Re-registering a boat in MA.?

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've been thinking more and more about getting back into fresh water fishing. Problem is I let my registration run out on my Coleman Crawdad several years ago.
Anyone know what I need to do to get a new registration decal?
Years ago when I first registered it I had to go to Fall River and do it in person, then renew every other year by mail. Now that its been so long, I'm not sure what I need to go through to get a new decal.
I'd hate to go through the hassle of downtown Fall River parking. I'm hoping things have modernized after 6 years and I can do it online or something.[smile]

Another question. On the boat license numbers that are on the boats, why is Massachusetts abreviated MS?

To re register a vessel, bring your paperwork to the reg office and pay the fees. If you are attached to your MS numbers you will have to back pay all the previous years. For example if your boat expired in 2003, you will need to pay for 03 to 05, then 05 to 07, depending on month 07 to 09. This can be expensive depending on boat size, and number of years it has been expired. The alternative is to get a new ms number issued, remove your current numbers and apply the new ones.

If your reg has zeros in it you must display them. Ie ms 0001 af, if you only put ms 1 af, you can be fined for failure to display numbers.

The MS designation comes from the USCG, they came up with the scheme of state identifiers, and the sequence of 4 numbers and 1 or 2 letters.
For more fun MI = Mississippi MC = Michigan CF = California

Thanks Talon. I was wondering the weird codes. God forbid they use code the rest of the country knows.

I do know that Minnesota = MN [smile]

The EPO inspection is if the boat does not have a Coast guard approved VIN.
Check the boat registration pages for the correct format vin off the top of my head I can't remember it now. (Our boat was out of registration since 1991 and was from the 1950's so we had to get it inspected / HID assigned before we could register it again. )

I renewed mine this year in person. I brought it in because it listed a different serial number than what is printed on the METAL PLATE in my boat, which is pretty clear and I wouldn't have gotten wrong.

Anyhow, after some time, the girl comes back with

"They are now issuing 12 digit serial numbers."

I say "But my serial number is 123abc, not 123456789012."

She said "Well it is now."

I said "It is engraved in metal on my boat that 123abc is the serial number!"

She says "Well, you need to cover that up and put on a new plate."

I said "Who came up with this, and when?"

She says "Well, I guess we did a couple years ago."

I said "It would have been nice if you let me know you assigned me a new number a couple years ago."

She said "You weren't notified? Well, you better fix this, because if you get stopped, this is the number the officer will be looking for."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh!

Oh yeah. I paid a buck for this boat over 5 years ago. They would not take a nickel for the sales tax at the office. I actually had to write a check for 5 cents! The check probably cost more than the amount on it!!

DOUBLE Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh!

I D I O T S ! ! ! !

The reason for the check is the Environmental reg office has to forward the funds to the DOR. The env registry cannot forward cash. They can only forward checks / money orders. You can pay the sales tax directly to the DOR using the computer at the reg office with a credit /debit card. You can also mail in the form ST-6, receive the receipt in the mail and bring it in as proof of payment.

DOR = Mass. Dept. of Revenue

Hope that helps explain the confusion this state causes.

John

The reason for the check is the Environmental reg office has to forward the funds to the DOR. The env registry cannot forward cash. They can only forward checks / money orders. You can pay the sales tax directly to the DOR using the computer at the reg office with a credit /debit card. You can also mail in the form ST-6, receive the receipt in the mail and bring it in as proof of payment.

DOR = Mass. Dept. of Revenue

Hope that helps explain the confusion this state causes.

John

They should really be able to do this differently. Better still, merge the functions of these two branches. I originally WENT to the RMV to, yup, REGISTER my VEHICLE (is a boat a vehicle?). I know the trailer is at the RMV. What is the problem here? Can't they transfer funds electronically, or just hire a brinks guy if that is the issue? Cripes!

To make it quick, each and every state agency, division, and office have their own individual accounts under the state master account. Further each sub account is broken down further. Each fiscal year the general fund wehn authroized by congress, places a years worth of cash into each master account. For example The office of Energy, and env affairs (EEE) is the master account. Then theres an account for the dept of consservation and recreation (DCR) under DCR there is an operational account for state parks(sp) urban parks (up) dam safety (ds) forest fire control (fc) and so on. Due to the levels of seperation, merging is not an option. Each entity can only spend and Recieve funds into the account so authorized.

No a boat is not a vehicle ..... its a vessel.

Next time your in Boston check out the duck boats. They have license plates like a car for the road, and MS numbers on the bow as a boat. Talk about paying out both ends.

That is precisely the type of red tape bureaucracy we need to clean up and simplify for our residents and businesses!

Time to do away with the overlap.

Sad event when a guy can't even take a Coleman Crawdad with a trolling motor out on a fresh water pond without going through all the crap the state requires.
I shoulda just paid the $30 when it was running out even though I wasn't using that particular boat at the time.[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom