Serious question: When is young to young to teach a child to shoot?

Thanks everyone for the advise. Not really sure at this point about what the whole Dad situation is with these kids. He's there, but from what I hear he works 7 days a week to make ends meet and isn't around a lot. The Mom is actually very excited about them learning and wants to learn herself. Maybe I'll teach her first and then the kids.

I'm thinking I'll do the show and tell type thing at the house with them learning the rules, how the rifle/handgun works and take it from there. Then if I feel they can handle it, I'll take them to the range. Including the mom, my wife and I'll bring my Dad along as well. He's been shooting for years and would definitely be a help.

I have two very old bolt action 22lr and two 22lr revolvers. I'll start with the rifles and then maybe the handguns. Going to be interesting.

Thanks again!

I don't think 10 is young. I started to shoot airguns under Dad's supervision much when I was younger. You can start the younger boy with an airgun first, and switch to real firearms when you feel he is ready.

GOAL

why dont you get ahold of GOAL.they are the NRA state ASS.and teach shooting.down here if they can hold a gun they shoot and I would like to post pictures of 7/8 yr olds with their deer.pic from newspaper.
how far down New England and mass has fallen from days when many schools had rifle ranges and supplied the guns.I called my old high school and asked about the club they did not know what I was talking about and that was a 3 story granite building with an 8 position range.the building is still there.
pols try to put in gun control like mass has would be out of office if they did not get hung.[smile] [grin]

I had my daughters shooting at 6, I don't think it's ever to early to start teaching a child gun safety. I felt it took the "mystery" of the firearm away.

I agree. i bought a little single shot .22 marlin, I have a hand on it the whole time, we drill the rules etc.

Removing the "taboo" and the fear is a very good thing!

If you got to Hopedale Pistol and Rifle on Friday nights, they have the Junior team practice and always welcome new shooters.

Right outta the womb..

No but seriously my father was a short tempered German, he didnt let me get away with jack..and believe me my keester was red if I messed up, but he started me off with bb guns and air pellet pistols..Since my whole family were war vets and being born in the 80s(Desert Storm) and my dad having owned a Toy Soldier shop, war and guns and were basically shoved down my throat since birth..soo I really dont see any foul play when kids are being kids you played war I played war. Just make sure they dont hang with any gangster kids at school.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advise. Not really sure at this point about what the whole Dad situation is with these kids. He's there, but from what I hear he works 7 days a week to make ends meet and isn't around a lot. The Mom is actually very excited about them learning and wants to learn herself. Maybe I'll teach her first and then the kids.

I'm thinking I'll do the show and tell type thing at the house with them learning the rules, how the rifle/handgun works and take it from there. Then if I feel they can handle it, I'll take them to the range. Including the mom, my wife and I'll bring my Dad along as well. He's been shooting for years and would definitely be a help.

I have two very old bolt action 22lr and two 22lr revolvers. I'll start with the rifles and then maybe the handguns. Going to be interesting.

Thanks again!

Rock,

I started my son with safety rules and a BB gun at about 7 years old - always supervised of course. I even locked the BB gun in the safe. Then I started allowing him to handle handguns and aim (never loaded) and made sure all his safety habits were good. Then I bought a 22 rifle with a 7 round clip and let him fire that after we went through the whole process again. He only progressed as I became comfortable with his habits. Tomorrow he's 11 and he has shot several 9mm handguns, my 44-40, my AR-15, shotguns, 22 rifle and pistol. He is most comfortable with the 22's of course and so is my wallet. Jim Conway and other members of Westford Sportsmens Club have commented about how good he is with how he handles the firearms and listens. That being said I still keep a close eye on him. Good Luck!

I started shooting at about 5. Mainly .22s, but also some AR shooting. Airguns actually didn't come until later.

I would say there's no set age. You have to consider how much you've taught them about the value of life, responsibility, and consider what negative influences they might have faced in regards to guns.

IMO 10 is perfectly old enough to learn to shoot a rifle or shotgun, possibly even a .22 revolver (NOT a semi-automatic).

If the friend would like to get her boys into shooting, she might look into getting them into a NRA home firearms safety class. It doesn't include any shooting, but the curriculum will definitely prepare them for you to then take them shooting. It's only a 4-hour class, goes over gun safety, safe gun handling and how to unload a pistol and rifle and shotgun. Really it's ideal preparation for you to then take them out and get them practical, hands-on shooting.

Harvard SC also has a junior air rifle and .22 rifle program.

My older brother taught me when I was 10 using an old Ruger 10/22. Moved from that to a single-shot break action 12 guage with sabots. My shoulder still hurts from that.

I started my sons on BB Guns at 8 and 9 years old (good old Daisy Red Ryder). When they showed that the had the safety rules down I let them start on an Ithaca single shot .22 rifle and then my Marlin bolt action .22. This past summer they were allowed to start on my H&R 929 .22 revolver, then my Ruger Mk1. By the end of summer I was letting them shoot my Ruger P95. They will be 11 & 12 this year and they both want to know if they are going to be allowed to try my SKS and Saiga 7.62 this year.

We frequently quiz them on safety and I load only one gun at a time when we are shooting. Safety first!

pretty much all good advice.

You need to know the maturity of the kids.

My son started with a bb gun at 5 and his first range trip was with me at 6.

he's now 8 and can shoot pretty freaking good and SAFELY.

he also has no "fascination" with guns.

he plays with toy guns and nerf guns all the time like all boys do.

but he knows that toy guns are just that, toys.

he knows that real guns need to be treated with respect and that he is not allowed to touch them unless I or someone that I approve of is with him (like a scout master)

again, it comes down to the child.

first thing I would do is teach them the eddie eagle safety rules and make them know them front and back.

but make sure that you get to know them a bit first.

Cause I can tell you, i know many kids my sons age that I woulnd trust with a tennis ball.

possibly even a .22 revolver (NOT a semi-automatic).

Why?

My boy (8) shoots a Walther P22 and is rather proficient with it.

in fact, that particular gun fits his hands perfect (with the smaller grip).

At 20 feet he can put 8 out of 10 rounds in the 9 ring and usually 1/2 that in the 10. and I can tell you, for a P22, that is pretty freaking good.

He understands that gun ejects brass and has actully had one go down his shirt, got a little burn from it. But, when this occured he calmly put the gun on the table (facing down range) and got the brass from his shirt.

again, depends on the kids IMHO.

some are jsut better at understanding and following the rules then others.

one thing that i would reccomend (not sure if it has been said) is this.

obviously start with the .22

but reguardless of what type of .22 you start with, only allow them 1 round at a time at first.

even with the P22, my son started with 1 round in the mag, fired, gun on safe, eject mag, reload, repeat.

after he (I) was comfortable, I moved him to 3 rounds and then up from there.

Why?

My boy (8) shoots a Walther P22 and is rather proficient with it.

in fact, that particular gun fits his hands perfect (with the smaller grip).

At 20 feet he can put 8 out of 10 rounds in the 9 ring and usually 1/2 that in the 10. and I can tell you, for a P22, that is pretty freaking good.

He understands that gun ejects brass and has actully had one go down his shirt, got a little burn from it. But, when this occured he calmly put the gun on the table (facing down range) and got the brass from his shirt.

again, depends on the kids IMHO.

some are jsut better at understanding and following the rules then others.

For a first-time shooter who's 10, I think a semi isn't the best choice. A revolver has a very clear delineation between shots, Many semi-autos much less so. It's not a fast and hard rule by any means. but when when with dealing with kids you may not know all that well, I think a revolver is the best bet.

Personally my most of my semis have a hair trigger on SA, which suits me just fine. But I wouldn't hand them over to a 10y/o first-time shooter for fear he might lose control over the gun on the second shot.

I have no idea about ages. It depends on the individual child. It's important they can physically handle the gun and comprehend the safety aspect. Some adults still don't get it.

I started shooting BB's pretty early on. I don't remember how old, but I was a little trouble pumping the air gun. I started shooting shortly after that with an old .22 tube fed Savage. Good times.

I wouldn't teach someone else's kids alone. The suggestion of having the father participate makes sense. First off, you don't know the kids. You aren't their father, you have no idea what ideals, discipline, etc are instilled in them. Teaching kids about guns starts far before actually taking them to shoot. Its a complete package of learning to respect them first.

My first rifle I owned when I was 10 was a marlin semi auto .22. I had no trouble controlling it. Still, I would recommend starting with a bolt action rifle. Especially if you do not know the kids very well already. Pistols come much later on when you are sure these kids have a few brain cells bopping around inside.

I think you want to be sure that whatever gun you are handing them, it does not have a hair trigger. We get a little used having light trigger pulls, but a first time shooter is not a time to use one. No double taps allowedl.

Back
Top Bottom