Reciprocity: What combination would cover most of the US?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
Has anyone figured out which combination of permits would allow someone to carry in the largest number of states? I know that many states allow non-residents with permits from their home states to carry. I also know that some states accept non-resident permits from non-residing states. I seem to remember that having a Mass, Florida, NH, Connecticut, Arizona, and one other state would grant carry privileges in those places where you can acquire same.

Rog

Has anyone figured out which combination of permits would allow someone to carry in the largest number of states? I know that many states allow non-residents with permits from their home states to carry. I also know that some states accept non-resident permits from non-residing states. I seem to remember that having a Mass, Florida, NH, Connecticut, Arizona, and one other state would grant carry privileges in those places where you can acquire same.

Rog
Your homestate permit + all the Non resident permits

First a little technical detail: "Reciprocity" means that state "A" will recognize state "B"'s license in return for state "B" recognizing theirs. Most people who use the term really don't want to limit consideration to those cases.

Second, the question itself is ambiguous. What single permit will cover the most states? What two permits combined will cover the most states?, etc. If you want to investigate different combinations, Handgunlaw.US has a chart that shows you what states will recognize licenses (resident and non-resident) from any other state. Some states don't issue or recognize non-resident permits; two don't even allow their own citizens to carry concealed. With the exception of Vermont, all of the New England states will recognize anybody else's permits, but they all issue non-resident permits.

Ken

Your homestate permit + all the Non resident permits

I'm guessing the OP was looking for with the least number of permits or the cheapest set of permits.

But it may also depend on your resident state.

Common place to start is getting FL and UT nonres. IIRC this will give you a
large amount of coverage.

Complete coverage is a pain in the ass though. There will always be this
bucket of states (CT, SC, ME, bunch of others) that are a pain in the ass
WRT reciprocity.

Thy this out....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

(not sure how accurate it is, some info may have changed since
they updated it).

-Mike

I have Mass, NH, and FLA which allows concealed carry in 34 states. According to the map linked above.

I never assume these sites are correct and always verify from the states own website I plan on carrying in. I also carry the federal peaceable journey law along with any downloaded info from the state I plan on traveling in.

I believe that the Federal Peacable Journey Law is more of a recomendation. The first line reads:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..."

So a state can still pass laws forbidding "peacable journey". I believe North Carolina does not subscribe to this law, and would require a permit with reciprocity or a non-res permit to even pass through the state with a firearm.

True, but CT is reasonably easy to get a non-resident. I've had one for a number of years, and they tend to have a good attitude about this - at least last time I renewed.

Common place to start is getting FL and UT nonres. IIRC this will give you a
large amount of coverage.

Complete coverage is a pain in the ass though. There will always be this
bucket of states (CT, SC, ME, bunch of others) that are a pain in the ass
WRT reciprocity.

Thy this out....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

(not sure how accurate it is, some info may have changed since
they updated it).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom