Ring's blue guns

I just got one from Brownells. I am pretty disappointed. There are voids and chips all over the gun and there is no notch in the rear sight. The grip screws are stripped on the edges and the mold lines are roughly finished. It also looks crooked when you look at the gun from the back, as if the left half is slightly lower then the right half. Did I get a dud or is this how most blue guns come out? Are there any other brands that offer better finished guns? Normally I wouldn't complain because it's just a prop, but @ 35 dollars for a piece of molded plastic I expected a little bit more. The lack of a notch in the rear sight is the real clincher. I could file one in, but how am I expected to teach sight picture with the gun in that state?

Sandpaper, file, or Dremel. Could have been taken care of in the time it took me to type this reply.

Anything made from a mold has finishing marks (seams). Some items have them taken off (firearms) others don't (tires of most types). For $35, even if a little rough, I think it's a good deal.

If you disagree, then ask Brownell's for a refund or replacement. Maybe the manufacturer would take care of you. They've both been around for a while, and have good reputations.

Did you try them first?

Cross-X; said:
If you're going to return it, make sure to do so before you send it back to S&W. (grin)
S&W & Brownells won't take it if it's been filed on. [wink]

Last edited:
Sandpaper, file, or Dremel. Could have been taken care of in the time it took me to type this reply.

Anything made from a mold has finishing marks (seams). Some items have them taken off (firearms) others don't (tires of most types). For $35, even if a little rough, I think it's a good deal.

If you disagree, then ask Brownell's for a refund or replacement. Maybe the manufacturer would take care of you. They've both been around for a while, and have good reputations.

Did you try them first?

Hence the above, first ask manufacturers since there's a problem, maybe they'll say that's the way they all are, I believe that I've seen most of them that way, with handling and/ or sanding they smooth out the mold marks. If the answer is not to your liking, then ask Brownell's for a second one to see if it's better. If not better, then try to fix or refund. Not trying to be a d!c&, that's how I'd do it. Also, not trying to hijack your thread with the following: With your links to the filed extractor, maybe you could have asked the person who you purchased it from if they had touched it, or sent it back with their help to the gunsmith. It (the gun) was used when he got it, that's why I said what I said in the other thread. If he said he didn't touch it, then he didn't. If the well-known 'smith said he didn't touch it, then I would trust that he didn't. Either way, the person you bought it from could have gotten in touch with the (also) well known person HE bought it from, and maybe HE would have been able to say if it had been tweaked. Your attitude of self-rightousness and disbelief toward one of the most integrity-filled, honest people I know is why I got into such a huff. It was a used gun, that worked when you tried it with factory ammo, and it worked with other ammo (I used my reloads when I shot it, and the former owner used his reloads when he shot it. Before that, who knows?) in front of several other locals. 'Nuff said on that.

Please let us know if you find the next blue gun to be in better condition, or if you are just going to correct the issues yourself (although I don't know how easy it would be if it seems "bent"). Was it just the rear sight blade bent, or the two halves misaligned? If the latter, I would be surprised if they don't send you a better one.

This message is hidden because Mooney is on your ignore list.
Did anyone else hear that?

[EDIT]Filed a notch in the rear sight. I think I will send it to S&W and have them cut a dovetail in place of the GI front sight so I can add a hi-viz front sight.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom