Red Dot mount for Ruger MK3

should I tap and buy a base or just use the clip

• tap and buy a base.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • just use the clip on.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Should I go with tapping it for a weaver style base or should just buy the clip that is made for the gun? Cost is roughly the same. Tapping is lower profile I guess, but the clip is removable.

My MKIII came with a mount and three screws. The barrel was already tapped. Took about 30 seconds to install. A cheap Walmart BSA 30 dollar red dot and I can hit golf balls all day long.

My MKIII came with a mount and three screws. The barrel was already tapped. Took about 30 seconds to install. A cheap Walmart BSA 30 dollar red dot and I can hit golf balls all day long.

Mine is not tapped. It's the base model. I could tap it, or have a gunsmith do it for $30.

before i got my MKIII i borrowed a Mk 2 that had a red dot mounted a little
high, i didn't like it all. My MK III is tapped, and i would suggest you have
it done, $30 is cheap enough.

JimB

Be a man; use iron sights! [wink]

I use those for the Glock. My theory, which may be entirely wrong, is that by training with the red dot I will teach my muscles what to do. I'm hoping this will translate into good practice for other guns, like my G17.

I use those for the Glock. My theory, which may be entirely wrong, is that by training with the red dot I will teach my muscles what to do. I'm hoping this will translate into good practice for other guns, like my G17.

Tap it.

I love red dots but be wary of looking for your training with it to carry over to your G17. With a dot, your shooting focus tends to be on the target with the dot projected over it. With iron sights, your focus is your front sight aligned with the target. I'm switching from dot to iron sights this week and the going through that struggle to maintain the right focus as I'm shooting. I agree using the dot will help you work on muscle memory while taking a break from worrying about the sights so much.

Tap it.

I love red dots but be wary of looking for your training with it to carry over to your G17. With a dot, your shooting focus tends to be on the target with the dot projected over it. With iron sights, your focus is your front sight aligned with the target. I'm switching from dot to iron sights this week and the going through that struggle to maintain the right focus as I'm shooting. I agree using the dot will help you work on muscle memory while taking a break from worrying about the sights so much.

I won't stop traing with the G17, hopefully the two things will meld into useful practice.

Back
Top Bottom