Quick question regarding mid length barrel + muzzle

Goal: finish building upper that can shoot 300 yards with a 14.5" barrel and 2" muzzle device
Restrictions: Budget

Was wondering if anyone here as any experience with this:

http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

and if anyone has recommendations on muzzle device that in tandem with a 14.5" would total over 16" (for mass compliant)

Currently looking at BCM battlecomp, but have no experience with muzzle devices

I have a Lantac Dragon in my 14.5 midlength. Barrel is from BCM. Shoots nice at 300 yards. The dragon does a great job at reducing recoil and muzzle rise.

Just being a dick, but 16" is federal, not a MA requirement unless you are getting your tax stamp and building an SBR. Just would hate to see you move to NH and unpin it thinking it was a state, not ATF requirement.

For that kind of money, you might as well just get a Lothar Walther 16" very light contour stainless steel barrel. Its a great barrel and is very accurate until it heats up. Which will be the case with ANY thin barrel like this one or the one you linked to.

Here is a pic of a lightweight gun I built with one. No its not pretty, but its quite a shooter and weighs only 5 lbs.

Also, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Shoot 300 yards". If by that, you mean hit a 12 inch gong from a bench, then anything will meet that requirement. If you want true accuracy at 300 yards, the Lothar Walther barrel is a great deal.

Don

p.s. That JP gas block is made of aluminum. So despite its size its very light.

I have BCM Gunfighter mod 1 which is meant for 14.5" barrels.

The Battlecomp is a different company.

^this

for a 14.5" setup, would consider how much compensation you really want from the muzzle device. the BCM mod 1 is nice because it has overall mild amount of diverting laterally and rearward towards shooter. on a 14.5" barrel the behavior of the comp will become more noticeable than on something longer say 18".

the BCM mod 0 is my go-to default muzzle device, mostly because I like the appearance and it's middle of the road in many respects.

if i were building a shorter barrrel setup I might consider a linear compensator (e.g. Levang or Troy Claymore) to help divert the blast forward. with a red dot or low mag optic it works great. with high magnification it does throw off the sight picture substantially. the up side is the sound and concussion is way less.

there's also the fancy comp + detacheable linear compensator/blast diverter like the Ferfrans CRD. the NESer Cobaltbluesteel is very knowledgable about such devices.

Last edited:
Its a great barrel and is very accurate until it heats up. Which will be the case with ANY thin barrel like this one or the one you linked to.

Would a chrome lined barrel such as BCM have different results once its heated up?

I have a Lantac Dragon in my 14.5 midlength. Barrel is from BCM. Shoots nice at 300 yards. The dragon does a great job at reducing recoil and muzzle rise.

I think this is the route Im leaning towards as well. Chrome lined right? I was told thats the way to go especially for rapid fire on semi

Did your Lantac Dragon attach with no issues? I'm really impressed with the videos of this brake. Im confused about the fundamental difference between a muzzle brake and a muzzle comp however.

Just being a dick, but 16" is federal, not a MA requirement unless you are getting your tax stamp and building an SBR. Just would hate to see you move to NH and unpin it thinking it was a state, not ATF requirement.

Hey thanks. This is really good to know

Yeah the Lantac installed no problem. It's pinned and welded to bring it up 16"

Primary arms was just selling them on sale for $80 a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
If it's just keeping it on target, then Lantac Dragon > BCM Mod 1. The BCM is friendlier to your neighbors. The Lantac keeps it flatter, but it's not so nice to those next to you and blows stuff off the bench. Plus the Lantac is much more cool looking.

Pride.

A thin barrel will start to "walk" its group as it heats up. It doesn't matter if its chrome lined or stainless. A thicker barrel will be more consistent as it heats up.

I'm not familiar with teh Lantac Dragon. But I have tried a domestic equivalent to the Ferfrans.

Its made by a company called Kinetitech. You can have the brake pinned to your barrel then can put the shroud on it when you want to reduce noise for yourself and those around you.

It is a steal at $50ish for both the brake and shroud. I had one of these on my .308 bolt gun until I decided to put a ThunderBeast Arms Ultra 7 suppressor on it. The brake was good. And with the shroud on it the gun was not so obnoxious when I used it during a prone match with another guy 2 ft away from me.

http://www.kineti-tech.com/muzzle-brakes-2/

al3n1__41015.1396642706.500.500.jpg

I have the Lantac Dragon as well, does a great job. A bit pricey at times. I also have the Surefire Procomp brake on my .308 bolt action. Hands down the best value for the price. Really makes shooting the rifle that much easier. My next AR build will have a surefire on it.

Pride.

A thin barrel will start to "walk" its group as it heats up. It doesn't matter if its chrome lined or stainless. A thicker barrel will be more consistent as it heats up.

I'm not familiar with teh Lantac Dragon. But I have tried a domestic equivalent to the Ferfrans.

Its made by a company called Kinetitech. You can have the brake pinned to your barrel then can put the shroud on it when you want to reduce noise for yourself and those around you.

It is a steal at $50ish for both the brake and shroud. I had one of these on my .308 bolt gun until I decided to put a ThunderBeast Arms Ultra 7 suppressor on it. The brake was good. And with the shroud on it the gun was not so obnoxious when I used it during a prone match with another guy 2 ft away from me.

I was just looking at these, pretty cool, you can "design" your own. They also have "barrel shouds" that you can design. Look like supressors, but not. And CHEAP!

Pride.

I could very well be wrong (as I often am) but aren't the external threads on that brake an issue in MA?

Goal: finish building upper that can shoot 300 yards with a 14.5" barrel and 2" muzzle device
Restrictions: Budget

Was wondering if anyone here as any experience with this:

http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

and if anyone has recommendations on muzzle device that in tandem with a 14.5" would total over 16" (for mass compliant)

Currently looking at BCM battlecomp, but have no experience with muzzle devices

I like the Fer Franz with no deflector, $90 and one of the most effective brakes on the market, if not top 5. Ive used the Lantac, the original Battlecomp, And the Ares Armes effin'A. The Ares arms is the most effective IMHO and can be fine tuned to shoot absolutely flat, but its ugly as sin.

I have the Lantac on a Colt Carbine, and im not impressed, its possible its because its a carbine gas system, but the FerFranz (no deflector) did better on the colt.
For that money, Meh.

And linear comps IMHO don't mitigate recoil like a brake or open comp since all the gases are directed forward. They are good for the range and keeping noise away from ur neighbors, but who cares about them.

Last edited:
After an afternoon at the range I'll give high points to the Griffin linear comp. It adds modest braking, and throws noise downrange. Really made my new build a soft shooter vs my 20" target crowned barrel gun.

Back
Top Bottom