russian surplus 762x54r match brass cased?

I've seen it for sale a few times, up around $1 per round. I could never justify it to myself.

I also wonder how well it shoots.

I've seen some sights selling it for around 200$ a spam can .

I don't know how to read spam cans and didnt wanna get run for my money .

Collectors in nh has had a open spam can of it before.
It's packed a little different then the 54r spam cans I've bought .

Pretty cool. I've tried some brass cased ammo before but it was at 50yds so I couldn't test it out too much. I didn't notice the recoil being different from Bulgarian silver tip whatsoever.

Pretty cool. I've tried some brass cased ammo before but it was at 50yds so I couldn't test it out too much. I didn't notice the recoil being different from Bulgarian silver tip whatsoever.

Surplus is brass .... Copper washed lol .

The stuff you shot of mine I think is a lighter but longer bullet(no steel core)

Recoil is equal or a little less.

Russian Manufacturer, brass cased, berdan primed. Lead core corrosive ammo. There are

Surplus Russian Match/Target 7.62x54R ammunition. Late 1960s-70's surplus that features a 182grn lead core full copper plated steel jacketed Match bullet, BRASS case and corrosive berdan primer

this is the description.

For the money its only a fraction more than reloading cost. corrosive is a non issue. If it shoots better than the standard surplus thats a plus.

Last edited:
Cabela's in CT had tons of 7.62x54r hertigers. I cant remember the price but it was non corrosive, Ive heard good things

What's 7n1 ?

the russian "sniper" 7.62x54r that made it into the states.

It was essentially russian x54r that was made for SVDs and not PKTs or other heavier rifles. A bunch made it into the US and then got promptly halted due to fear of it being "armor penetrating."

It's got the best ballistics I've ever seen through my PSL. And I've fired surplus "brass" x54r, "match grade" (lol) wolf, and brass privi.

Brass privi is as close as it gets. But that 7n1 is tight as a virgin. Patterns well. Isn't heavy ball. But it goes for a premium these days.

the russian "sniper" 7.62x54r that made it into the states.

It was essentially russian x54r that was made for SVDs and not PKTs or other heavier rifles. A bunch made it into the US and then got promptly halted due to fear of it being "armor penetrating."

It's got the best ballistics I've ever seen through my PSL. And I've fired surplus "brass" x54r, "match grade" (lol) wolf, and brass privi.

Brass privi is as close as it gets. But that 7n1 is tight as a virgin. Patterns well. Isn't heavy ball. But it goes for a premium these days.

I guess they're hard to find in spam cans though. I took down the markings on the can to tell what it is, hope to come across it someday.

can you post a pic of the can you had, maybe I came across it? I just asked for a better pic of the cans and boxes to be sent to me?

I'm waiting on a pic of the top of the can. What does sniper in Russian look like.....its not described as sniper ammo only match.
I'm curious as I'm lazy when it comes to reloading for my mosin and Mauser. I have some 8mm Mauser "match" ammo that is night and day from the typical surplus and shoots on par with reloads...

I'm waiting on a pic of the top of the can. What does sniper in Russian look like.....its not described as sniper ammo only match.
I'm curious as I'm lazy when it comes to reloading for my mosin and Mauser. I have some 8mm Mauser "match" ammo that is night and day from the typical surplus and shoots on par with reloads...

I shouldn't share this because I want to find it first but I'm a nice guy.

HPIM2376small.jpg

You can make out 7n1 right on the can from what I can remember. Its 148 grain and like flintoid said, made specifically for Dragunov rifles. Corrosive but considered great ammo.

Back
Top Bottom