Security Officers

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how many of our NEShooters friends have worked as a Security Officer?? I am currently working at a office building, doing third shift weekends plus filling in for vactions/call outs and numerous details. Not a bad job, decent pay, and plus im am also unionized. Hopfully i can use this as a stepping stone to get into law enforcement/firefighting career.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hopfully i can use this as a stepping stone to get into law enforcement/firefighting career.
Honestly, I don't think it will help at all. With civil service jobs, unless you are ex-military (preferably disabled) and/or female or minority, you are pretty much screwed in this state.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how many of our NEShooters friends have worked as a Security Officer?? I am currently working at a office building, doing third shift weekends plus filling in for vactions/call outs and numerous details. Not a bad job, decent pay, and plus im am also unionized. Hopfully i can use this as a stepping stone to get into law enforcement/firefighting career. Thanks,

First, never announce that you are unionized on this board, otherwise BillB will turn this into an epic anti-union megathread [laugh]

I don't think that working private security is going to give you leg up with regard to getting into law enforcement or firefighting. Justified or not, the image that many LEOs have of security guards is that of "rent-a-cops" and "cop wannabes." Under the right circumstances, you might be able to do some good networking for future employment by making contacts with your company's clients but not probably in the public safety field. I think it is important that people employed in the security industry realize that they are not police officers, but are there primarily to observe, record, and report and to deter. A point that frequently is missed on more than a few.

The primary issue with private security IMO is training. Frequently, I believe that security guards simply not trained to the level that they should be, it all comes down to profitability.

The security industry is one that will continue to experience growth and one would hope, professionalize itself to a higher degree than it does. Times of economic recession are good for security companies because they usually can hire better quality personnel.

For the record I worked in the private security field for several years during college, mainly during breaks and the summertime. It was a great job for a college student (at $2.35 an hour back in the day). I worked with some really great people, and also some real dregs that included a suspended Tucson Police Department patrolman, and also a really nice guy who was certified as mentally retarded (this was interesting as he was quite aware of his intellectual shortcomings and could actually discuss mental retardation cogently, he had had a lot of special education and life skill coaching, still he couldn't pass the basic American Red Cross First Aid Course. The company had him guard construction sites). We had another guy who insisted on wearing a woman's wig with tresses all the way down to the small of his back. We had another guy (a retired Air Force Tech Sgt) who had a very nice pre-numbered (circa 1956-57) S&W .44 Magnum. He was a pretty good guy, but I remember one night when a volkswagen bus ran the gate at the private country club and gated community that we had responsibility for guarding, he actually pulled out the .44 and was ready to sail a round right into the engine block of the vehicle as it sped away. Another guard and I were there and we had to grab him and stop him. Then there was poor Harry, who had been a successful businessman and a volunteer fire department captain back in the east or midwest somewhere. Very personable, very intelligent and he had a beautiful Wathler PP that he brought back from WWII. The only problem was that Harry was a hopeless alcoholic who would get drunk every night. A lot of people covered for him, but finally he had to be let go .

If you want a great job where you might learn something, get free medical, dental, 30 days paid vacation and lots of experience, then join the US Armed Forces. IMO, this will give you a better background and possibly some veteran's preference in trying to get a LEO job in Mass. Otherwise, unless you have family connections or some kind of political influence, the chances of getting a public safety job in this state, while not impossible, are really remote, again IMO.

Last edited:
I was an armored car guard... Toyed with the idea of becoming a cop, ended up doing other things once I saw all the BS politics. Most of the guys I worked with were trying to become cops...

How many of them ever made it?

Good question, but I do not know.

Once guy kept trying, another was dating a chiefs daughter, another was an Aux cop... Once I left that job, I moved out of state, so I did not keep in touch. The others, I do not know any specifics.

I was a security guard supervisor for years, most of my co-workers became cops afterwards. I never wanted to be a cop so I didn't go that route.

I currently work security(per se), but basically I function as part of receiving most of the time. The "security" aspect is double checking paperwork, and making sure the place is locked up and not falling apart on weekends, and telling people where to park or no you cant come in here. Not horribly exciting, but it pays me and I like my boss/people I work with.

Edit: just skimmed Mark's post. I work with a guy that at times seems to think we're guarding ICBM's. Fortunately I realize what my job is, and keep within that framework.

Last edited:
Government contracts is the way to go. Ive been doing security "type" jobs for ten years... You CAN make a decent off it. Training is key. Even if you have to come out of your. Own pocket for some decent training.... Do it. Its worth it. All that matters is the resume....

Back
Top Bottom