Rawles: Expatriates

While there's a lot to glean from the books, they are pretty lousy literary works. Nobody talks like that--with brand names and serial numbers and quantified gram weights in day to day conversations, too much religion (which in and of itself isn't an issue--to each his own, but I just can't relate), etc. That said, I _did_ enjoy Patriots and Survivors. Founders was a rushed pile of junk--he even said it was rushed. With my Audible account, I'll get this one and if it totally sucks I will return it.

I still haven't started the latest Joe Nobody book on my Kindle. When I'm done with that, I'll check the reviews on the latest Rawles book and see how it sounds. I rushed into buying the last one, and within a day, it was universally panned.

I was disappointed enough in Survivors that I waited for the reviews on Founders... Glad I did, that and the ridiculous price for the kindle version kept me away from purchasing it.

While there's a lot to glean from the books, they are pretty lousy literary works. Nobody talks like that--with brand names and serial numbers and quantified gram weights in day to day conversations, too much religion

I agree with you on all of this. I couldn't finish patriots for these reasons.

Gents,

Let's all recognize a constant fact in Rawles' books: he is not writing literary products as much as how-to survival guides with paper-thin stories constructed around them.

Think about it: if he wrote a how-to manual containing information on the *precise* method of production of thermite, and then followed it up with how to effectively disable M1 Abrams tanks, he'd be rushed off to jail by the <strike>Gestapo</strike> DHS. As it is, he is simply sharing mountains of wealth and simultaneously covering his @$$.

Gents,

Let's all recognize a constant fact in Rawles' books: he is not writing literary products as much as how-to survival guides with paper-thin stories constructed around them.

Think about it: if he wrote a how-to manual containing information on the *precise* method of production of thermite, and then followed it up with how to effectively disable M1 Abrams tanks, he'd be rushed off to jail by the <strike>Gestapo</strike> DHS. As it is, he is simply sharing mountains of wealth and simultaneously covering his @$$.

Understood. And this is why I enjoyed and re-read Patriots several times, even though I can't tell one character from another. But by the time he told the same story for the third time, there was no how-to left. It was just him trying to sell more books.

Last edited:
Gents,

That doesn't make it a book worth reading.

Sent from my phone.

Yes, I'll buy it when it comes out. Remember wait till release day to drive it up on the Amazon list.

I also just got Glenn Beck's the Overton Window (now in paperback) and the Eye of Molock. I'm 8 chapters in on Overton and it's quite good.

I also have Control (pro gun rights) - lots of facts, a good reference book.

I think Rawles is planning for a crash and attempting to get info out exclusively. I think Beck doesn't really care when it comes (he knows it will) and as long as it lasts he'll get as much cash to spend on his projects as possible.

Nothing wrong with either - just my take on both - they both have their place.

Gents,

I never said I did learn anything or that they weren't of any value [smile]

However, for me (and apparently quite a few of us), Founders was less than stellar on all counts.

Gents,

Not to pile on, but I don't think that they have a lot of value even in that respect. There are, and have been, other survival books that get into the details on various prepping/survival methods and retain their readability. The biggest problem with Rawles' books is that almost all of the information in his books is available on his web site; the second is that the books lack readability.

I supported him by buying a couple of his books mostly as a quid pro quo for the good stuff on his blog, but I'm not going to waste any more money on it.

Back
Top Bottom