Rust removal for a old 1911

I'd like to try some rust remover on this firearm...

picture023vwj.jpg

I'm wary that it may damage the piece tho...It's sort of an antique (1914 Springfield) . Can any of you recommend a rust remover? I'm looking on the Brownells site and they all claim to be "harmless to metal".

outside of some oil and a soft cloth I'd leave it alone, unless you were going to send it out to be refinished

Last edited:
value

you do know that is worth larg money.I would get it apprased first.if its not an family erloom[?] I would sell it and get a new one.

you do know that is worth larg money.I would get it apprased first.if its not an family erloom[?] I would sell it and get a new one.

I'm not sure what 'grade' it is...
According to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms its potential worth is:

Exc: $7250
VG: 5000
Good: 3500
Fair: 2500
Poor: 1500

I would think 'Fair'. The grading system seems to be different for a firearm this old.

Also, apparently it's in the serial range that has the rare "stubby" hammer which adds 15 percent.

Think I'm going to put a few rounds through this puppy before I do anything....tomorrow [laugh2]

As long as it functions fine I wouldn't do anything other than the usual oiling. The gun has a nice patina to the metal, its a historical piece keep it that way.

Back
Top Bottom