Savage 720 U.S. Issue in WWII - Now For Sale!

robmcd

Instructor
SOLD. UPDATE: I've just listed this gun and a vintage armorer's manual for sale in the classified section.
Savage 720 U.S. issue, S/N 73***, 12-gauge semi-auto with 26" barrel. The gun was used by the Air Force in WWII to train aerial gunners, and was probably manufactured in 1942 or 1943. It retains most of the original blued finish, the wood is excellent, and it is overall in excellent condition. Bruce Canfield, author of A Collector's Guide to United States Combat Shotguns, told me in an e-mail today that the gun is easily worth $ 500.00+, and could bring as much as $ 800.00 due to the current popularity of U.S. military shotguns.

My father was an Air Force officer in the Phillipines during WWII. He received the gun from an Air Force Colonel who was his commanding officer and became like an uncle to me when I was growing up.

Click here to see some photos I took of the gun.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Found the Armorer's Manual - see separate post that follows.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe that something that old looks so good today. That's a piece to keep and cherish

I Found the WWII War Dept. Armorer's Manual!

I found an original WWII War Department technical manual: Shotguns, All Types, published on September 21, 1942. It's an armorer's manual covering military issue shotguns, and has a complete section on the Savage 720 like mine.

Click here to see some photos of the manual.

Now I'm just waiting for the letter from the Savage historian. Also, it seems to me that I remember an olive drab canvas gun case. Once more into the attic!

I'm considering a private sale or perhaps a consignment with a military arms Dealer. I'm more of a handgun person. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom