Shipping Home Fallen Soldiers

A local town (Freetown) is burying fallen Sailor 2nd Class Petty Officer Tyler Trahan today. I've been in the area for another soldier shipped home from the sandbox. I've always had questions/ a curiosity as to what takes so long to get these soldiers home. It's also been brought to my attention that the bodies are sealed in their casket by the government before the casket makes it to the hometown. Personally I'd hope that my family would be able to see for the last time if I were KIA. I mean I understand the body may not be presentable but hell I would hope the family would get that chance. Anyone familiar with what kind of processing needs to be done or where the majority of it is done before the body finds it's resting place? Overall, if none of you have looked up Trahan's article I recommend you do. He was quite the young guy and had a bright future. RIP Sailor.

(Didn't really want this in a general forum but sure)

Last edited:
the mortuary affairs and casualty folks have thier protocols, after all of the investigations, upon investigations, tons of paperwork...

-generally speaking.

lots of paperwork, lots of investigations, more paperwork, medical side, legal side, family side... hence it takes long.

-generally speaking...

When my Cousin was killed, his coffin was sealed. His Father, then Chief of Police, managed to get the coffin open to confirm identity, and to place a Police Badge on his son.

They are sealed, but I guess if you know how they can be opened.

A local town (Freetown) is burying fallen Sailor 2nd Class Petty Officer Tyler Trahan today. I've been in the area for another soldier shipped home from the sandbox. I've always had questions/ a curiosity as to what takes so long to get these soldiers home. It's also been brought to my attention that the bodies are sealed in their casket by the government before the casket makes it to the hometown. Personally I'd hope that my family would be able to see for the last time if I were KIA. I mean I understand the body may not be presentable but hell I would hope the family would get that chance. Anyone familiar with what kind of processing needs to be done or where the majority of it is done before the body finds it's resting place? Overall, if none of you have looked up Trahan's article I recommend you do. He was quite the young guy and had a bright future. RIP Sailor.

(Didn't really want this in a general forum but sure)

My g/f was good friends with his sister in high school and knew Tyler. She spoke to her sister and i guess he was shipped to a southern state first. He was there for a while before being shipped to MA. I cannot remember what state it was and why he was there. I am assuming they make absolute certain who is getting sent where as not to make a mistake. Maybe that is what takes long.

Anyone familiar with what kind of processing needs to be done or where the majority of it is done before the body finds it's resting place?
It was most likely performed at the mortuary at Dover Air Force Base. You can rest assured that his remains were treated with the utmost respect, dignity, and love by all of the military people involved.

Sit down in a private, quiet place with a box of Kleenex before reading this: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/sunday/main2677251.shtml

For an interesting movie on the preparation of our fallen Servicemen, and transport to their families, look for the HBO film Taking Chance.

There was a discussion thread here.

Processing of the remains is done at Dover Air Force Base, Dover, DE. Here's an article about the chaplain of the Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations Center.

RIP, Sailor.

Unbelievable movie, brought back some old memories where I had two SAO (Survival Assistance Officer) and three NOK (Notification of Kin) assignments during the VietNam war.

This movie did proud!

Back
Top Bottom