Range Finders

I searched the NES archives and didn't see info that goes to my specific question, so, new thread. Mod's, kill at will if I'm being a redundant ass. No harm, no foul.

I'm looking at picking up a new rangefinder. Particularly a Nikon Forestry 550.
But, I'd really appreciate hearing any opinions about your other rangefinders, pro or con.
I'm hunting and scouting in varied areas and finding a lot of opportunities with unknown ranges and no known sized objects at distance to reference. So, I thought I'd go the lazy route and get a digital skill replacement device[wink]
Just an FYI, I still hunt and have had plenty clear downhill bow shots so declination is slightly important but not as if I was in a stand.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I'll tell you this... I am with you on this. There are so many times I am hunting that I question how far a shot is or would be. It really messes with your head when you have to question it, then adjust off a guess.

we use our range finder all of the time-- you would be suprised at what it comes in handy for [laugh]

we have a nikon and love it. it helps big time for gun season even.... although it is really most helpful during bow season

I'll tell you this... I am with you on this. There are so many times I am hunting that I question how far a shot is or would be. It really messes with your head when you have to question it, then adjust off a guess.
That's exactly what I'm trying to move away from. Usually I can pace off turkey spots or well scouted early deer, but, late season I usually have nothing for size reference at distance 'cause I'm tracking away from where I was playing earlier in the season.

For bow hunting I have the Nikon Archers Choice, excellent piece...for longer distances can't help sorry...

Played with one at the expo and liked it. Thanks for the head's up.

we use our range finder all of the time-- you would be suprised at what it comes in handy for [laugh]

we have a nikon and love it. it helps big time for gun season even.... although it is really most helpful during bow season

I have many plans for this thing beyond just the bow, so, your input is good to hear. Thank you!

Stay away from Bushnell rangefinders! NG!
I won't even ask for details. Truthfully, I'm confident in just taking your word for it. I think I'll stick to Nikon.

Thank you guys for your input. Sorely needed, like right now.[grin]

I have a Nikon Prostaff 440. I really like it. Its the perfect size to carry and ranges far enough for any hunting shot I would take around here. The only thing I dont like about it is the magnification (8X) when I bought it I thought I would like the magnification so I could "zoom" in on targets father away. The fact is most of my shots are close and a lower magnification would help me pick up the target better. This is especially true while bow hunting. As far as the angle thing I feel it is a littlle gimicky for archery unless you are really high and willing to take long shots. I can see their point for rifle hunting in the rockies just not around here where 100 yards is a long shot. As long as you keep thinking angle in the back of your mind you should be able to adjust for most shots with a slug gun and definately with a bow.

I have a Nikon Prostaff 440. I really like it. Its the perfect size to carry and ranges far enough for any hunting shot I would take around here. The only thing I dont like about it is the magnification (8X) when I bought it I thought I would like the magnification so I could "zoom" in on targets father away. The fact is most of my shots are close and a lower magnification would help me pick up the target better. This is especially true while bow hunting. As far as the angle thing I feel it is a littlle gimicky for archery unless you are really high and willing to take long shots. I can see their point for rifle hunting in the rockies just not around here where 100 yards is a long shot. As long as you keep thinking angle in the back of your mind you should be able to adjust for most shots with a slug gun and definately with a bow.

For NE game I can see 8x being an issue. I would like to keep my FOV as wide as possible but a little mag would be useful. I'm hoping once I get my back sorted to make two trips out west for pronghorn, elk, and upland, but an 8x only for those trips would be a waste.
I like the angle compensation but it's not critical because I'm rarely in a stand but I have had some off angle shots that it'd be nice to have, just to shore up the shot.
Thank you very much for your input. Sincerely appreciated.

Ijust got a Nikon Team Realtree 550, and I like it a lot. I played with a ton of other ones at the store, ranging the same objects. I found the Nikon to be the fastest and easiest to read. I looked at Bushnell and it just wasn't accurate and felt flimsy in the hands. I also looked at a bunch of Leupolds, and they just took forever to measure, couldn't measure many objects, and the LCD was impossible to read. Its like there were so many little numbers and garbage on the screen that if the background wasn't like pure blue or white, you had a hard time picking out the values you needed.

The Nikon has one big ass number thatt can easily be read and is not drowned out by background clutter. I went for it, and so far it works as I expected. Doesn't have a lot of features, but all I need is too measure the distance, and it does that fast.

The Nikon has one big ass number thatt can easily be read and is not drowned out by background clutter.

That is one of the things I really like about their rangers. Although, I've decided on the forestry 550(which has a bunch of stuff going on in the display [grin]) after handling the full range of nikons and a few other assorted manufacturers. I didn't grab it though 'cause he wanted $350 and I'm hoping to find it for less.

I really appreciate your input on this. Thank you.

Another reccomendation for Nikon. I have had a 400 yard Nikon for years and have never had a complaint. On a trip to Montana last fall I realized that the 400yd rangefinder was totally inadequate for the distances out there so I bought the 1200yd version and it is just as good, or better, than my older 400yd. I have not used the new one around here yet but I am not anticipating any problems with the magnification.

I have had a bushnell for years (since 06) and absolutely love it. Use it mostly during hunting season. Its the yardage pro scout which I think is a 6x good out to 700 yards. Clear optics, easy to read numbers, etc. It has a really nice scan feature so if I laser a tree I can move it around and have it go into scan mode which just tells me the distance of the next object I'm looking at. I wouldn't count Bushnell out. I would recommend the one I have to anyone.

me too i got the scout arc 1000 and love it ., with the angled shots you have to look down to the smaller # on the nikons archer choice it displays the adjusted # in the main screen , that s my only complaint

Back
Top Bottom