robarms xcr

If you use their pull down menu (in the "Products" section) a closed front muzzle break and a fixed stock are available, with a permanent attach option available for the MB. I assume a rifle built with those two options would be MA legal. Of course then you have to ask yourself - Is it worth just over $1500 before shipping/transfer fee?
I was originally impressed with the caliber conversion kit aspect of it, but I would need to look into the availability of Mags, specifically Hi-caps (other then the 5.56). It seems doubtful however that with the calibers listed any would be found. Other then that it is pretty cool looking system, if I lived in free America I might look into one with more vigor.

It's a nice rifle but IMO would be an atrocity to neuter it to
be "MA ban compliant". [sad2]

-Mike

i contacted them about a ma compliant version, they said yes, they can, will, and have made ma compliant xcr's at the request of ma residents. according to them, they have already shipped a small number of custom xcr's to massachusetts.

I'm not sure why this rifle is not more popular. I haven't researched them enough to come up with a conclusion. I did however spend an incredible afternoon in Ohio last summer shooting two of these rifles. My buddy brought along 2,000 rounds of ammo and we spent hours running these rifles. I liked them so much better than any AR, (even my Colt), that I have ever fired. Accurate, smooth, ergonomic - perfect in my opinion. One of the nicest military rifles in 5.56 I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. And Mike is correct, it would be a shame to neuter one just to have it in this screwed up state....

Guy at my range has one and he likes it. Accuracy is decent and handling is good. The only thing I'd have to get used to is the trigger as it is on his rifle.

Joe R.

the xcr would be more popular in ma if gun shops here would stock them. most people probably don't know they make a ma compliant version.

i think the xcr would look pretty good with a fixed ace stock and a perm attached muzzle brake.

i will be ordering one after the new year.

Collectors and Four Seasons are listed as dealers on the Robarm Website....

I noticed that, I really would like to wait for the 7.62x39mm version of the XCR...

I wanted to build a decent gas piston 7.62X39mm AR 15 but with the piston uppers starting around 1k$ and all the ones I have seen being 5.56mm, I think the XCR might be one of a few options for me...

Any Thoughts?

I noticed that, I really would like to wait for the 7.62x39mm version of the XCR...

I wanted to build a decent gas piston 7.62X39mm AR 15 but with the piston uppers starting around 1k$ and all the ones I have seen being 5.56mm, I think the XCR might be one of a few options for me...

Any Thoughts?

1) what are you going to use for magazines?
2) In .223, you can use AR15 mags and preban AR15 mags are readily available.
3) I'd be far more interested in 6.8mm than 7.62x39

That's the problem with the 7.62x39mm version, it can't accept standard AK magazines. Robinson will be having special magazines made for the 7.62x39mm version, caps will be from low capacity 5rders to standard capacity 30rders. If you don't mind being stuck with low cap 5 and 10rd magazines, no big deal, but I personally like having/using standard capacity 30rd magazines for my rifles.

If you want a high quality rifle chambered in 7.62x39, buy a Saiga and convert it to PG and standard cap AK mags.

That's the problem with the 7.62x39mm version, it can't accept standard AK magazines. Robinson will be having special magazines made for the 7.62x39mm version, caps will be from low capacity 5rders to standard capacity 30rders. If you don't mind being stuck with low cap 5 and 10rd magazines, no big deal, but I personally like having/using standard capacity 30rd magazines for my rifles.

And if I'm limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather they were 6.8 than 7.62x39...

And if I'm limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather they were 6.8 than 7.62x39...

I was thinking of cost of ammo as well. 7.62x39mm rounds are pretty cheap...

1) what are you going to use for magazines?

I was also led to believe based on this Gunblast review of a Double Star 7.62x39mm AR : http://www.gunblast.com/Doublestar-762x39.htm that:

The rifles were shipped to us without magazines, but standard AR ten, twenty, and thirty round 5.56mm mags worked reasonably well. I mostly used twenty-round Colt mags from the Vietnam war era, which worked well when stuffed with seven of the fatter 7.62 x 39 cartridges. Loading any more than that into the magazine swelled the body of the mag, making it difficult to insert into the magazine well of the rifle. Standard thirty-round magazines were also tested, and functioned well, but I prefer the length of the shorter mags.

Anyone try this method?

To maximize the reliability potential of the XCR system or any other rifle for that matter, it is best to use the magazines said rifle was specifically designed for. The 7.62x39 XCR really won't be that much more accurate than a quality AK variant chambered for the same round, of which could be had for a lot less money. If reliability or money isn't that big of an issue for you, I'd say go for it, you could always get a 5.56 upper and use the 7.62x39mm upper for cheap practice/plinking.

XCR owner satisfaction

I have an XCR and love it. I ordered it directly from Robarms and had it shipped to Four Seasons.
The XCR combines the best features of the AR-15 (ergonomics), the AK47 (gas piston reliability and ease of cleaning), and FN FAL (left-sided charging handle, adjustable gas system). Then it goes one better with a quick-change barrel and 360 degree mounting rails. Mine is also extremely accurate and is not picky with ammo (5.56/.223).
The only alterations I made to it were to replace the standard AR-15 pistol grip with a Tango Down grip and I added optics.
As someone who owns AR-15s, MAK90/SA-85m/SAR-1, and a DSArms FN FAL, the XCR is a winner.
-M

Mack, what did you do about the muzzle device issue, did you go with a perm attached brake? Do you happen to have any pics of your XCR? Also, how solid is the barrel lock in? I understand it twists in then gets bolted in place?

XCR answers for nanerclip

I'll take a few photos today and post them.
When I ordered the rifle, I told Robarms that it needed to be MA-compliant (fixed stock, permanent muzzle break) and this was not a problem).
There is a barrel lock-in on the chamber side and a small indentation on the outside of the barrel that has to be lined up with screw hole on the receiver. A sturdy, hex head bolt goes through this hole and holds the barrel in place. It's a lot sturdier than it would seem and I've had no problems.
Pics later today.

6.5 Grendel appears to be pushed by just a single company (Alexander Arms). I'd suggest that you better be into reloading if you go that route...

This site seems to imply that dedicated magazines are needed:
What about magazines?

Three 6.5 Grendel-specific magazines are currently available (March 2006). Two aluminum magazines hold, respectively, 10 and 16 rounds. They have tilt-reducing followers designed specifically for the 6.5 Grendel. The 16-round magazine shares the same external dimensions as a 20-round .223/5.56 magazine, and allows prone shooting whereby the magazine extends no farther than the pistol grip. Alexander Arms also offers a 26-round stainless spring steel magazine, complete with an anti-tilt follower, a chrome silicon spring, and a black teflon coating.

Robarms XCR with Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T optics

I really, really like this rifle. It has the gas piston reliability of an AK-47, a left-sided charging handle like a FN FAL and the ergonomics and accuracy of an AR-15 (and takes standard AR mags). This is a MA-legal stock gun except for the Tango Down pistol grip and, obviously, the Leupold scope. It's just too easy to hit clays at 100 yd. with the scope at 3x magnification.
xcr.jpg

You break it open like an AR-15 for cleaning. You can change the free-floated barrel in two minutes or less. My gun is 5.56 NATO but you can also get conversion kits for 6.8 SPC; 6.5x39mm; and 7.62x39mm. It ejects brass strongly in the 2 o'clock direction.

Oh, I know, I just figured I'd post a link in case you were interested in seeing a better pic of it. That brake makes it real easy to pretend it's a real flash suppressor and not a brake [grin]

XCR Mass legal features

Actually, you have to special-order the Mass legal features since the rifle comes standard with a folding stock and a suppressor. It was no problem though.
-M

Back
Top Bottom