sale on pre-made B.O.B.

Cool, but I prefer to build my own. That way, I control the content and quality of what's inside. A "store-bought" kit will likely miss some of the fundamental
gear that could be a life-saver for your envrionrment and provide other gear that is irrelevant. I prefer to pack my own bag, know what's in it , and
how to use all the contents. IMHO a better strategy would be to read the list of "essentials" that go into one of these commercial kits, and
contrast that against your own list..

In this case, the kit is missing
1. a compass
2. a knife
3. fire starter.. lighter, matches or firesteel.

Come on...those missing items are basic (and must-have ) survival items. and are required Boyscout essentials, that need be carried by each individual on any outdoor scouting event.

Folks that trust in these kind of kits without taking time to acquire the knowledge and skills (which can be found in the BSA
manual) to handle emergency situations can find themselves in serious trouble right quick..

Granted it's better than nothing, but for those interested in reading a survival forum, I would expect they could do their own research,
and do a lot better... plus building one's own kit is a lot of fun.. One could start by going to the Hoods Woods website, and
order the late Ron Hood's video about making survival kits.. that would be a good starting point. http://www.survival.com/?page_id=237

Knowledge weighs nothing.. but it does carry a lot of weight.

stay safe

Last edited:
Folks that trust in these kind of kits without taking time to acquire the knowledge and skills (which can be found in the BSA
manual) to handle emergency situations can find themselves in serious trouble right quick..
Which is probably why they omitted the compass, knife, and fire starter. The fact that kits like these even sell at least shows that more and more people are trying to become more proactive in their livelihood.

Given what I see at my local walmart, that is a good thing.

Which is probably why they omitted the compass, knife, and fire starter. The fact that kits like these even sell at least shows that more and more people are trying to become more proactive in their livelihood.

Given what I see at my local walmart, that is a good thing.

My guess for the lack of sharp or pointy objects in the kit is so there are no restrictions on shipping to any of the 50 states, which the ad claims can be done.

I agree that some folks are becoming aware that they need to be prepared. That is a good thing. Everyone has a different definition of preparedness. This particular
product might be just the ticket for some.

For my money...not so much..

YMMV

FWIW - I do not claim to be an expert.

Last edited:
sorry, I think you misunderstood. this is just being used as a starter set. I start with this and then add to it. I already have a halfway decent one in my car and a decent get home bag in my work truck. This bag (along with some other stuff) is going into the wifes car. Also, its more for personal emergencies and less for regional or apocalypse emergencies. my wife wouldn't know what to do with a compass or firestarters (other then matches and a fireplace lighter) no matter how many times I try to teach her. Not sure if I am going to keep the bag or move it into a better storage system (along with all the other odds and ends she can use).

the point was that for people who don't have ANYTHING in there car its a major step in the right direction.

Are shampoo and conditioner really essential for surviving three days in the woods?

I look at a BOB for 2 scenarios. This first, and probably most common, is that I'm forced from my home due to fire, flood, locusts, whatever...and have to hole up at a friend/relatives for a few days. In this case, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel could be very handy. On the other hand, when the zombies(or the U.N.) come, that shit's useless and will be left behind. I think this is a great starter/augmentation kit to be built on, or as a "less than dire emergency" kit.

I'll probably just build up my own BOB at this point... Get a good first aid kit (or two) then add the other items I don't already have. I have a couple of multi-tools already. A couple of fixed blade knives, plus several folders. Metal water bottles on hand too (plus one plastic) from SIGG. All I really need is a compact shovel for tools, on top of what I already have. Can toss in a couple of good hammers and pry bar into the bag. Got a couple lengths of paracord I can include, or pick up another section to put into it. Maybe even a compact fishing rig.

sorry, I think you misunderstood. this is just being used as a starter set. I start with this and then add to it. I already have a halfway decent one in my car and a decent get home bag in my work truck. This bag (along with some other stuff) is going into the wifes car. Also, its more for personal emergencies and less for regional or apocalypse emergencies. my wife wouldn't know what to do with a compass or firestarters (other then matches and a fireplace lighter) no matter how many times I try to teach her. Not sure if I am going to keep the bag or move it into a better storage system (along with all the other odds and ends she can use).

the point was that for people who don't have ANYTHING in there car its a major step in the right direction.

In this case you are correct. Something is better than nothing. If it helps someone out of a jamb one day, it was money well spent. And believe me, I understand about the mrs. thing. Mine also would not know what to do with a compass or firestarters, and her knife skills..well, I prefer not to dwell on that. Now my Life Scout, he is a different matter. But your point is well taken. I have had conversations with co-workers who can go through life blissfully ignorant that any disaster whether natural or man-made, may potentially befall them. I got to at least one, when I asked him how his fancy Italian-made dress shoes would hold up in snow and slush, should his car break down and he need to walk some distance to get help. I know of others actually commute to work in winter from a heated garage to a parking garage, and don't even bother to bring a coat. For folks of that persuasion, the bag in question might be a good start, or be the best they are ever going to do. In reality, the best they could do I make sure that they carry a photo ID, to make a positive ID on their remains. To some, a BOB (or the impression of one) seems to be a sort of security blanket, or talisman intended to keep them safe from disaster.

Now, my point is, for those that I love, I might not be willing to trust in a kit whose components will most probably be of questionable quality, and that might let my loved ones down in a period of actual crisis. I prefer to build my own kits containing the sort of components that I feel may help them. A good functional BOB doesn't have to break the bank. Often times folks already have spare gear at home. Functional gear can be found at yard sales, flea markets, Salvation Army stores and the like. Plus your local drugstore chain, or local department store may have store brand meds and such that work just fine. I would also submit that a kit is only a bag of "stuff" if the owner doesn't have the know-how to use the contents to his or her best advantage.

If this kit works for someone, awesome. My intent is only to point out that there may be other options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom