• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendation For a course

Im relatively new to shooting, especially pistols, I was wonder what you would course's you would suggest for me that are going on this year? I have never had any real instruction on shooting, I have learned the basics with my googlefu but that is about it. I'm most interested in carbine/pistol!! Thanks -Mark[grin]

Mark, if you can find a basic pistol course that would be your best starting point. You need to learn the basics first (grip/stance/sight alignment/etc.) and it is MUCH easier to learn the correct way first than trying to shake bad habits...and cheaper in the long run.

Im relatively new to shooting, especially pistols, I was wonder what you would course's you would suggest for me that are going on this year? I have never had any real instruction on shooting, I have learned the basics with my googlefu but that is about it. I'm most interested in carbine/pistol!! Thanks -Mark[grin]

How about this:

Free Course

Depending on your current skill/comfortability level, Sig has a Handgun Orientation course for a true beginner and a Basic Practical Handgun course that is the transition to their concealed carry courses. I believe that on some weekends they hold them on a Saturday / Sunday. They are very good courses and much better than the basic NRA.

98 Cobra
Neshooters is offering a Suarez Defensive Pistol Skills coures on April 28 and 29 at the Westford Sportsmen's Club in Westford, MA for $265.00 including all range fees.

Jim,

IIRC 98Cobra is under 21, thus can't possess handguns in MA!

Run the course in NH and he'll be eligible to attend! [wink]

Would I be able to run the coarse if I borrowed a handgun from some1 of age?
Or even overnight my gun to the Range use it, then overnight it to my house [smile]

I would not recommend a defensive pistol course until you have already had an NRA Basic Pistol class. There are many, many Basic Pistol classes available in NH.

# Dunbarton - Saturday, May 12, 2007, Pioneer Sportsmen, $99
Steven Berthiaume, 603-529-0857. , [email protected]
Class types: Basic Pistol

# Manchester - Saturday, May 12, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $50
Horace Seymour, 603-817-4881. , [email protected]

# Manchester - Saturday, May 26, 2007, Radison Hotel, $200
James I Richter, 978-256-6216. , [email protected]
Class types: Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Instructor Training

# Manchester - Saturday, June 02, 2007, Manchester Firing Line, $125
Thomas Brown, 603-668-9015. , [email protected]
Class types: Personal Protection In the Home

# Manchester - Monday, June 04, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $200
Class types: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection, Home Firearm Safety, Instructor Training

# Manchester - Saturday, June 09, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $50

# Manchester - Saturday, June 16, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $75
Class types: Personal Protection

# Manchester - Saturday, July 14, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $50

# Manchester - Saturday, August 04, 2007, Manchester Firing Line, $125

# Manchester - Monday, August 06, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $200
Class types: Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Range Safety Officer, Instructor Training

# Manchester - Saturday, August 11, 2007, Wilson Hill Pistol Club, $50

Pelham - Saturday, June 23, 2007, 122 Bridge Street #9, $200
James I Richter, 978-256-6216. , [email protected]
Class types: Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Instructor Training

Last edited:
Would I be able to run the coarse if I borrowed a handgun from some1 of age?
Or even overnight my gun to the Range use it, then overnight it to my house [smile]

Regrettably not in MA. Mere possession (even on the range) could get you arrested and convicted here.

I'd recommend that you stay away from MA until you are at least 21 and eligible under our insane laws to possess a handgun here. You seem like a level-headed person, so there is no point in risking your future due to MA gun laws.

Sorry that I don't have better answers for you.

Regrettably not in MA. Mere possession (even on the range) could get you arrested and convicted here.

I'd recommend that you stay away from MA until you are at least 21 and eligible under our insane laws to possess a handgun here. You seem like a level-headed person, so there is no point in risking your future due to MA gun laws.

Sorry that I don't have better answers for you.

Yeah I was joking around with that last post, I dont want to risk not ever being able to legally own a firearm again.

Getting your gun here and back home might present (not insurmountable) problems, but if there's some legal issue with someone under 21 possessing a handgun under the supervision of a licensed person for purposes of training it slipped in recently under my radar. Just about every NRA instructor here does it regularly.

Ken

Ken, give the law a read again. I couldn't find any exemption on handguns (only on long guns).

Maybe I missed something.

I also had a discussion with Ron Glidden about it and he concurred with me that the risk was quite possible.

??? Here's what I've been relying on:
MGL Chapter 140 §129C
No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:
(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

Without this exemption we'd seem to have a classic Catch 22, where you need an LTC to hold a handgun, but first have to take a class that requires holding a handgun in order to get an LTC. It seems pretty straightforward to me, particularly in comparison to a lot of the laws that tend to be written like Menino speaks. Of course, there's always the risk that the officer on the scene might not be focused on this part.

Ken

Last edited:
Remember this question is wrt to someone under 21 yo. Ch. 269 S. 10 IIRC (from memory). That's a criminal statute and may well trump the gun laws statute.

Back
Top Bottom