Seeking Suggestions for Wife-friendly .380 handgun

The OP mentioned 380 because his wife is petite, with small hands and is looking for a good, non-.22 gun that she'll enjoy shooting. Some threads drift pretty quickly, but in this case I think we're doing a disservice by simply answering his question as he posed it. As several people have already mentioned, there are a whole host of factors that contribute to how "easy" a gun is to shoot, and generally speaking a gun chambered in 380 is going to fall short.

You simply can't get around physics, and a smaller gun will tend to recoil more. On a certain level there is far too much subjectivity to how we perceive it, but a "pussycat" to an experienced shooter (male or female) could just as easily be unpleasant for a newbie. What dcmdon, myself, & others are suggesting is taking as much guesswork and subjectivity out of the equation as possible and going with what is pretty much an objective truth: A larger, heavier, recoil-operated gun in a relatively small caliber (say, 9mm) will be softer shooting and easier to manipulate.

It may not be the answer that the OP wants, but I think it's the right one.

I thought this is where the Sig 232 would shine. It is considered "large" for a .380, but is alloy. This makes it heavier than plastic, but lighter than steel, which is "just right". The style and ergonomics on the 232 are also quite good. Otherwise, I'll go along with the others who said to get a larger 9mm, for the reduced recoil, especially if this is a range only gun.

The 232 is probably the easiest of the tiny .380s to shoot.

The only thing I see as a problem with the 232 is its single action with a safety trigger system. If the the person in question is willing to spend the time training, then its great. But if not, then they are better off with a DAO type gun like a Glock/RugerSR/M&P.

Its not so much remembering to put the safety off that is the problem. Its getting the action of putting the safety on whenever the gun comes off target that is harder to train.

Don

p.s. I have not shot one, but the Ruger LC380, released at SHOT this year looks like it may be a good option. Its a LC9 sized gun, chambered in .380.

I have both the LC9 and the Bodyguard 380. I am fairly tall (5'9) but I have smaller hands. Love them both! My only suggestion would be is that whatever she chooses make sure she adds some sort of soft cover/grip or her hands will get beat up by the recoil. Yes, I'm a girl and I have girly hands [wink]

Mine is extremely reliable after a $5 spring replacement by Dave Santurri. Its my carry gun. Some day it will be in an ankle holster.

I don't understand why men insist on putting small, short, light handguns into the hands of women.

All of those factors work against them.

A recoil shy shooter will do much better with a gun that has a:

Full length grip - allows the whole hand to control recoil.
Longer bbl/slide - makes recoil more of a push back than a flip.
more weight - mitigates recoil overall.

Exaaaaactly!!

A full size 1911 with a slightly dowloaded round is a creampuff to shoot. Once the shooter gets used to that and builds some grip strength, you increase it a little until standard loads are a breeze.

I had mentioned a 9mm 1911 as a perfect "lady's gun".

The only problem is its heavy and bulky. Which lead me to the Glock 19. Particularly the Gen 4
with the RTF and shorter trigger reach as a reasonable compromise.

If I could get her to carry one, an STi Edge 9mm would be ideal.

The only problem is its heavy and bulky. Which lead me to the Glock 19. Particularly the Gen 4

I'd agree...except with one hesitation. Which "lady" is it perfect for? My wife is not a fan of the 1911. She shot both .45ACP and 9mm single stacks, and .45ACP double stacks. She doesn't care for the way it feels in her hand. She loves the M9 (thank you US Army) and shoots that one very well. Since it's a little too large for edc, she picked out a Ruger SR9c. After carrying that off-body for a while, she decided she wanted something smaller. She picked out an LC9 (with a Mitch Rosen 5JR and belt) that she loves and shoots quite well, thank you.

It's all personal preference...HER preference.

Aloha

This is not a carry gun, so the bulky part doesn't matter, and heavy is better for the recoil.

... She loves the M9 ... and shoots that one very well. Since it's a little too large for edc, she picked out a Ruger SR9c. After carrying that off-body for a while, she decided she wanted something smaller. She picked out an LC9 (with a Mitch Rosen 5JR and belt) that she loves and shoots quite well, thank you. ...

Again, this post is not looking for an "EDC" gun, but a range gun. I think the M9 (92FS) sounds about right. Maybe have a comparison between the Beretta 92 and the Sig 232.

The 232 is probably the easiest of the tiny .380s to shoot.

The only thing I see as a problem with the 232 is its single action with a safety trigger system. If the the person in question is willing to spend the time training, then its great. But if not, then they are better off with a DAO type gun like a Glock/RugerSR/M&P.

Its not so much remembering to put the safety off that is the problem. Its getting the action of putting the safety on whenever the gun comes off target that is harder to train.

Don

p.s. I have not shot one, but the Ruger LC380, released at SHOT this year looks like it may be a good option. Its a LC9 sized gun, chambered in .380.

Caliber .380ACP
Action Type DA/SA
Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
no safety.

If its a range gun, then you should try both.

Pay particular attention to 2 things.

1) Trigger reach. To shoot the 92/m9, she should be able to get the distal joint of her trigger finger onto the trigger. This is necessary to work the double action pull. On a 1911, she can use less of her finger, just the pad is fine.

2) Slide manipulation - she needs to be able to work the slide. This is one of the down sides to the small Kahr's for many women. They are good shooting guns, but the slide springs are so stiff (required because the slide is light) that most women can't run them properly.

A 9mm 1911 uses a 9 lb recoil spring which is very workable by almost anyone. The 92 is not as light, but its still very workable. My wife has no trouble with any of them. She's strong (swimmer in HS and College and a triathalete), but she's got small hands.

If this is to be an enjoyable range gun:

My wife is 5'4" with small hands. While she can handle the recoil of my 44 mag and M&P40c, she has trouble shooting them well because they do not fit her hand. She does great with a Ruger Mark III and the Glock 19.

I recently got (myself) a S&W Model 60 Pro. So 38/357 with a 3" barrel, 5 shots, and a little smaller grip. It fits her hand perfectly, and she shoots it like a champ. She's adopted it, so I'm lucky if I get 5-10 rounds in on it when we go to the range. My point is, recoil may become less of an issue if it fits in the hand properly as well as weight. Also, 38s aren't bad to shoot, especially some wad cutters. Something like this might work. The 3" barrel is good for carry, yet long enough for a decent sight radius at the range, and the weight is a good balance between carry and recoil absorbtion.

I've got to agree with mac on this. You need to get her into MFL or a ladies night where she can handle a variety of guns and then once SHE decides which ones feel good in her hands, then let her shoot them. Don't try to pick and choose for her. Everyone (male and female) is different and has different preferences. That's why I carry my S&W j-frame and my wife has her SR9c.

Aloha

Just saw this thread. My GF is looking for a home protection gun. She has long boney fingers and liked the feel of the Beretta Cheetah (.380..don't recall the model number) that we saw at Wilmington last week. She has a hard time pulling back the slide on a larger gun (.45, for example). I tried to talk her into a revolver, but no luck. Will look at the Sig P232.

She has a hard time pulling back the slide on a larger gun (.45, for example).

Your logic is flawed, if you mean larger guns and not larger calibers.

The larger the slide is, for a given caliber, the softer the recoil spring can be and the easier it is to manipulate. So a 1911 in 9mm has a much lighter recoil spring than a Kahr PM9 in 9mm. The heavier slide allows this to be so. My wife can run a 1911 or a Glock 34 with ease. But she can't work the PM9s slide because the spring is so stiff.

So the idea is not to get a small gun. The idea is to limit the size of the caliber.

If she has long fingers, there is no reason she couldn't shoot a Glock 17 or M&P 9. Both would make a much better home gun than a Sig p232. When people say the p232 doesn't recoil badly, they are speaking with respect to the size of it. It still recoils more than either of the above guns. And again, teh 232 does not allow her to use her whole hand to counter recoil. That pinky is left hanging in space.

You are in danger of falling into the typical male trap of giving a small gun to a woman. this is WRONG.

If she has long fingers, she has a definite advantage because some of the duty sized guns have a long reach to the trigger and a large grip circumference. I GUARANTEE you that if you let her try a G17, M&P9, and a XDM9, she will find something she likes. I'll also guarantee you she'll shoot all of them better than she will shoot a 232. And if you get the Glock, she can legally have 18 rounds available without a reload.

Don

p.s. any and all of what I say above applies to men who are small and/or less experienced shooters.

Last edited:
After a long after search finding one she feels comfortable with she decided on a sig p238.

I bought a 238 and I can't get it away from my wife. It is her everyday carry gun. IIRC the first post here from Saw239 recommended a 238. In other words, Great Choice

Edit: Drinking: THESAW249

My p226 is too much recoil for my gf to have fun. She prefers .22 cal. I think the bigger the 380 the more comfortable it is to shoot. The p230 or p232 are great choices.

For you guys and galls with the 238. Are you carrying those cocked/locked in a pocket/purse ? Any issues w/the safety coming off ?

Seacamp. I love mine and my wife has been eyeing it. Small, easy to carry, and while people laugh at the 32-those bullets scream out of the firearm-i would not volunteer to get hit with them

Havent read all of it but I would echo what others have said and NOT get any sort of tiny 380 if she intends on shooting it alot as they are snappy and have a heavy spring, making slide manipulation difficult.

Double up on hearing protection with both plugs and muffs and let her shoot something again. Some people have trouble with the noise causing flinching as much as the recoil. Get her into a proper grip on the gun, no loose hands. Gloves are a huge personal choice as some people feel like the gun moves more when using gloves.

I have a J frame revolver and with light loads it is a heck of a lot less recoil than a 380. Go back to a heavy pistol and get her used to it. It is all in being familiar and getting used to it rather than trying to find a compromise by lowering caliber and ending up with something that either doesnt work or is worse recoil wise. Ask around, plenty of people here will let you try their stuff before you buy or go to a place like MFS.

Back
Top Bottom