Range bags and the TSA (careful about powder residue!)

milktree

NES Member
Just so you know, schmutz from shooting might set off the sensors at the airport.

The other day I went on a trip that started at Manchester Airport. My carry on bag was a backpack that was my former range bag. I'd stuff handguns and ammo and other stuff that got dirty in there, so it probably had its fair share of combustion trace elements.

When my backpack went through the X-ray, they wanted to run it through again because something wasn't obvious to them (I never did find out what, maybe my camera in its protective box with extra batteries?) When whatever the problem was didn't clear itself up with the second pass they did a manual inspection, which included running the swab-wand through the pack.

I jokingly asked, "So, how often does that actually catch anything?"

The TSA guy smiled and said something like, "Not very often, but occasionally."

We chatted about nothing while he put the swap in the testing machine, and then he said, "Huh.. I guess it's your lucky day!"

That, of course, led to a somewhat more detailed inspection (nothing uncomfortable) where they found nothing.

I told him it was my former range bag, and asked if powder residue could create a positive. He was non-committal, but basically said, "yea, that could do it."

The whole episode was kind of a hassle, but both agents I dealt with were friendly and respectful and professional, and I made my flight. One of them talked with me about what kind of shooting I do. He was pretty laid back. Used to work at Logan. "No sense of humor" he said about that airport. :)

I don't know if it was actually powder residue (Their machine only says "yes" or "no", not "which") but if you plan on traveling with your range bag, it might save you some hassle to clean it well beforehand.

Years back, they warned us of that at the SIG academy. A student who had flown in for a week long course was on his way home and flying out of Logan. He didn't do laundry first, so all the clothes he wore at the range were in the bag. They called to confirm he had been taking classes.

I've used an old range bag several times for quick overnight trips. I know for a fact that it's loaded with powder residue, both inside and out. (Anything I don't pack in internal plastic bags comes out covered with visible residue.) Still, I've flown with it through Logan, Manchester, ORD, LAX and a couple of other airports without the slightest hiccup, even though it was swabbed a couple of times. The only thing I took particular care about was making sure that there was no brass hidden somewhere in a seam.

Ken

Sidenote: Also IF you play paintball and use high end paintballs (Ultra-Evil type stuff), don't carry those clothes or bags as well. The paintballs contain trace amount of magnesium, phosphate, and other stuff that sets the sniffers off. Trust me on this one.

After this experience wife and I have shooting sneakers/boots, hats, coats and specific range bags. TSA can ruin a trip.

Ten years ago we stopped in Geneva, Switzerland on the way to Tel Aviv, Israel. The Swiss Police wheeled in this huge machine and other gear to check our bags. Since we had a few hours with nothing to do (it was ~4AM local time and shops were closed), I chatted with a couple of the Swiss Police, told them I was LE and asked about gunpowder residue. They told me that their machines weren't programmed for gunpowder, only explosives. When they swabbed my bag (they did this to everyone's bags after doing a manual frisk of the bag), nothing alarmed.

I doubt that the Fudds at TSA have a clue what the machine looks for . . . it's beyond their pay-grade!

Explosives (which gunpowder is NOT) is what they are looking for, not dirt/dust from a range trip.

I'm sure that this varies, but most machines will not alarm on smokeless powder residue. I suspect black powder residue certainly would.

Are you talking about an x ray or an explosive detector?

The X-ray was just an X-ray, but their failure to identify something in my backpack led to the hand inspection and swabbing.

They didn't say what was funny with the X-ray.

I see, I thought it was an explosive detector, and I wouldnt classify it as a "failure" to identify something...I have worked on x rays, portal metal detectors, explosive detectors and you cant always identify everything so you take it a step further. Also I wouldnt have told you what was "funny" with the xray, bad guys are always testing the systems to see what they can sneak in....how much metal will set off the portals, what will disguise something going through the xray..what explosives will set off a detector ? petn,nitro,tnt..what your actions are upon discovery...you would be surprised...dont take any offense to it just be happy that guys are looking out for you and your loved ones boarding a plane and roll with it.

Range bags should remain just that.

The lead residue on the bag will contaminate anything that comes in contact with it. This means your clothes, magazines, food, water bottles etc. Yea once past 50 the effect of lead on your brain is minimal, but you need to think of the people/children around you.

See... I have a prosthetic leg, and they have to swab it and test in a chemical sniffer. So as you can probably guess, I have had questions asked. But thankfully they have been cool about it. [smile]

I see, I thought it was an explosive detector, and I wouldnt classify it as a "failure" to identify something...

Sorry, I was unclear.

When the bag went through the X-ray, there was something they couldn't identify. I didn't mean that the system failed, just that there was a particular thing that the X-ray and its technician couldn't identify, so they naturally went to the next step in the process.

And no, there wasn't any offense taken.

Back
Top Bottom