Righty learning to shoot lefty

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything useful. Anyone got tips for a pretty decent right handed shooter learning to shoot lefty? My reason for this is more for cqb or right arm/hand injury. Right now i'm thinking that I just need to concentrate on my grip first off and then it'll start to feel more natural.

Anyway just wondering if others have been here before and had tips. If it helps I am one of those weirdos who although right handed is left eye dominant.

Thanks!

I did something weird last night, up this alley.

For the hell of it, I shot the last station of a round of trap, lefty.

I broke 4/5, but....man, what a difference - the gun felt like it was kicking the crap out of me (other shoulder not an issue); I couldn't keep my head down; it was tough to use my non-dominant eye.

Lefty pistol....I've done that, no issue - just a minor head shift.

My guess is that the best answer will be "practice"......

Practice. I have a friend that shoots lefty now and he was a righty. The funny story is he went into the Marine Corp as a righty and when they asked him which hand he shoots with he replied right. The instructor told him that's bullshit because the Corp hasn't taught him how to shoot yet. Been a lefty ever since.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

For you righties going to the left side is next to impossible. unlike lefties who can make the switch no problem......all jokes aside. As a kid I was always told "your on the wrong side of the gun" by my dad. He would have me shoot right handed. Unless of course we where in the field downing birds. As I naturally grabbed a shotgun LH.

Just take your time....If your right eye dominate. you will need to close or block the right eye for shotgun or rifle shooting. I use scotch gift wrap tape on my lens of my shooting glasses. my eyes get tired fast if I close one eye. The tape allows 2 eyes open

For you righties going to the left side is next to impossible. unlike lefties who can make the switch no problem......all jokes aside. As a kid I was always told "your on the wrong side of the gun" by my dad. He would have me shoot right handed. Unless of course we where in the field downing birds. As I naturally grabbed a shotgun LH.

Just take your time....If your right eye dominate. you will need to close or block the right eye for shotgun or rifle shooting. I use scotch gift wrap tape on my lens of my shooting glasses. my eyes get tired fast if I close one eye. The tape allows 2 eyes open

I am right handed left eyed dominant and I have always shot with the rifle in my left shoulder. just for shits n giggles the last time I was at the range I tried switching sides, with the exception of my eye not focusing as clearly through the scope I could shoot pretty well maybe a 2-3 in expansion of my group I was shooting standing and I accounted that more my body just not being use to steadying the rifle in that arm

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep on doing dry fire and next time i'm at the range i'll see how I do.

I started shooting about a year ago and one of the first things I decided was that although I am RH/RE dominant, for defense purposes it would be in my best interests to be a competent shooter LH/LE. At least once a month I set up 2 targets and switch right, left with each magazine. On a bad day they are at least all on paper, on a good day its hard to tell which target was for which hand.

Back
Top Bottom