• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P M2.0 Metal

He did mine too, his carry package I think it was, & it came out great. Good cerakote job too. Was my first gun purchase years ago.

Then I realized I punched myself in the dick while skinflinting since I spent $300 on a $450 pistol.

But, Lou did awesome work. Does he only do 1911 stuff now though?
Yes, I believe now Lou ONLY does 1911 stuff... Builds, Mods...

When it comes to upgrades and mods I took two completely different Ruger MKIV .22's
that started out at $499 & $649 and tricked them out into pistols that cost over a grand a piece.
Although expensive... I absolutely love them... Everyone that I let shoot them said they are worth every penny!

Why don't they just bring back the Model 39, 3913, and 9mm Chief's Special in alloy ("Scandium"?) frame and slide?
Why a slight modernization of that platform isn’t a thing is beyond me. Maybe too much to produce and make a profit?

I'm pretty happy with the standard polymer mp9 - once I put an Apex in it. I wouldn't run out and replace it with an aluminum frame version just to have a new gun. I would, however, buy the metal in 10mm.

I've read the mp10 is having some problems consistent with a relatively new firearm. How long would you guys wait for a manufacturer to work all the bugs out?

I'm pretty happy with the standard polymer mp9 - once I put an Apex in it. I wouldn't run out and replace it with an aluminum frame version just to have a new gun. I would, however, buy the metal in 10mm.

I've read the mp10 is having some problems consistent with a relatively new firearm. How long would you guys wait for a manufacturer to work all the bugs out?

My father told me to NEVER buy the first production run on a new car. Wait until the second year or second version... I found that to be good advice for everything (digital as well as analog). Let others figure out what the kinks are and the manufacturer fix the production line...

YMMV.

Why don't they just bring back the Model 39, 3913, and 9mm Chief's Special in alloy ("Scandium"?) frame and slide?
That question has been asked for over a decade now. [laugh] Plastic won out over metal in the modern semi-auto pistol realm... cheaper, lighter, non-corrosive... remember? 🤔

Well, up until now apparently. :oops: Metal is suddenly back in style! The new "in" thang! [cheers]

I like polymer just fine as a duty gun or as an EDC. But admittedly as a range gun, I have always preferred metal over plastic. (just my preference)
It's going to be interesting to watch where this goes. I see that the new gun is cerakoted as opposed to more expensive (and more durable) finishes. Necessary cost cutting to get to their desired price point? Or someone just thought flashy space age looks over durability would sell best? [laugh]

But the funniest thing is still the surprise change in direction for S&W from "all-in on plastic" to "let's go back to metal for rigidity"!

Things like that amuse me. :)

All hail the Model 3913 and all its variants. [thumbsup]

Because they were mediocre when they were made 30 years ago. Garbage trigger, pathetic capacity, safety that goes the wrong way, high bore axis, a safety on the slide… 1990 can keep those S&Ws.

Last edited:
Steel? Aluminum? Titanium?
It makes a difference doesnt it?

"Metal" is just a term for "not plastic"
Looks cool tho

• Barrel Material Stainless Steel with Armornite® Finish
  • Slide Material Stainless Steel
  • Frame Material 7075-T6 Aluminum
So fairly standard selection of materials for modern "metal" guns. I like the notion of a slightly heavier gun. I may end up getting a metal frame for my P365X if Mischief Machine ever restocks their Alpha and Omega grips (assuming I can rationalize $300 for the grip), so I can see the allure here as well.

Then how do they justify this?
"This" meaning S&W's new all-metal (or mostly metal) M&P9 M2.0? It's a very good question. The answer is: I don't know. It's confusing. One thing for sure: This is not the return of our beloved 3rd Gens or anything anyone would seriously consider a (same family) 4th Gen. 🤔

The CSX confused me and this all-metal M&P9 M2.0 confuses me just as much. What is clear is the cosmetic similarity between the two and it suggests that there my be a whole new generation of all-metal pistols on S&W's drawing board. Why? I can only guess that S&W thinks they will sell. :confused:

For now, I remain amused and slightly curious, but not impressed. I have no plans to buy one and I doubt that will change. Maybe if I were younger, but I'm not. 👎

I am an "old school" Smith & Wesson aficionado. I've shot a plastic M&P9 M2.0 and I thought it was fine. But I would never need the added "stiffness" (per Jerry & Co.) as I am not at all competitive with Mister Miculek. o_O

I'm perfectly happy with my CZ P01 Omega which has an aluminum frame and is about the same size as a G19 or M&P Compact.

I don't know, the S&W website for this line looks like it is trying to copy the Sig "studio" for the P320. That, and if they were copying anyone for sales numbers, it would definitely be Sig over Walther. That Walther looks real nice though.
IMG-2542.jpg IMG-2517.jpg

The Walther is really nice & shoots great! Plus it has a GREAT trigger!

Then how do they justify this?
They going after the other end of the market.

Also like 50% of their consumer base are S&W brand glue sniffers. Smith acolytes will buy this immediately just because the logo is on it and it's a new product.... Somebody at smith saw collectors buying 3rd gens for stupid prices and thought " if we make a metal M&P we can get some of those weirdos to come buy that gun too".

Last edited:
The model 39 is the biggest ergonomic f****** piece of s*** disaster on the planet. I think it's one of the worst handguns I've ever held in my hand ever. I don't get the cult following other than somebody who's just a collector or something... it's actually a shitty, horrible gun.

The CS9 is pointless in 2022 when an old shield will basically curb stomp it.

I do think they could have kept a couple 3rd gens around, redesigned them and they would sell, but SW was too pussy to do things like ditch the mag safety and go decock only on most of them. DA/SA is dying anyways unless you're Beretta or Sig who will still get nostalgia sales from legendary status. The SW 3rd gens were basically just the average and never really stood out in any real way other than weird smith acolytes nobody is fawning over those things unless they redesigned them... The horrible rollmarks don't help either. It's a gun not a candy machine. It could only be worse if they used like Ms comic sans on the slide...
16401534_1.jpg

Its... TACTICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View: https://youtu.be/xMWrZdYoIOA

Like most people see a 3rd gen and they're like....

"Meh".

Last edited:
Am I the only one reading the comments about wishing they would add "lightening cuts" and "demassify it and it would make a good carry gun" and ending up baffled? I mean......they made the m and p out of metal to add mass......to make it a better target and range gun I would assume.....and immediately people want to modify it and make it lighter and saying if they did that they'd buy it. Fml.....they make lighter version.......its called the original m and p 😂
Dude, can’t tell if this is a troll or not, but “demassify” means basically fix the shitty 10lb trigger mandated by MA, not remove mass from the gun haha

My MP10 has been great. The only thing I haven't tried are 220gr.

Back
Top Bottom