• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SA M1A series rifles?

SA M1A series?

• Good

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • Sucks

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
I have a 2014 SA M1A Loaded in wood. Excellent shooter. 1.4 moa at 200 meters with my 168 gr match handloads , scoped shooting benchrest. Functions flawlessly.

Ive got a loaded with walnut and a scout with a fiberglass m14 stock i tried forever to make "modern", which resulted in an old usgi fiberglass stock with flush cup adapters in good spots, an adjustable gas block, better iron sights, smith enterprise mag release and bolt release, and thats about it. I could never make an optic work on it, because factory config is how they're designed to work.

They're cool guns, and a blast to shoot in their standard, or really any config, but are outdated and largely irrelevant when compared to, well... modern, .308 battle rifles. As far as modernizing them goes, you can put optics of them but pretty much anything you do will require a cheek riser or a new stock, most of the stocks are pretty lame and/or take away from the classic lines of the gun and turn an already overweight pig into an overweight pig with lipstick on it.

Do i have them? Yup. Do i enjoy shooting them? Yeah, but every round i send downrange with them could be more efficiently used training on my other modern 308 guns. So mine are pretty much serving the "dang that gun looks cool" role every time i reach in the safe and grab my SR25. In all honesty id rather have a FAL if i was going for a true classic 308 BR, they've got much more of a cool service history. The M14 was outdated when it was designed and lived a long drawn out life of being forced into service to meet a demand when there weren't enough M110's to give out to line infantry SDM's.

I just took a quick look, and the vibe of the members there makes Gunboards look like a bunch of liberals...
need not question m14
for whats itsa worth I did get good info from M14 forum and the want ad section was good to me. Just not much fun over there.

Yeah I have a M1a build to GI specs. It shoots as well as I can muster but I only have it for CMP Games match fun. Its a Over engineered , solution to a non problem M1 garand!
in its defense the M14 mil spec platform fits me better nad I shoot off hand with it better than a M1 both are easily sub 3 moa rifles when I can hold it!

They are fun and cool but as many said there are "better" $1500+ rifles

What's the NES brain trust (using that term loosely of course) on the Springfield Armory M1A series of rifles?

I'm considering picking one up in the coming months. Before I do, though, I need to hear both the good and bad about it. Should I be looking at something else (better?) in the same price range? I'm not opposed to changing over to a quality bolt action rifle instead (maybe built on the Howa 1500 action/setup). From what I'm seeing, I should be able to get most anything in that line for under $2500 (to me). From what I've also seen, I could build up a solid BA using the Howa 1500 barreled action for not more than that too.

I'm looking at 308 Winchester for either item. Mostly range toy, but could be looking to hunt at some future point (wouldn't be for at least a few years though). With the realistic ranges for the region, 308 Winchester would do either job without issue. I'm not looking at going beyond about 600 yards. Although with the M1A series weight they might not be all that good for hunting trips. Especially once you add a good optic on top. I won't be going iron sights since my eyes are not good enough for that (even with glasses/help).

If you vote in the poll, especially the negative option, at least post up which of the models you're referring to as well as the reason. Hell, do that for the 'good' option if you can.

I already have an AR10 (308 Winchester) rifle. Just looking at getting something else in the same caliber. Especially something with a box mag that would be easy to swap/load.
I only like the full size mil spec model. It does not take much to clean up the trigger and most shoot well enough. SAI at least has a good warranty. I built mine from parts and vaarious manufactures something goes wrong ....im screwed.

You could always go hog wild and build something like this

I’m indifferent to the M1 umbrella as a “primary tool” rifle. You have an AR-10 already and that would likely serve you better hunting. But what do I know, I’m just a text generator on a web forum.

That said, I still aim to eventually buy some version of an M1 for cool factor.

all of that made that rifle no more power full and I would argue not much more "accurate"

I know a guy that got the top of the line model, maybe called Whitefeather or National Match? He had to send it back to SA like 3 times.. This was a while ago, maybe 10 years so maybe SA puts out better product now...I would get the one from that manufacturer out of NY, LRB I think. I really like M1A's, just never got around to getting one. Even after my friend had all those issues, I still wanted one, I just knew if I got one it was going to be LRB, not SA.

Last edited:
I know a guy that got the top of the line model, maybe called Whitefeather or National Match? He had to send it back to SA like 3 times.
They were way better out of the box in the 1970's. I bought one of the early ones, a Super Match and it would do anything I asked it to do and that was with quality surplus military ammo. Reloads were exceptional.

Bula makes quality parts. Both of my current rifles are Bula with USGI stocks. Very good 1980-90’s USGI rifles and parts can still be found for a competitive price if you aren’t in a real hurry.

The 4th Gen. Springfield scope mount shook loose on me. I've been taking a serious look at the CASM mount (steel or alloy) to replace it. Here's the alloy: M14.CA | M14/M1A CASM Scope Mount

Sadly, my eyes aren't what they used to be and the iron sights don't do me any good...

The Bassett Machine mount has been good for me. It comes with its own torque wrench and uses the weight of the rifle to apply the proper torque. Sent A few hundred rounds without a problem. I took it off last season to shoot The Winter Warrior Postal Match. Can't wait to get out there again this year.

I have a 2014 SA M1A Loaded in wood. Excellent shooter. 1.4 moa at 200 meters with my 168 gr match handloads , scoped shooting benchrest. Functions flawlessly.
This is my experience as well. I spent a few months going back and forth between the SA M1A loaded and a more expensive forged Bula. In the end, the SA M1A (well, four seasons in Woburn technically) got my money and it has been rock solid so far.

These are not precision rifles, but getting 1.5-2 MOA with hand loads is my experience so far. Occasionally a clover leaf at 200 yards, and then I pack the rifle away for the day. Not getting better than that. Plus the cool factor of wood and steel is undefeated.

My only knock is the SA factory mount for the M1A standard issue design (i.e. not picatinny rail bridge). It has worked itself loose a couple times, but blue Loctite seems to have fixed that problem.

This is my experience as well. I spent a few months going back and forth between the SA M1A loaded and a more expensive forged Bula. In the end, the SA M1A (well, four seasons in Woburn technically) got my money and it has been rock solid so far.

These are not precision rifles, but getting 1.5-2 MOA with hand loads is my experience so far. Occasionally a clover leaf at 200 yards, and then I pack the rifle away for the day. Not getting better than that. Plus the cool factor of wood and steel is undefeated.

My only knock is the SA factory mount for the M1A standard issue design (i.e. not picatinny rail bridge). It has worked itself loose a couple times, but blue Loctite seems to have fixed that problem.
My precision was per my data and obviously that was my best, and all the stars were aligned and I was on my game with testing. I doubt that my 1.4 MOA at 200 meters would be a guarantee as far as consistiency, but it proves that some excellent precision can be had with a pencil barrel millsurp. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my box stock new production Loaded shot. I'm sure the downside circumstances would be laying down a 20 shot string in a competition in July (barrel heat)

I was thinking Vortex Razor HD LHT.
Did you ever get one of these?
I’m looking at them now for my 10/22 Competition. Just can’t seem to decide which reticle I like better. Probably going to go with the 3-15x42 just because it’s a little smaller, but I think I like the reticle on the 3-15x50 better.
Just wondering if you picked one up, and if so, how you liked it.

Did you ever get one of these?
I’m looking at them now for my 10/22 Competition. Just can’t seem to decide which reticle I like better. Probably going to go with the 3-15x42 just because it’s a little smaller, but I think I like the reticle on the 3-15x50 better.
Just wondering if you picked one up, and if so, how you liked it.
No, I never did.

Back
Top Bottom