Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

Comparison shop between the two, price advantage goes to Shooter's 9/10 times

Aside from being asked to prove I'm not from Massachusetts, I've not had a bad experience with the staff at Shooter's Outpost. Always upbeat and willing to help, very different from some of the guys behind the counters at Riley's.

I've had problems with riley's but not due to where I live. More due to their shitty customer service and asshat attitude. I refuse to set foot in there anymore (after three bad experiences, I'll spend my $$ elsewhere).
I've had minor issues with Riley's, entirely traceable to one or two surly employees.

For a major purchase, I comparison shop between the two; the price advantage goes to Shooter's almost every time. Once the expansion is done and I can get a cup of coffee while we wait for NICS/NH-POC, even more incentive to buy at SO.
[coffee]

>>More due to their shitty customer service and asshat attitude. I refuse to set foot in there anymore (after three bad experiences<<

Yeah, it's too bad. Riley's used to be my "go to" store from back when Dick Riley himself was behind the counter. Since Ralph sold out however, I too don't set foot in the place either. Oh well.....

We employ 25 people at Shooters Outpost. I can't be there for every transaction, but buying parts and pieces do not require showing your ID. 0nly ammunition & magazines. If anyone here ever is told different - ask for me and it will be corrected. It's hard to get 25 cats herded together and speak the same tune. With my new addition coming in 2017, part of that is a large classroom where my employees will have many meetings addressing these, and other issues. The classroom will also be used for re-loading classes & product knowledge classes for all sales people. We're not perfect, and never will be - but will never stop trying. If anyone feels they can do better than the people already working here, come apply for a job. To the person that says Shooters is like Four Seasons North - I take that as a compliment. Carl is a friend, and has one hell of an operation in Woburn.....

Jim McLoud 603.396.6540 cell

Last edited:
We employ 25 people at Shooters Outpost. I can't be there for every transaction, but buying parts and pieces do not require showing your ID. 0nly ammunition & magazines. If anyone here ever is told different - ask for me and it will be corrected. It's hard to get 25 cats herded together and speak the same tune. With my new addition coming in 2017, part of that is a large classroom where my employees will have many meetings addressing these, and other issues. The classroom will also be used for re-loading classes & product knowledge classes for all sales people. We're not perfect, and never will be - but will never stop trying. If anyone feels they can do better than the people already working here, come apply for a job. To the person that says Shooters is like Four Seasons North - I take that as a compliment. Carl is a friend, and has one hell of an operation in Woburn.....

This is exactly what got when I was shooting steel out of an AK at MFLR, 3 times I was stopped and when I saw Jim at Shooters I asked him about it and said if they give you crap next time tell them to call me. I was even giving the Elevator ride down in the basement..I was in Heaven down there.

This is exactly what got when I was shooting steel out of an AK at MFLR, 3 times I was stopped and when I saw Jim at Shooters I asked him about it and said if they give you crap next time tell them to call me. I was even giving the Elevator ride down in the basement..I was in Heaven down there.

The pleasure was mine my friend!

I havent had the chance to head up there yet but by the sounds of the reviews I need to! Had part of my bachelor party at MFLR and it was a great time by all. Ill be heading up soon to grab some tax free ammo!

What requires you to check for ammo and magazines aside from being the appropriate age to buy ammo?

As I said only age is required by federal law (pertinent part of your link below):

Federal law does not require ammunition sellers to conduct background checks to determine if a prospective purchaser falls into a prohibited category, however.

Minimum Age to Purchase or Possess Ammunition

Federal minimum age laws governing firearms also apply to ammunition used for those firearms. Federally licensed firearms dealers (FFLs) are prohibited from selling or transferring a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18.5 Federal law provides no age limitations with respect to the sale of a long gun or long gun ammunition by an unlicensed person.

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21.6 Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18

However, in 1986, Congress passed the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, which repealed most of these provisions, including the licensing of ammunition dealers, ammunition sales recordkeeping, and the ban on interstate transfers of ammunition to unlicensed purchasers.2 None has been reenacted by Congress.

After reading this why do you need to ID mass purchases?

However, in 1986, Congress passed the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, which repealed most of these provisions, including the licensing of ammunition dealers, ammunition sales recordkeeping, and the ban on interstate transfers of ammunition to unlicensed purchasers.2 None has been reenacted by Congress.

After reading this why do you need to ID mass purchases?

Mass requires purchasers of ammo (which includes components) to be licensed, and for interstate/mail they argue that because you don't make the purchase in person your identity cannot be positively established.

I didn't use the word mail in my post I don't think you understood the questions why is shooters outpost asking for an ID from people that are obviously over 21 years old. Then from mass asking for an FID, LTC

We have too many bad laws and mass we just don't need to keep adding CYA to the pile

Last edited:
I didn't use the word mail in my post I don't think you understood the questions why is shooters outpost asking for an ID from people that are obviously over 21 years old. Then from mass asking for an FID, LTC

then, we are asking the same question.

The ID issue has been beaten so many times on this forum that there's LITERALLY NO BONES LEFT IN THE DEAD HORSE.

It's store policy for them to check IDs for purchases even if it's not required by law.

You have exactly two options.
1 ) Shop there, present your ID when requested, leave with the merchandise after payment
2 ) Don't shop there

No third option, no more bitching about it. You aren't going to change store policy by posting on an internet forum, or their facebook page, and probably not even in a civil, polite, fact based discussion with the owner(s). Their private business, their policies, their choice.

Had an interesting experience at shooters outpost this weekend. I hadnt realized the MA moonbattery had travelled quite so far north into NH but shooters is now part of the MA AG enforcement team. My father, a MA resident, asked for a 10 round magazine and a new stock.

Regardless of his plans (gift or for himself to pin or have pinned) the shop refused to sell him an AR stock because it was "not MA compliant."

Is this new? I live in NH so dont worry about this nonsense but I was surprised to see a NH shop worried about selling a non-controlled piece of plastic to a MA resident. Would shooters somehow be liable if a MA resident bought a stock there, took it home, put it on their AR and decided not to pin it?

I put the rest of my stuff back went up the street and bought everything we needed at another shop who simply smiled and took our business but I was curious if this was a shop-specific policy only shooters is enforcing or if now all other 49 states are having to now enforce/police the sale of things as harmless as an AR stock because of what MA has done with its laws.

Last edited:
The ID issue has been beaten so many times on this forum that there's LITERALLY NO BONES LEFT IN THE DEAD HORSE.

It's store policy for them to check IDs for purchases even if it's not required by law.You have exactly two options.
1 ) Shop there, present your ID when requested, leave with the merchandise after payment
2 ) Don't shop there

No third option, no more bitching about it. You aren't going to change store policy by posting on an internet forum, or their facebook page, and probably not even in a civil, polite, fact based discussion with the owner(s). Their private business, their policies, their choice.

Maybe if they keep seeing the same thing they will rethink their policies. For the present I have chosen option 2.

In the MFLR Post "buying parts and pieces do not require showing your ID. 0nly ammunition & magazines." i was not sure if this was a store policy or a law. if it's a store policy. His Store his rules good luck to him. I have dealt with enough Mass BS to last a lifetime

What requires you to check for ammo and magazines aside from being the appropriate age to buy ammo?

I live in NH so I have no horse in this race. I can only assume Shooters doesn't want to be a test case for maura Healey. Is she decides she is going to sue an out of state gun shop for selling regulated and banned things in your state. Does it suck, yes. Maura has limitless money and lawyers, Shooters would go bankrupt trying to fight it. Rileys is less than 5 miles up the road, go there. You are not going to make a point by bitching on the internet. Shooters isn't going to change store policy.

I live in NH so I have no horse in this race. I can only assume Shooters doesn't want to be a test case for maura Healey. Is she decides she is going to sue an out of state gun shop for selling regulated and banned things in your state. Does it suck, yes. Maura has limitless money and lawyers, Shooters would go bankrupt trying to fight it. Rileys is less than 5 miles up the road, go there. You are not going to make a point by bitching on the internet. Shooters isn't going to change store policy.

Glad you're satisfied to let Maura dictate what can or cannot be sold in NH.

It's store policy for them to check IDs for purchases even if it's not required by law.

You have exactly two options.
2 ) Don't shop there

I have chosen option 2.

There is something else that bothers me about Shooter's Outpost - their marquee advertises "Female Owned". WHAT THE F has that got to do with anything? I hate all this identity-politics stuff. Shouldn't they claim, "100% American Owned!", and just be happy with that?

There is something else that bothers me about Shooter's Outpost - their marquee advertises "Female Owned". WHAT THE F has that got to do with anything? I hate all this identity-politics stuff. Shouldn't they claim, "100% American Owned!", and just be happy with that?

Not if they bid on any gov't or perhaps other contracts. Minority owned gets preference over price and deliverables.

Not if they bid on any gov't or perhaps other contracts. Minority owned gets preference over price and deliverables.
This. Female owned, minority owned, etc get preference. I am not sure how far 'down the chain' this goes (i.e. is it a factor with local police departments?), but it is definitely part of defense contracting.

I personally consider it a blatant form of sexism/racism by our government.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Until one of you sits in a Boston court house testifying in a murder trial about ammunition you sold to a Massachusetts man accused of Murder at south station, and have BATF, Mass State Police & the FBI there saying that I was part of the problem selling ammunition to a guy without having an FID Card....Don't judge me for asking to see an ID, your state is dying to take down dealers from other states by placing blame. Being there to testify for the prosecution, it was a little surprising being thrown under the bus by the Massachusetts State Police to say the least. It's a fact that thugs from the commonwealth come to NH & Connecticut to purchase ammunition because so many will just sell it not giving a shit where it's going to fly later on. As far as magazines go: You can't purchase them in your home state "that sucks" for sure. But going to other states to bypass your own laws is foolish. I don't want my sales receipt in the pocket of one of these pieces of shit when he decides to hose down the next school, it only takes one to do it for my doors to be closed & 25 people are out of a job.

It seems like a select few like bashing gun stores all over the place to pump others up. But to date: not a single one of those that do has ever walked into my store to discuss it with me face to face. Sitting at a computer somehow makes you grow some balls. I have a lot of great customers on NES, and a select few that like acting like children. Those that know me understand that I'd take the shirt off my back to help anyone in need, to include other gun stores. As far as Female & Veteran owned, my wife did that to encourage our women customers to feel a little more comfortable walking into a gun store. We have more women shopping here than ever before or imagined.
Jim 603.396.6540

Good response Jim.

We should not shoot at Jim when mASS is the problem.

The State of Massachusetts is the problem, not the ones that are on here! It's easy for people to say "just move to NH" but it's not that easy when your job, family, home & friends are all there. I don't see it getting any better south of the border, as the left has complete control of the State Government.....sad

Back
Top Bottom