S&B brass is the worst!

I've heard that it's got tight pockets but man what a PITA. I had about 50 once fired S&B brass cases that I tried reloading. I did about 20 in the progressive press and decided I didn't like the way the primers were feeling. I did the remaining 30 or so with the RCBS hand primer. I was careful but they started off real tight and then just let the primer go in quickly... I swear I can't believe one didn't pop on me.... two were pressed in so hard I could see the dimple mark from the anvil. [frown] No more S&B for me... I'm done with them. Never had any problem like this with any other brass.

I don't know what your problem is caused by, but I'll take your S&B brass. I have NO problems with it whatsoever and I load on a progressive press. I love all those renters who leave their S&B laying on the range!

A swager will remedy that problem. I know its an extra step and expense to buy a swager but depending on how much you reload and if your source of brass is free, it may be well worth it.

What brand primers were you using?

I've reloaded thousands of S&B brass in 9mm and .223 without having to swage them using Winchester primers in a Dillon 550B without any problems. The Winchester primer cups seem to form well in tight pockets compared to other brands. CCI has never worked for me on a Dillon press in any caliber. I bought one box of them years ago and gave away 950 of the 1000.

S&B the worst brass? Not quite.

Actually AM-ERC is worse. Oh you can push primers into them, but the "brass" they use is as soft as butter. I toss them. As for the S&B the primer pockets are crimped. when my press stops dead instead of seating a primer, I pull the case and check it. Sometimes I find a WIN-NT case (in .45) that has a small primer pocket, or I find a crimped primer pocket. I have an exacto knife next to my reloader. I stick the knife against the edge of the primer pocket at a slight angle and spin the case. It takes the hard edge off leaving a small bevel to start the priner. I use mixed brass that I pick up from the range so I usually only have a few to do. If I had a hundred or two cases, I too would be looking for a swager.

Actually AM-ERC is worse. Oh you can push primers into them, but the "brass" they use is as soft as butter. I toss them. As for the S&B the primer pockets are crimped. when my press stops dead instead of seating a primer, I pull the case and check it. Sometimes I find a WIN-NT case (in .45) that has a small primer pocket, or I find a crimped primer pocket. I have an exacto knife next to my reloader. I stick the knife against the edge of the primer pocket at a slight angle and spin the case. It takes the hard edge off leaving a small bevel to start the priner. I use mixed brass that I pick up from the range so I usually only have a few to do. If I had a hundred or two cases, I too would be looking for a swager.

+1 on AMERC Gramps and I have experimented with the EGR full length die and still no luck, and have both had trouble with 45ACP S&B.

If Scriv wants the S&B he can have it. I will put what little I get aside.

As for the NT small primer, save it for me. I am planning on using it for Small pistol primer revolver loads [wink]

I only had about 50 from a new box I had. It was 9mm with Winchester primers.

I didn't know they were crimped?? But I agree, if the primer doesn't start going in I think I should just toss them. Most other cases allow the primer to go in the first part of the pocket fine with a little resistance to seat fully. The S&B almost seemed like the primer wasn't aligned right. Almost like a little taper on the pockets would help. Is that what a swage is?

I only had about 50 from a new box I had. It was 9mm with Winchester primers.

I didn't know they were crimped?? But I agree, if the primer doesn't start going in I think I should just toss them. Most other cases allow the primer to go in the first part of the pocket fine with a little resistance to seat fully. The S&B almost seemed like the primer wasn't aligned right. Almost like a little taper on the pockets would help. Is that what a swage is?

A primer pocket swager displaces the metal of the primer crimp out of the way. Military brass is made with crimped (or staked) primers as well as crimped bullets for reliability under the worst conditions.

There is no good reason to throw away brass with crimped primers unless you simply do not want the extra step of swaging or reaming the primer pocket (which by the way, only needs to be done once).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread in the GT reloading section right now about some of the Winchester brass being made by S&B. HQBrass started the thread and he said he was having problems with the primer pockets with this brass in .40 and .45.

+2 on Amerc being the worst. I've gone so far as to keep a small bag of it on my bench so I can give one to anyone I know starting reloading. I give them one and tell them to stay away from it.
Although, now that I'm lubing my cases, which I've never done before (thank you GTOShooter), maybe I should give them a try again.... Naah.

-Cuz.

I used to use AMERC brass. Note the past tense.

It was plentiful because the ammo was so cheap, people bought it instead of Blazers and continued to litter the range with their cases. Since AMERC is brass, I scooped them up in large quantity.

AMERC had the highest percentage of off-center primer holes and split cases of any brass I've used. While I actually reloaded a few hundred of them, they became too much of a nuisance. I now toss any I find into the recycling bin.

Back
Top Bottom