Remington/Bushmaster Highpower clinic videos

PatMcD

NES Member
When we were down at Camp Butner a few weeks ago to shoot in the Creedmoor Cup, we went to an abreviated Team Remington/Bushmaster clinic on Highpower rifle shooting. It was a 1/2 day clinic instead of the usual 2-day that they hold elsewhere.

I learned quite a bit from it. A lot of it I already knew, but had forgotten. Some of it was new information that I have included in my shooting and it has really helped my scores.

I took a few videos with my camera and put them up on youtube. Forgive the shaking. I asked Ken Roxburgh if it was o.k. for my to share this information and he said "Absolutely!".

Importance of a wide front sight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp69CCY71d4&feature=relmfu

Reading wind/mirage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4qoGrj0UU&feature=relmfu

Attaching the leather sling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80JyfZ4gBQ&feature=relmfu

Prone position: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE8RDSyrJY&feature=relmfu

Sitting and standing positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVVeKY_puY&feature=relmfu

When we were down at Camp Butner a few weeks ago to shoot in the Creedmoor Cup, we went to an abreviated Team Remington/Bushmaster clinic on Highpower rifle shooting. It was a 1/2 day clinic instead of the usual 2-day that they hold elsewhere.

I learned quite a bit from it. A lot of it I already knew, but had forgotten. Some of it was new information that I have included in my shooting and it has really helped my scores.

I took a few videos with my camera and put them up on youtube. Forgive the shaking. I asked Ken Roxburgh if it was o.k. for my to share this information and he said "Absolutely!".

Importance of a wide front sight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp69CCY71d4&feature=relmfu

Reading wind/mirage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j4qoGrj0UU&feature=relmfu

Attaching the leather sling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80JyfZ4gBQ&feature=relmfu

Prone position: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE8RDSyrJY&feature=relmfu

Sitting and standing positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPVVeKY_puY&feature=relmfu

I finally got my sling on right. I had to watch it 3 times though [laugh] Thanks for posting.

I just shot my first match onthe 19 th. Had fun. Shot better than I thought. I was just going into it saying " no misses and no crosfires "
this video was very good.

What do you guys who have been around for a while think about using a wide front sight and a COM hold? My experience has been contrary to what Rox had to say in that regard. (Meaning I shoot a .052 and a six o'clock, and it seems to work a lot better for me.)

I find it easier to concentrate on the front post when there is more of it to see. That might be an aging eyesight thing, though.
I started using com for 600 immediately after that clinic and a lot of my elevation issues went away.

If I had to pick one thing to find fault with Ken Roxburgh's teaching technique, it would be his "my way or the highway" attitude. He's a retired USMC Master Gunnery Sargeant, so he's used to getting his way, but his way is not the only way.

If you have good eyes, you tend to move back and forth between the target and the front sight. You need to train yourself to only focus on the front sight. Some sight pictures can help with that. If you obscure the target with the front sight, you can only look at the front sight.

1993 was the best year I ever had shooting the service rifle. Won two leg matches (489 (legged out) & 494), was burnt as a new shooter at Perry with a 489 and managed to be the high shooter on the two USAR teams that shot and I made the 990 club. All with the M14 and Fed. Match loaded with 168s.

In 1992 I shot great at 200 & 300 and sucked ass at 600. I'd go back to 600 down 10 points and shoot a 183. My coach told me that I should do something different with the sight picture at 600. He suggested a Navy hold (COM) and I modified it a little bit and shot with a little nub of black up top. Sort of like a big nipple. Took about half a dozen strings, and then 600 became something I was confident to shoot. I could call my shots much better and actually hit the 10 & X ring with regularity. However there are some ranges like Reading that made my 600 hold difficult. Reading has a background that is the same color as the target. You lose a lot of the reference area if you can't see the edge or top of the target that a green or blue background provide. I kept LOW for my short line sight picture.

In 1995 I transitioned to the AR and the hold did not work any more. I had to go back to LOW and I shot my only clean at 600 with the Service Rifle. I used a narrow front sight.

HTH.

B

200 & 300 sight picture.

scaled.php

scaled.php

600 yard sight picture with M14.

scaled.php

scaled.php

I was originally trained to hold COM (Marines, go figure) so that's what I did for a long time. Over the winter I tried a six o'clock hold and my scores went up quite a bit and I felt like I could call my shots a lot closer. I'm still learning and trying new things so maybe I'll switch back.

I did shoot an offhand string with Jeff's rifle a couple weeks ago due to a problem with my rifle. He uses a .072 and I felt like I was swimming in the thing. Lots of shots at 3 and 9 o'clock as I recall...

That's great stuff to share bpm thanks!
I'm trying this match with my M1A . Working alot on the sight picture out at 200 yds just starting to
pull my group together . I still need three things . Practice practice practice !! That off hand is still a little unstable .

I sometimes think the 0.072" is too wide, but every time I try to shoot something smaller, I find myself straining BIGTIME to see the front sight. you see, i'm quite literally blind as a bat (-6.50 diopter in my right eye), so I need to *very* carefully tune my shooting glasses lens to be able to see the front sight (and the generic +.5 diopter doesn't work for me). I've tried COM, but could never quite figure out to hold elevation with it (and I can *hammer* my rapids with the tight 6-oclock hold, so I'm reluctant to try to fix what's already working)

I actually broke out my Tubb2k on sunday for the first time this year. shot the most comfortable match of my life sight-picture wise (and if it wasn't for a crossfire on my 18th shot, i would have cleaned my second relay (with a 200-12, no less). On my *best* days with the service gun i've shot 198's and 199's...usually average 194-196, if I REALLY work at it. with the round sights, 197-9x, 190-11x (crossfired an X on the next target over), and a 198-10x....and it was damned near effortless.

i'm REALLY looking forward to a match rifle after I finish the rest of my SR goals.

are crossfires a common occurrence ? that's my biggest worry..

Everyone crossfires at some point. I wouldn't say they're "common." I think I probably have about one a year. It's not the end of the world if you crossfire (though it might be the end of a good score. [grin])

I'll try like hell not to crossfire! June 16th at Augusta is going to be my first real match and I am thinking about switching to an AR instead of the M1a..
I've got a small issue with the front sight loosening because the castle nut doesn't line up properly with the set screw so after a few rounds the sight gets a little wiggly. I tried opening the land for the set screw but the thing still loosens..

are crossfires a common occurrence ? that's my biggest worry..

I believe there are 3 types of highpower competition rifle shooters.

Those that have crossfired

Those that will crossfire

And
Those that will crossfire again

decided to try one of roxburgh's tips last night, and shoot a bit higher of a prone position. i feel like I've been struggling to maintain a position prone lately (more laziness on my part, i dont take the rifle out of my shoulder at all until i'm completely done my string, and in turn, the rifle settles lower and lower in my shoulder, and requires a bit of adjustment here and there)

shot a much higher position last night for small bore prone. all in all, worked well. same score as last week (388/400), but a few more X's.

i tried to keep the rifle in my shoulder the whole time, but no dice. the one string i actually managed to do it, my entire arm went completely numb/asleep from the elbow down (tried loosening the sling, and I'm as loose as i can go without the rifle feeling sloppy in my shoulder)

example of the *higher* position
2012-05-30_21-12-03_32.jpg

top view
2012-05-30_21-12-51_0.jpg

I also took a picture of my sitting position...as i tend to feel its my strongest (its rare for my to drop a point sitting anymore, and I've got a BUNCH of 7 and 8x cleans to my name now)

folded in half
2012-05-30_21-10-05_874.jpg

front view
2012-05-30_21-10-41_90.jpg

i can't agree with roxburgh on the crossed ankle position. I've tried it, and i can't for the life of my figure out how to get comfortable in it.

Last edited:
Jeff,

If you could get just a tad bit lower in that sitting position you could have your firing elbow all the way down onto your foot too... :)

Rancho, I did my first match on on the 19th at reading. I had a crossfire fear also. I did not do it, I can see how easily it can happen. Im sure it will. Get a little tired/dehydrated loose focus and bingo....
Few tips from a fresh new guy......have extra mags at least 4 min. I had to to the mag reload dance with only 2 mags. I had enough time to load them BUT one less thing to worry about gives you more time to focus.
Spotting scope. Make sure you can see through yours from your posistions. @ 200 standing I had no problem seeing the shot markers so not a big issue. I didnt relize my scope stand only can with 1 24" rod. useless for standing. Prone, I could not get my scope in a decent posisition to see through it. It was such a PITA I stopped trying. This cost me many points im sure. Relax, plenty of water and snacks. Keep it to the basics I did a lot better than I thought I would on my 1st run. As for which rifle....if the M1A is giving you fits dont use it. Not seeing your issue I hat to see what a loose front sight will do to you @ 600 yards
Im more worried when I will ahve to work the pits!

Last edited:
Rancho, I did my first match on on the 19th at reading. I had a crossfire fear also. I did not do it, I can see how easily it can happen. Im sure it will. Get a little tired/dehydrated loose focus and bingo....
Few tips from a fresh new guy......have extra mags at least 4 min. I had to to the mag reload dance with only 2 mags. I had enough time to load them BUT one less thing to worry about gives you more time to focus.
Spotting scope. Make sure you can see through yours from your posistions. @ 200 standing I had no problem seeing the shot markers so not a big issue. I didnt relize my scope stand only can with 1 24" rod. useless for standing. Prone, I could not get my scope in a decent posisition to see through it. It was such a PITA I stopped trying. This cost me many points im sure. Relax, plenty of water and snacks. Keep it to the basics I did a lot better than I thought I would on my 1st run. As for which rifle....if the M1A is giving you fits dont use it. Not seeing your issue I hat to see what a loose front sight will do to you @ 600 yards
Im more worried when I will ahve to work the pits!

Thanks man I appreciate the tips and encouragement I'm am really looking forward to the match. I'm heading to the shop and range today to do some work on the m1a and see if I can get the groups to tighten up..
I won't be able to use my AR because the barrel is 24inches

Last edited:
Rancho said:
Thanks man I appreciate the tips and encouragement I'm am really looking forward to the match. I'm heading to the shop and range today to do some work on the m1a and see if I can get the groups to tighten up..
I won't be able to use my AR because the barrel is 24inches

You can shoot it, you'll just have to compete in the match rifle category.

decided to try one of roxburgh's tips last night, and shoot a bit higher of a prone position. i feel like I've been struggling to maintain a position prone lately (more laziness on my part, i dont take the rifle out of my shoulder at all until i'm completely done my string, and in turn, the rifle settles lower and lower in my shoulder, and requires a bit of adjustment here and there)

shot a much higher position last night for small bore prone. all in all, worked well. same score as last week (388/400), but a few more X's.

i tried to keep the rifle in my shoulder the whole time, but no dice. the one string i actually managed to do it, my entire arm went completely numb/asleep from the elbow down (tried loosening the sling, and I'm as loose as i can go without the rifle feeling sloppy in my shoulder)

example of the *higher* position
2012-05-30_21-12-03_32.jpg

top view
2012-05-30_21-12-51_0.jpg

I also took a picture of my sitting position...as i tend to feel its my strongest (its rare for my to drop a point sitting anymore, and I've got a BUNCH of 7 and 8x cleans to my name now)

folded in half
2012-05-30_21-10-05_874.jpg

front view
2012-05-30_21-10-41_90.jpg

i can't agree with roxburgh on the crossed ankle position. I've tried it, and i can't for the life of my figure out how to get comfortable in it.

I can't remember if I caught on tape K. R.'s comments on why he advocates a higher position, so here is what he said; Optically, your eye "see's" best when it is looking straight forward. The lower your position, the more the eye has to rotate upwards. Your eyes will tire more quickly and the sight picture fades much quicker. I think the older we get, the more this theory comes into play.
Personally speaking, a few years ago, 600yds was my strong position. I had a super-low position and did quite well with it. Always left the rifle in my shoulder. Mid-190's usually. I think 197-12X is my all-time high with a SR. The last few years I have really struggled to break 190. The day after that clinic I went to a high position (about like your photo shows), a COM hold, and took the rifle out after every shot. Scores immediately went to 192-194. Not Match-winners obviously, but much better than I had been doing.
It's probably not the answer for every shooter out there, but it's something to try if things aren't going well.

Back
Top Bottom