Securing firearms to protect their value before seizer

I'm not going to pretend to actually know the law in the case of moving them off to another state.

HOWEVER, I recall reading one story (might be here on NES, might have been elsewhere) where someone's permit was yanked (don't recall if it was a 209A or just a "suitability" revocation). The PD shows up to confiscate everything and no guns! He tells them that he moved them to a NH location and the MA local PD contacts the NH local PD (seem to think it was Manchester, but not certain) and the NH PD confiscates the guns for the MA PD!

This might be where having a good lawyer can be helpful. I know more than a few people with homes in VT, NH, ME as well as MA. If the PD knows this info they will try their best to confiscate your stuff and sister PDs in other states may well be sent to do their bidding.

So best advice is consult with a lawyer long before you have a "need" and then have a "plan" to secure your goods in a legal manner in another state to protect your assets. Of course this all assumes that the issue does NOT involve someone who has become a "federally prohibited" person . . . that any issues are "local" (MA) in nature.

How did the Mass PD demand to know where in NH they were located? What if he decided not to answer that question?

How did the Mass PD demand to know where in NH they were located? What if he decided not to answer that question?

He was STUPID!!! That's why I stated that one should "lawyer up" and let the hired mouthpiece do the talking for him. He dug a hole and just kept digging.

Again, I don't know if he truly HAD TO tell them under MGLs, but he did tell them the exact location and thus they were confiscated too.

A PO can demand anything, one must know their rights on what they MUST divulge vs. have a right not to divulge . . . before the fact.

He didn't specify and neither I nor anyone else involved in that thread asked. I suspect Jeremy's take on it is probably close. Don't just hand them over, but go through an FFL. I have to imagine that any FFL would cut you a deal if you were transferring a dozen firearms to the same guy. At the very least, once over the border it seems as if the law is reasonable enough that you would have time to find an FFL willing to do a reasonable price on the transfer.

I think the bigger problem would be that the transfer back for MA residents would be next to impossible on non-compliant guns. Also, once you transfer them, the recipient is under no legal obligation to give them back. You need to transfer these to someone whom you trust. And even then, I would get a lawyer to figure out a way to try and protect the rights to the ownership.
Maybe this would be a good topic of conversation to figure out how best to park firearms temporarily in situations such as these.

I was loitering in collectors one day (waiting for Fred actually) and a guy (security guard) came in needing to store his pistols. He used one of them for work. He claimed, and I have no reason to doubt the story other than the guy seemed like a dim bulb, that he got his LTC pulled because when asked by a cop (pulled over for a taillight problem I think, or speeding can't remember any longer) did he have any guns on him, he said no. He didn't, they were in the trunk locked up the way they should be. He was asked by a second cop who showed up if he had any guns in the vehicle. He said yes, in the trunk. Well cop 1 took offense apparently that he answered the question posed and not some other question he meant to ask. One CLEO to another, boom LTC gone and he was facing $1 per day, per firearm (4 of them apparently). Not only that, he was afraid he would be fired. Gotta love this cesspool.

An officer during a traffic stop has only the authority to nab you with carrying outside your restriction, not yank your LTC right away. They must have cnversed with the officer who issued the license, since he is the one with the authority to yank it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

An officer during a traffic stop has only the authority to nab you with carrying outside your restriction, not yank your LTC right away. They must have cnversed with the officer who issued the license, since he is the one with the authority to yank it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you are right but he wasn't carrying. He just had them and didn't answer the way they appreciated. And it was from what I gathered a verbal thing. I said in my post "One CLEO to another" which meant, though didn't say that the one cleo called the one who issued his LTC.

Back
Top Bottom