• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle scope mounting

BW23

NES Member
I got a muzzleloader w/a factory scope. When I buy a new scope (same objective lens size, 40mm)….is it as simple as swapping it out using the factory mounts? Or do I need to replace the mounts?

This is my muzzle loader:

I want to replace with a Leupold VX 3HD:
- 9x to 14x zoom
- 40mm obj lens

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe cva uses a kronos scope on their guns. At least that's what was on mine. Nothing wrong with that scope for the woods in mass. I think the leupold is overkill for the intended use. I have been using a 4-10 vx3 for hunting out west, shooting out to 300 yards.

Just curious, why switch?

I believe cva uses a kronos scope on their guns. At least that's what was on mine. Nothing wrong with that scope for the woods in mass. I think the leupold is overkill for the intended use. I have been using a 4-10 vx3 for hunting out west, shooting out to 300 yards.

Just curious, why switch?
Only reason is that all the deer I’ve seen in my hunting area roam around sunset and current scope just isn’t good at seeing 100yds at sunset-to-30min past.

Any significant advantage, I’ll take.

Never any movement during the day which obviously the scope is just perfect for.

Only reason is that all the deer I’ve seen in my hunting area roam around sunset and current scope just isn’t good at seeing 100yds at sunset-to-30min past.

Any significant advantage, I’ll take.

Never any movement during the day which obviously the scope is just perfect for.
There’s my “white whale” I’ve seen the past 2 seasons and he’s huge but always just outside my tested range (100yds) and coincidentally always shows up at like 5pm…10-15min past legal shooting. Closest I’ve gotten is 140yds before that oldie suspects something and disappears in 1 leap. I’m always in awe how easily spooked they get in the woods even from afar. Yet in front of my house…I can close enough to club them haha.

I’ve only practiced 100yds. I need to get off my ass and qualify for the 300yd range so I can practice for 150yds and then I’d be good.

Plus the new scope will be great for going out west at some point for hunting w/a bolt action rifle.

Plus the new scope will be great for going out west at some point for hunting w/a bolt action rifle.
Some people do have luck moving scopes between firearms, but in my experience it leads to lots of problems.

Even with the screws properly torqued, loctite is often necessary to keep things from eventually shooting loose. And every time the mount is loosened or changed, the scope needs to be re-zeroed. I hear lots of people say they can remove, and then remount, a scope, and the zero does not change. But I have always found this is a crapshoot, and it needs to be rechecked in any case.

I have seen plenty of people with one scope on one rifle and they still have problems. Either things loosen up, or the zero wanders. These problems are pretty fixable, and should not be an issue. But once a scope is mounted, and the rifle is well zeroed, I try to leave everything alone unless I have a very good reason to mess with it. This would be especially true for a hunting rifle, where problems are much more serious than with a range toy.

Back
Top Bottom