RG400

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I'm thinking about replacing at least some of my coax with RG400...it's not real cheap but it's small in diameter, about the same as RG58 but will easily handle 1500 watts at <30Mhz. I am running RG8X right now to my OCFD and running 800 watts at times through it which is probably pushing it a bit. I have a bunch of RG213 but it's unwieldy and stiff.

Does anyone else on here run the 400? How do you like it?

I wish that I could help, but I've never run anything that small on HF. I'm currently running Andrew 1/2 inch Superflex to my OCFD antenna. I admit to being anal about minimizing signal loss. LOL.

Having said that, I would think that RG400 from a quality manufacturer would be good HF coax. The teflon core should resist contamination better than RG8X and that coax is double shielded.

For the low bands, I run LMR-240. 15/20M I run LMR-400. Much less expensive than RG400, and loss is actually less. I do use RG400 in my chokes and for jumpers in the shack.

I was gonna reply this. I think RG400 is perfect for jumpers and short runs, but LMR-400 looks ideal in most cases.

Agreed too, I hate r213. That said stuff never wants to take pl-259 connectors. It's like the darn strands resist all attempts to make good solder connections.

Is there anywhere that compares/contrasts the different cables? Maybe some sort of matrix?

I just took quick inventory:
RG8-X
RG174
RG58
and probably something different on the little magnetic antenna in my car. It is a much thinner profile.

Also, the different connectors?

Back
Top Bottom