Remington 788 in .308

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I just found out that I am inheriting my Grandfather's Remington 788 in .308 along with a 60's vintage scope.

This was his harvesting rifle. He took deer, mule deer, and elk with it.

Anyone have any caveats or insights into what to look for/look out for? I won't have it in hand until the end of July, but wanted to see what I need to look out for so I can pass it along to the next generation.

I had one of those in the mid 80's (also in .308), I bought it used at the old Ivanhos in Watertown.
It functioned and shot reasonably well, it was nothing fancy, just a solid hunting rifle that worked, and you wouldn't be too upset if it got rained on or if it got scratched out in the woods.
I traded it away a long time ago, but I do remember that the magazine was sometimes finicky to remove and rattled around a bit.
However, you weren't limited to 5 round mags because 10 rounders were available for it.

So I just found out that I am inheriting my Grandfather's Remington 788 in .308 along with a 60's vintage scope.

This was his harvesting rifle. He took deer, mule deer, and elk with it.

Anyone have any caveats or insights into what to look for/look out for? I won't have it in hand until the end of July, but wanted to see what I need to look out for so I can pass it along to the next generation.
so, read that and even with a grain of salt - i would avoid extra hot loads in it. modern .308 that modern AR10s can handle may not be suitable for old 1960s .308 actions.

so, read that and even with a grain of salt - i would avoid extra hot loads in it. modern .308 that modern AR10s can handle may not be suitable for old 1960s .308 actions.
Naaaa. The 788 is good to go with any 308 load you could cook up. 9 locking lugs, plenty of steel.
1960's, in the grand scheme of firearm "modernity", is not at all old.

I had one in the 90's, but in .223. Super accurate. It came with a fixed 4X scope with a German post reticle. I used to shoot golf balls off of fence posts. They have a reputation for being very accurate, although if they are anything like the 600 Mohawk (in .308) it will feel like a mule is kicking your shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom