Semi-Ultimate Ruger 10/22 build

Here's my first Ruger 10/22 build. I bought the gun online, and it took almost 5 weeks for it go get here. It finally did, I picked it up at my FFL on Thursday, and on Saturday a box arrived from MidwayUSA with a scope, scope mount, and swivel mounts. Here's the rifle as shipped:

attachment.php

It came disassembled and included the following parts:

• Reveiver, bolt and Ruger trigger unit (all disassembled)
  • Stock Ruger barrel
  • Original stock
  • Tapco stock (not pictured here - I'm selling this separately)
  • Volquartsen hammer
  • Volquartsen extended magazine release
  • Volquartsen EDM extractor
  • Volquartsen bolt release
  • Volquartsen extended bolt handle and recoil rod assembly
  • Volquartsen hex-head take-down screw
  • Christies recoil buffer pin
  • A few magazines

Back when I first ordered ordered this rifle I also ordered a Boyd's Evolution laminate stock in Forest Camo. I like the looks of this stock and I like the fact that it's ambidexterous, so my left-handed wife and sons can shoot it. The Boyd's stock is very well made and little prep was required to get it ready for finishing. I used Tru-Oil stock finish. I applied each coat with my fingers, let dry, and sanded with 00 steel wool. It took about 6 coats of Tru-Oil before all the wood grain disappeared and I got that dripping wet finish I was looking for. I still need to hit the stock with auto polish and give it a couple coats of wax - that should take care of the few remaining pieces of dust in the finish and get it to a high gloss.

The barrel is a standard Ruger barrel. I'm going to shoot it for a while then maybe send it off to get "accurized." A heavy barrel would be nice and pimpy, but I really don't want this rifle to weigh any more than it already does.

The scope is a Mueller APV (per recommendations in this forum) and the mount is a Game Reaper single-piece mount.

I think it came out looking great. Can't wait to get it sighted in. I still need to install my Uncle Mike's quick-detach swivel mounts and get a sling.

attachment.php

Last edited:
[rockon]

FYI, a 16" .920 Whistle Pig aluminum barrel will weigh less then the standard one so you get more accuracy and less weight for the wife and son.

Nicely done!

Definitely go for a better aftermarket bull/heavier barrel though.

The 10/22 is a great little platform to build and tweak on.

Nice Rifle, I been thinking about another 10/22 for a while. Mine is a pre-ban tacticool, I've kind of out grown it (I have actual tactical rifles now). But I hate to change it or get rid of it as it was my first gun. So maybe another is in order. Anyway, good luck and happy shooting. BTW, I wouldn't change the barrel just yet, you may get it sighted in and find it just fine for what you and he family are looking for. That's what great about the platform, you can always upgrade later.

Excellent!

Where did you find a gun with the parts listed? Gun Broker? Ive been looking for one (for a project build as well) but dont want to purchase a new/stock gun for it!

Great looking build. I love the finish on the stock. I've heard lots of recommendations on the Mueller APV too.

This reminds me that I need to get back to building MY 10/22!!

Also, RimfireCentral.com has lots of great info for anyone looking for all things 10/22. Might be able to find something there CooperS7777.

Yes, that's a racecar in the background; it's my GT40 replica (which will be street legal). I build more than rifles. [smile]

I got the 10/22 from a classified ad on www.rimfirecental.com. It was $250 with all the parts shown plus the Tapco stock. I wonder if maybe the guy I bought it from simply didn't know how to put all the parts together. It was a pretty simple build, actually. You can find online instructions on how to assemble/disassemble a 10/22 trigger group. Most of the effort was actually in finishing the stock - probably about 10 hours total over a couple weeks of evenings. The trigger pull with the Volquartsen hammer is MUCH better than a stock 10/22 trigger.

Yes, that's a racecar in the background; it's my GT40 replica (which will be street legal). I build more than rifles. [smile]

I got the 10/22 from a classified ad on www.rimfirecental.com. It was $250 with all the parts shown plus the Tapco stock. I wonder if maybe the guy I bought it from simply didn't know how to put all the parts together. It was a pretty simple build, actually. You can find online instructions on how to assemble/disassemble a 10/22 trigger group. Most of the effort was actually in finishing the stock - probably about 10 hours total over a couple weeks of evenings. The trigger pull with the Volquartsen hammer is MUCH better than a stock 10/22 trigger.

Very nicely done - i like the build :)

Back
Top Bottom