Safe to use? bullet setback?

84ta406

NES Member
Was just taking some time to look over some new ammo I bought recently when I found these. I looked over two boxes worth and I only found 3 that werent "uniform." My question is are these safe to use? Id rather not risk blowing up my PPS. Im going to bring home a mic from work and check them all out 1 by 1 now, does anyone know a proper height for a 180gr 40 cal? Also these are brand new. Never been in a magazine or anything.

Attachments

• 20150124_231454.jpg
    20150124_231454.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 235
No, it is not safe. The .40 S&W operates at high pressures. Reducing the volume like that can have drastic consequences. See the Glock .40 in this picture"
GlockKaboom.jpg

I googled the dimensions for you:
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/40 SandW.pdf

Thanks for the link. Looks like its 1.085 To 1.135 Ill have to check every round as I dont feel comfortable with this box. Might just return it to CCI and get a refund. I checked a couple boxes of winchester I have and all looked good.

Indeed they are. Ive used the blazer brass before and didnt have a issue but that was also in 9mm and to be quite honest I didnt inspect the ammo nearly as much.

Thanks for the link. Looks like its 1.085 To 1.135 Ill have to check every round as I dont feel comfortable with this box. Might just return it to CCI and get a refund. I checked a couple boxes of winchester I have and all looked good.

Do this. I had some bad fiochhi and got three boxes free when I sent it back. Ammo companies were cranking out so much ammo in 2013-2014 it is no surprise there are stories like this.

Emailed Blazer with some pictures of the bullets. Hopefully get a response back from them. I dont mind checking my ammo but I dont think I should have to mic every round to make sure its safe to use.

A glance over a box full should suffice. It will be readily apparent if there's any significant deviation from one round to the next (assuming they are on a flat surface and bullet side up).
It's always a leap of faith as to what's inside factory ammo; same goes for food purchased at the local grocer and about every other item you purchase.
It still is prudent to give a look-see to any thing you're putting into your firearm.

Called the warranty line and spoke to someone. Told me to email Blazer through their website which I had already done. No response back yet. Hopefully they respond. Was told they will most likely ask to send the bad rounds back.

Just a follow up. Finally talked to the people at Blazer and after going back and forth with emails and pictures they deemed it happened during shipping and its not their issue. I was told to take it up with the store I bought them from. Oh well Ill set those few aside and just not use them.

No I did not. I chalked it up to buying cheap ammo. You get what you pay for sometimes. I know Ill be sticking with the usual brands from now on.

Well I finally got to the range to blow through this stuff. Luckily I was being cautious because of this issue.. while reloading one of my magazines I spotted this. Never buying blazer again.

Attachments

• 20150308_184639.jpg
    20150308_184639.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 128
Well I finally got to the range to blow through this stuff. Luckily I was being cautious because of this issue.. while reloading one of my magazines I spotted this. Never buying blazer again.

attachment.php

Glad you caught it before firing. Firing that would have tested the presence and quality of your eye protection.

Feeding and chambering issues aside, the danger of excessive setback is if it causes an overpressure situation. The worrisome possibility is if the powder detonates rather than burns. Some powders tolerate compression, and burn normally. I'm told that some powders do not. I'm careful not to test this myself.

I'm ignoring the possibility that using a hammer to drive the slide into battery might sufficiently jam the projectile in the case that it can't move forward, giving the gasses nowhere to go but through the primer and toward the shooter's eyes. On the off chance that some readers of the article above have no basic firearms safety training, please DO NOT force a misshapen round to chamber. Discard it properly, in the dud bucket at your range.

The results cited in the article above are consistent with using a powder that does not detonate when compressed. Not all powders share that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom