S&W 5906

A friend of mine wants to sell me his 5906. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know condition or whether it was a trade-in but I know he bought it from someone.
We haven't discussed a price so I'm looking for some insight please.
Thanks

Kinda cart before the horse situation here. 3rd gen prices are all over the place.condition? Preban mags?

It will depend somewhat on condition but also configuration - which type of sights it has and whether it has the larger squared trigger guard or the round one. Plus if there's anything special about it - lots of police guns. Or if it comes with the original box and paperwork.

These go anywhere from $300 to $2500 depending, but typically are going around $600 on average.

If you are in MA and it has any pre ban magazines then expect to pay a premium price. Early ones came with 14 round magazines, later ones with 15 rounds.

As to the gun itself, it's heavy as hell, but also incredibly accurate. Mine is a range only gun since I have other more easily carried 3rd Gens available.

The part is that they rarely break. The bad part is that support is limited as they have been out of production since 1999. Most frequent reported problem is that the tip of the ejector breaks off. Easy fix and someone I know sent their 4006 back to S&W and they replaced the ejector.

Keep it cleaned and lubed and change the recoil spring about every 5K rounds and it will last forever.

As voidoid says condition is important.

If you are in MA and it has any pre ban magazines then expect to pay a premium price. Early ones came with 14 round magazines, later ones with 15 rounds.

As to the gun itself, it's heavy as hell, but also incredibly accurate. Mine is a range only gun since I have other more easily carried 3rd Gens available.

The part is that they rarely break. The bad part is that support is limited as they have been out of production since 1999. Most frequent reported problem is that the tip of the ejector breaks off. Easy fix and someone I know sent their 4006 back to S&W and they replaced the ejector.

Keep it cleaned and lubed and change the recoil spring about every 5K rounds and it will last forever.

As voidoid says condition is important.

S&W also produced the 5906TSW from 2000 - 2004. I have one.

I owned one.

I no longer own it. I don't miss it. It does nothing that scores of other guns don't do just as well (or better), it looks kinda weird, it's got a manual of arms I couldn't get used to, it's heavy as all get-out, and it's got too many parts. I didn't enjoy assembly/reassembly either. I'd only pay $400 for one of these (exclusive of multiple preban mags), and even then I'd only buy it in stainless because I enjoy Reservoir Dogs.

A better all-steel wonder nine is the BHP, bar none. I'd get one of those instead (I did get one of those instead); worn ones are cheaper than some 5906s, and FEG clone versions are cheaper still. But if you do buy one, I've still got some mags I'd sell ya.

A friend of mine wants to sell me his 5906. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know condition or whether it was a trade-in but I know he bought it from someone.
We haven't discussed a price so I'm looking for some insight please.
Thanks
I'm an S&W 3rd Gen guy, but it's not my favorite 3rd Gen. Depending on the "why" that you might want to own a heavy all-steel 9mm, I feel there are better choices within its class or within the 3rd Gen realm. If you are at all into modern plastics, you probably won't appreciate it's weight or its relative complexity. The design is a bit dated now and many parts are getting hard to find.

That said, if in excellent shape and at the right price, even I would buy another one. I prefer the fixed sights model and later rounded trigger guard version. Much better (IMHO) is the Model 5903 with the aluminum frame, but they are very hard to find in top condition. Same with the aluminum frame TSW model.

I keep hoping that a 5903TSW or an even more rare 5943TSW will show up somewhere for sale.

I saw a very nice 4046 with two magazines for sale last week, but I'm not a .40S&W guy.

The only gun I really want is an ultra rare 457DAO as made for Chicago PD. Since they only made a few hundred for off duty and detective use I don't expect I'll ever see one.

As you say, they are terrific semi autos. I carry a 3913TSW most of the time. It's not a lot heavier, if at all, than my Mossberg MC1sc, which I carry when traveling.

I'm an S&W 3rd Gen guy, but it's not my favorite 3rd Gen. Depending on the "why" that you might want to own a heavy all-steel 9mm, I feel there are better choices within its class or within the 3rd Gen realm. If you are at all into modern plastics, you probably won't appreciate it's weight or its relative complexity. The design is a bit dated now and many parts are getting hard to find.

That said, if in excellent shape and at the right price, even I would buy another one. I prefer the fixed sights model and later rounded trigger guard version. Much better (IMHO) is the Model 5903 with the aluminum frame, but they are very hard to find in top condition. Same with the aluminum frame TSW model.

Like GaryS, I am a big fan of Third Gen S&W autos. And I happen to think that the 5906 is perhaps the finest duty-size 9mm auto ever made, just as I think the 3913 is the finest concealed carry 9mm auto ever made. A couple of comments:

An objective of S&W when the 39/59 first came out was to make an auto that would have a trigger just about as good as S&W DA revolvers used to be. In my judgment, by the time the Third Gen came along, that objective was achieved.

To be a fan of Third Gen S&W autos, one has to either tolerate or laud the DA/SA auto function, which means adapting to the switch between the first shot DA trigger and the following shot SA trigger. I like the DA/SA auto function. Others do not. So be it.

I am not a fan of magazine disconnects. In many pistols, the mag disconnect parts are a necessary link in the trigger function: when present, they degrade trigger break, and if removed, something has to be added in their place to counter further trigger break degradation. Not so with the Third Gens: the pistols’ triggers will not even notice removal of the mag disconnect, achieving which is as simple as removing the white plastic spring-loaded thing in the slide under the rear sight.

I used to own a S&W Performance Center 5906. I bought it to shoot IDPA with but never used it because I shot the G34 better. What a gorgeous piece of machinist art.

Sadly I sold it. And now they are worth big bucks. I want it back.

The PPC 5906 is even cooler, and more money.

So the 5906 is the early edition with the weird trigger guard. It's in beautiful shape but he says he's got $500 into it. Problem for me was when the trigger returns, my finger got pinched the top so it's a no go for me. When I looked at the mag it was a 17 rd not 15.

I think that the 17 round magazines were after market. The squared off trigger guards were all the rage in the mid 1980s and into the very early '90s. Those were the "Type 1" trigger guards. Then they rounded them off and those were the "Type 3" trigger guards. I don't know what happened to the "Type 2" trigger guards.

So the 5906 is the early edition with the weird trigger guard. It's in beautiful shape but he says he's got $500 into it. Problem for me was when the trigger returns, my finger got pinched the top so it's a no go for me. When I looked at the mag it was a 17 rd not 15.

Yeah, take a pass on it. The early trigger guard is pretty weird (IMHO) and you've got big fat fingers there Big Al! [laugh]

Seriously, I don't see it as the right gun for you... and I say that as both an owner and a dedicated 3rd Gen aficionado. I think I've followed your pistol history & preferences over time on NES and I just don't see a heavy full-size all-stainless-steel 9mm with a funky look and poor holster choices being your dream gun. And yes, as GaryS points out, the 17-round magazine is not S&W OEM. It is likely a Mec-Gar magazine.

All of the magazines for 5906 pistols were manufactured by Meg-Car, and still are. Those that were supplied with pistols by Smith & Wesson were 15s, but I believe Meg-Car now makes 17s for full size 59xx series pistols. Most, if not all, of the former would be pre-ban; not so, for the latter.

Added: Apologies to EJFudd, whose post I did not read before authoring the above.

Last edited:
On the advice of counsel, I can neither confirm nor deny that I do or don't own some 15 round magazines that were manufactured by Mec Gar on a date which may or may not have been after the "high capacity" magazine ban.

As they are not marked "For Law Enforcement or Military Only" I will maintain that they are so called "pre ban."

All of which is moot as I no longer live in a state with a silly magazine ban.

On the advice of counsel, I can neither confirm nor deny that I do or don't own some 15 round magazines that were manufactured by Mec Gar on a date which may or may not have been after the "high capacity" magazine ban.

As they are not marked "For Law Enforcement or Military Only" I will maintain that they are so called "pre ban."

All of which is moot as I no longer live in a state with a silly magazine ban.
LOL!!! [laugh] Guilty!!! [devil]

Seriously, it must be nice to be completely free of our Massachusetts anti-2A insanity re: pre- vs. post-ban magazines. [cheers]

It is, although it takes some getting used to.

I bought a 3913LS from a guy who lives not far away. We met, showed each other our DLs, exchanged money for gun, and then just chatted for a while. That's it, no eFA10, LTC not required.

Can carry loaded or rifle in truck without locking it up.

Don't need ID to buy ammunition.

Don't need to lock up guns in house. I mostly do against theft.

No "assault weapons" restrictions or bans.

No handgun roster or non roster roster. If I see a 3rd Gen on line that I want, all I need is a FFL for the inbound transfer. Speaking of which, many offer a discount for transfer if the buyer has a LTC. Still have to fill out the 4473, but they don't have to call because the DPS runs a complete background check before issuing.

One of the first things I did when I finally had time to start unpacking my guns was replace the fixed stock on my AR with an adjustable one.

Seriously, it must be nice to be completely free of our Massachusetts anti-2A insanity re: pre- vs. post-ban magazines. [cheers]

It is, although it takes some getting used to.

I bought a 3913LS from a guy who lives not far away. We met, showed each other our DLs, exchanged money for gun, and then just chatted for a while. That's it, no eFA10, LTC not required.

Can carry loaded or rifle in truck without locking it up.

Don't need ID to buy ammunition.

Don't need to lock up guns in house. I mostly do against theft.

No "assault weapons" restrictions or bans.

No handgun roster or non roster roster. If I see a 3rd Gen on line that I want, all I need is a FFL for the inbound transfer. Speaking of which, many offer a discount for transfer if the buyer has a LTC. Still have to fill out the 4473, but they don't have to call because the DPS runs a complete background check before issuing.

One of the first things I did when I finally had time to start unpacking my guns was replace the fixed stock on my AR with an adjustable one.
It would be total culture shock for me after a lifetime in loony, moonbatty Massachusetts. [laugh] I would have to reassess literally everything. 🤓

After a lifetime in MA, I just smile when I think of how much better I have it now. Not long ago I bought a 5906 (not even close to my first S&W auto) in a movie theater parking lot with the only paper exchanged being cash. Then mail ordered 2 NEW S&W 15 round mags, just dropped in a USPS flat rate box and sent to my door, no dam ID.

Nothing like a little more freedom to to make you realize there was a boot on your throat.

It's not just guns, there are a lot of things different outside of MA. As my wife commented, it's easier to think of it as moving to a different country. There are some things about MA that I liked better, but it's more a matter of getting used to doing things differently.

The only thing I really miss about MA is the friends we left behind. Ironically, one couple sped up their plans to move out after we made out decision. A couple others are no longer with us, so I miss them on a different level.

It would have been easier in some ways if we could have done it when we were younger, but we can't go back in time.

It would be total culture shock for me after a lifetime in loony, moonbatty Massachusetts. [laugh] I would have to reassess literally everything. 🤓

I think that the 17 round magazines were after market. The squared off trigger guards were all the rage in the mid 1980s and into the very early '90s. Those were the "Type 1" trigger guards. Then they rounded them off and those were the "Type 3" trigger guards. I don't know what happened to the "Type 2" trigger guards.
Funny thing is that current Glocks still retain the 80s style trigger guards.

I was told by a high speed low drag type guy (whose experience I believe to be real) that the point corner of the Glock hand guard is a good striking weapon to gain compliance. Ha.

Back in the early 90s I had an early 6906 carry gun. It had the same type trigger guard. With a 15 round RamLine mag, that thing was the Shizzle.

1718915848438.jpeg

Mine is a twin to yours. My understanding that the squared off trigger guard was inspired by the European style. It was also used on the 2nd Gen guns that S&W submitted for the competition to replace the 1911. It was carried over to the early 1989-1990 or so guns and later they went to the rounded trigger guard.

I have a 6906 that I carried for a while, but the 39xx guns are much easier to carry. I see that AIM Surplus has some 6904 LE (foreign) trade ins for $449.00. I'm tempted, but first I have to pick a FFL that will do the transfer and they'll likely be spoken for before I can get one. Not that I need one, but you know how that goes.

Oh, they also had some Gen 5 Glock 17 LE trade ins for $100.00 less.

Funny thing is that current Glocks still retain the 80s style trigger guards.

I was told by a high speed low drag type guy (whose experience I believe to be real) that the point corner of the Glock hand guard is a good striking weapon to gain compliance. Ha.

Back in the early 90s I had an early 6906 carry gun. It had the same type trigger guard. With a 15 round RamLine mag, that thing was the Shizzle.

View attachment 890370

Back
Top Bottom