which case the bikes will come out. I'm not in a hurry, so I'm going to look at older trucks. I really want the crew cab and 4x4.

Ideally, I'd either pay cash or have a payment that don't require me to change my pants upon opening.

Maybe I just need to build a custom rat truck or something. Then the kevlar panels won't be so obvious. ;p

I guess that if something bad were to happen, I know where to find a big old flatbed.

Thanks for the advice. I am starting to look at older trucks a bit. I really do like the new FX4, but in keeping with the frugal Yankee thread, I didn't pull the trigger on the wrong deal. The price tag is shocking to me It's amazing they sell a million a year. Still thinking about the unlikely EMP situation, butthat is a remote situation, I suppose, in which case the bikes will come out. I'm not in a hurry, so I'm going to look at older trucks. I really want the crew cab and 4x4.

Ideally, I'd either pay cash or have a payment that don't require me to change my pants upon opening.

Maybe I just need to build a custom rat truck or something. Then the kevlar panels won't be so obvious. ;p

I guess that if something bad were to happen, I know where to find a big old flatbed.

Shop around, the deals are out there, but take my advice (I spent a month looking for the "right" truck) if you find a good one, don't drag your feet on it. There are a ton of people looking for low mile diesels right now and they snap up the good ones when they find them. Just like here with guns, hit the diesel forums, there is a TON of info to show you what to look for.

Cruising CR and found this: http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/3110587027.html

I don't have anything to do with the seller. Just thought someone here might want to pick up a bug-out vehicle with a 90mm gun-mount. [smile]

5F65H15Mb3Fc3M53Nec6u8c6eca7e50d619df.jpg

First off the. New ford 6.7 disel runs urea insted of the reburn gets great milage hard to find that stuff in a bug out situation so ypu would need to stock up one bottle will last about a month but disel mechanics are alot harder to find then gas and if you don't like turbos all ford disels have one.....

In a bug out I would hardley be worried about big brother watching you really with all the emp stuff or whatever the problem they wont be looking for you...
an old pick up would be fine and wish I had the funds to have a specfic bug out vehicle

First off the. New ford 6.7 disel runs urea insted of the reburn gets great milage hard to find that stuff in a bug out situation so ypu would need to stock up one bottle will last about a month but disel mechanics are alot harder to find then gas and if you don't like turbos all ford disels have one.....

In a bug out I would hardley be worried about big brother watching you really with all the emp stuff or whatever the problem they wont be looking for you...
an old pick up would be fine and wish I had the funds to have a specfic bug out vehicle

Or you could learn how to work on an older diesel motor and not worry about urea or finding a mechanic.

The old 7.3 disel is a hell of a machine that goes and goes get great milage and dosent need urea I am with ya man plus you could run it on veggie or peanut oil

The old 7.3 disel is a hell of a machine that goes and goes get great milage and dosent need urea I am with ya man plus you could run it on veggie or peanut oil

Yeah, this is consider one of the best. If you can find a late 90's F350 that isn't rotten, you'd have a great vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom