S&B Ammo/Brass - Junk or what?

Patriot

NES Member
I got a box of this stuff in .357 Mag, 158gn and it was awful. In my 27 some of the rounds
wouldn't fit in the cylinder. When I shot some, the brass stuck in the cylinder and was a bear
to eject. I shot all of the remaining rounds from the box in my GP100 and while they fit in the
cylinder they did stick when fired and was almost as difficult to remove. I won't be buying
any of this stuff but is the brass junk and should I just move it to the recycle bag?

I'm surprised you had ANY problems with S&B ammo. I've always had good luck with it, first as factory loaded ammo and, second, as reloadable brass.

Was this actual factory S&B ammo?

PS: Glad to see you are enjoying my old 27 - neat gun.

Wow. Never used in in .357 but I have in other rounds without issue. My understanding is the brass is good... however I hate it because the primer pockets are tight (or slight crimp) which makes seating primers a big issue for me.

I've never had problems with S&B factory ammo, and the brass has been great with one exception: The cases from S&B .38 wadcutter loads had too-tight primer pockets. This was just the wadcutters - the "regular" .38 cases (and .357s) were just fine.

I've used lots of S&B factory ammo and reloaded the brass as well, without any problems. I haven't used any of the .357, however.

I process all of my brass wet. (I use an ultrasonic cleaner) When you put any other brand of brass in water, it just gets wet. On MANY occasions, when I put S&B brass in water, it...for lack of a better term, rusts. Only it's not a normal rust. Something... "grows" out of the brass. It's very unusual. I'll have to take a picture of one of the casings that I saved. It is definitely coming from the case because in one extreme case (I let it sit for weeks) it went in smooth and came out with sharp ragged edges along the mouth.

Whatever it is I can tell you this. I have a bin where I throw any round that I don't feel comfortable reloading. Almost every single case in there is S&B.

These were all 9mm FWIW

I got a box of this stuff in .357 Mag, 158gn and it was awful. In my 27 some of the rounds
wouldn't fit in the cylinder. When I shot some, the brass stuck in the cylinder and was a bear
to eject. I shot all of the remaining rounds from the box in my GP100 and while they fit in the
cylinder they did stick when fired and was almost as difficult to remove. I won't be buying
any of this stuff but is the brass junk and should I just move it to the recycle bag?

I've had the same experience with S&B .357 Magnum ammo. Since I don't reload I can't answer about the brass (although I suspect it shouldn't matter - I think the issue is with how S&B seats the bullet rather than the actual brass).

I’ve only shot S&B ammo (.38 spl.) to reclaim the brass for reloading and I’d never had a problem with either the ammo or the cases.

But this year I was helping out at a gun class when three factory S&B 38 Special rounds, from two different boxes, had the bullets fall out.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I've had decent luck with S&B brass over the years. Not the best stuff, but usable.

For personal defense ammo, buy the best stuff you can. That won't be S&B.

Back
Top Bottom