• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 642 CT Accessories...

Happy Monday everyone! Well, this is the week. My name is Mark and it's been 20-years since my last wheel gun... [wink]

My 642CT should arrive shortly. I have already bought some ammo, but need some advice on a couple of things:

First, speedloaders. HKS seems to make the tried and true, but I notice both Safariland and Maxfire have offerings as well. Any opinions on which would be the best choice?

Also, I'm thinking of ordering a BlackHawk Serpa Level 2 holster. Seems like a nice rig, even though I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan. Any opinions?

Thanks - can't wait!

Mark

I use the safariland speedloaders and they are fine.

I use a little "Elite" pocket holster that I got for cheap money.

I would only buy a holster if I have:
a) fit my gun to it
b) felt it on my person as it would be carried

What ever is comfortable for you is best.

I have and use both the HK and Safariland speedloaders.

The difference is that the HK require you to twist the knob to release the rounds (after they are seated), while the Safariland has a plunger the matest to the inside of the star and releases the rounds when that plunger is pressed.

I regard the Safariland as slightly faster to use and good for competition, while the HK are more secure and preferred for carry purposes.

Thanks so far - appreciate the advice. Just got news that my 642CT is "delayed" distributor showed one on the computer, but he's out... [crying] I have them scrambling to find me one...Are these that popular??? Thnk I'll try the HKS to start with - they're cheap enough to trade in/replace if something works better. Still looking for info on the Serpa. Those that have them, seem to like them. Uses the trigger finger to release the lock on the holster during the draw...Looks interesting anyway. Can't believe it's been over 20-years since I've owned a wheel gun. Like a walk back in time, yet forward too. I bought some ammo today to get me started:

1 Box (50) Winchester +P 125gr JHP "Personal Protection"
1 Box (20) Speer +P 125gr GDHP "Personal Protection"
1 Box (20) Federal +P 129gr Hydra-Shok JHP

I have 2 boxes of Remington Golden Sabres inbound. Any other suggestions? Cor-Bon? Plinking? Thanks all...

I use a little "Elite" pocket holster that I got for cheap money.

+1...its what i use for my 642...after a while you barely notice that its there

plinking ammo...try and find a dicks sporting goods near you and get some of the remington umc stuff...you can get a discount if you buy a case (10 boxes @10% off)...its pretty good ammo...i use it in all my handguns...its not as wimpy as most of the other factory stuff...the .357 mag ammo they make spits a nice fireball from my revolver

I use the ultramax .38 remanufactureds. They are low power target loads and are lead SWC, but at $37/200 its a pretty decent deal from a store.

For my 317 (also a j frame, but 3 inch barrel) I have a mika IWB holster and a uncle Mike's IWB holster cut to fit the longer barrel. I understand that Mika also makes a highly recommended, ugly but very effective and affordable pocket holster.

My SW332 jframe in a Mika pocket holster. The scriggly stuff around the middle is tacky feeling and keeps the holster in the pocket very well. Just grab the grip of the gun, press it against your leg and pull, the holster stays and the gun comes out.

Best $15-16 you'll ever spend on a gun accessory.

mika.jpg

Happy Monday everyone! Well, this is the week. My name is Mark and it's been 20-years since my last wheel gun... [wink]

My 642CT should arrive shortly. I have already bought some ammo, but need some advice on a couple of things:

First, speedloaders. HKS seems to make the tried and true, but I notice both Safariland and Maxfire have offerings as well. Any opinions on which would be the best choice?

Maxfire are the slowest. They are a remake of the original Safariland rubber loaders. Buy them and you will not be happy.

HKS "slow loaders" hold the ammunition too loose and the knob can twist in your pocket. They also have been known to drop rounds.

Safariland Comp 1 loaders are the best of the three you listed for J frames. They hold the rounds tight for alignment, they hold the rounds if dropped, they hold the rounds intact in your pocket.

Look at the Jet loaders and SL Variant if you can find them. They are more competition type loaders but work well for CCW once you learn how to operate them and how to carry them

Also, I'm thinking of ordering a BlackHawk Serpa Level 2 holster. Seems like a nice rig, even though I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan. Any opinions?

Thanks - can't wait!

Mark

As for a level 2 holster for a J frame, I think it is a very poor choice. I prefer an IWB for concealed carry or a pocket holster. Having to push a button to release my firearm just rubs me wrong.

For my J frame, I have a Mika pocket holster and an Alessi WSDT IWB holster. The Alessi is great but will take you about a year to get. Milt Sparks makes a very similar holster (They worked on the design together) Don't know what the wait is.

For a standard production belt holster I would suggest aGalco Concealable Nice holster, conceals well with a good belt, and gives you easy access to the firearm.

Good luck,

Maxfire are the slowest. They are a remake of the original Safariland rubber loaders. Buy them and you will not be happy.

HKS "slow loaders" hold the ammunition too loose and the knob can twist in your pocket. They also have been known to drop rounds.

Safariland Comp 1 loaders are the best of the three you listed for J frames. They hold the rounds tight for alignment, they hold the rounds if dropped, they hold the rounds intact in your pocket.

Look at the Jet loaders and SL Variant if you can find them. They are more competition type loaders but work well for CCW once you learn how to operate them and how to carry them

As for a level 2 holster for a J frame, I think it is a very poor choice. I prefer an IWB for concealed carry or a pocket holster. Having to push a button to release my firearm just rubs me wrong.

For my J frame, I have a Mika pocket holster and an Alessi WSDT IWB holster. The Alessi is great but will take you about a year to get. Milt Sparks makes a very similar holster (They worked on the design together) Don't know what the wait is.

For a standard production belt holster I would suggest aGalco Concealable Nice holster, conceals well with a good belt, and gives you easy access to the firearm.

Good luck,

WOW! Thanks so much for the advice and links to boot. Galco! Why would I even think to stray? I carry my ParaCarry LDA in two different Galco rigs, (a CCP and an Avenger). Man, have their prices gone up! Worth it though, as my original Galco is spot on still, (I paid 40-bucks for it way back when).

I have a true newbie question about the pocket holster, so please forgive me. On the Mika holsters, I notice he offers different "cuts". Am I stupid, or is the round for front pocket carry and the square for back pocket carry? Or, would the square be for a cargo pocket etc..?

So I'm sold on the Mika holster, (designed by a cop always is an edge in my book) Galco, (of course) and the Safariland speed loaders. Now all I need is the damned gun. It went from: "probably be here tomorrow"(last Friday), to: "be here next week", to: I'm having trouble finding one... [crying]

642s are not hard to find because they are so damn popular that S&W churns them out, relatively speaking. You'll get one in short order. And yes, the cut on the holster is dependent on what kind of pocket you use. Your choice, I would go with the round cut.

WOW! Thanks so much for the advice and links to boot. Galco! Why would I even think to stray? I carry my ParaCarry LDA in two different Galco rigs, (a CCP and an Avenger). Man, have their prices gone up! Worth it though, as my original Galco is spot on still, (I paid 40-bucks for it way back when).

Look at Arizona Gun Runners prices
I have a true newbie question about the pocket holster, so please forgive me. On the Mika holsters, I notice he offers different "cuts". Am I stupid, or is the round for front pocket carry and the square for back pocket carry? Or, would the square be for a cargo pocket etc..?

It is actually for the type of pants you wear most. The one pictured by Pilgrim is round which is what I have. I wear jeans most of the time. I plan to order a square bottom model for my 511 pants I wear on weekends.

So I'm sold on the Mika holster, (designed by a cop always is an edge in my book) Galco, (of course) and the Safariland speed loaders. Now all I need is the damned gun. It went from: "probably be here tomorrow"(last Friday), to: "be here next week", to: I'm having trouble finding one... [crying]

Check AZ gun runners for the speed loaders too. Not sure but they may have them. I have dealt with them and they are a class outfit.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom