Shooting .22lr lead rounds out of an AR with .22lr conversion bolt

The internet has told me that only copper plated .22lr rounds should be fired out of an AR barrel. What would happen when lead rounds are shot? Excessive fouling? Damage?

As anyone done this and what were the results?

Nothing......not everything on the Internet is true. 22lr bullets are copper washed. They are not true copper jacketed any way you slice it. They may foul more or less depending on manufacturers and quality but I highly doubt you can damage your ar barrel by shooting 22's in it. Now, if you foul the hell out of the barrel by shooting lots of 22 then try shooting 223 afterward without cleaning......I think that could lead to issues.

Last edited:
Jfc not this again.

Shoot a few rounds of 223/556 and it blows any build up. Sure if your fireing a few 1ks rounds you might clog it to the point of more cleaning needing to be done.

I always run some .223 or 5.56 thru it after playing with .22, it blows the crap right out and cleans the rifling. Never had any issue here.

You should give me your unplated rounds just to be safe.

Riggggghht

Score a dedicated .22LR upper and replace your concerns with an appropriate twist rate and no gas tube to worry about.

I would like to use the upper I have to train with sights/optics, and weight.

I always run some .223 or 5.56 thru it after playing with .22, it blows the crap right out and cleans the rifling. Never had any issue here.

Good idea, I suppose some sort of pre-treatment would make cleaning easier.

Can't help you with .224 cast bullets, but I've run cast 180 grainers out of my gas-operated Hakim without issue. I don't run them full-tilt or exclusively, but enough to know they don't cause any significant grief. These are gas-checked bullet, btw. I run cast bullets in my Swedish Mauser (bolter) almost exclusively (with and w/o gas checks) and haven't run a brush through the bore in ages. It looks just fine to me.

I ran approx 3k lrn 22lr through my stag H2 only issue I had is,just in front of the chamber adapter I did get a build up of fouling lead carbon I don't know didn't care the 5.56 chamber brush cleaned it right up.
I suppose you could get a little lead build up in a bore from being a little sloppy bullet fit but it's hard to get lead fouling with 22lr. It does,happen how ever.
Here is one of many articleshttp://www.rrdvegas.com/rimfire-cleaning.html

As for my stag carbine.... I did not see any build up looking into the muzzle. YMMV.

You may get a little more leading in the barrel but that comes out with a brush and a little work. The biggest real concern would be leading in the gas port. This definitely can happen but will also happen with CPHP rounds (the copper plating comes off where it contacts the barrel and the lead is then exposed anyway — just not as much). I recommend firing 5-10 full power 5.56 rounds at the end of your range session to clear the gas port and tube. This is especially the case if the AR in question normally serves as a defensive gun (you'd hate to need it and find out your semi-auto thumper is basically a single-shot).

The only other thing is leading on your brake if you have a muzzle brake. Even firing CHPH rounds, the first wall of my break had a little mound of compacted lead smashed against it, all round the center hole. This will be more pronounced with lead rounds.

Bottom line is it's fine. Just clean thoroughly and use a few full power rounds when finished.

I've got a barrel here with a gas port that is completely clogged with lead from firing a shitload of .22 LRs through it with a conversion kit without firing any .223/5.56 to 'clean it out'.

I'm talking 'knock-the-front-sight-gas-block-off-with-a-hammer-and-use-a-drill-bit-to-get-lead-out-of-the-gas-port" clogged.

Anybody that tells you it can't happen is talking out of his ass, because it can happen and did.

I'll admit I'm still green on AR style rifles but aside from weight difference, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for someone to set up something like an M&P 15-22 or similar style .22 to the same configuration as the .223/5.56 rifle they have? I've seen some dedicated uppers that cost more than any of the .22 rifles on the market.

I've got a barrel here with a gas port that is completely clogged with lead from firing a shitload of .22 LRs through it with a conversion kit without firing any .223/5.56 to 'clean it out'.

I'm talking 'knock-the-front-sight-gas-block-off-with-a-hammer-and-use-a-drill-bit-to-get-lead-out-of-the-gas-port" clogged.

Anybody that tells you it can't happen is talking out of his ass, because it can happen and did.

How many rounds did it take to clog it like that EC?

I'll admit I'm still green on AR style rifles but aside from weight difference, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for someone to set up something like an M&P 15-22 or similar style .22 to the same configuration as the .223/5.56 rifle they have? I've seen some dedicated uppers that cost more than any of the .22 rifles on the market.

Yes, FS has the 15-22 for $359 right now. That's stupid cheap.

I scored a dedicated 22 upper from CMMG for 160$ shipped quite a while back to swap out on one of my pre-bans. Got it mostly for my girls with the collapsible stock. I already had a 15-22 but it's just a bit long for them.

How many rounds did it take to clog it like that EC?

If this helps, I took my AR out the other day and used my CMMG .22 conversion bolt. Fired 100 rounds with it and it short stroked the first 5.56 I put through afterward (a relatively hot MK262 Mod 1). I clear mine with some 5.56 often enough not to get a full clog, but could imagine EC's issue after 500-1000.

If this helps, I took my AR out the other day and used my CMMG .22 conversion bolt. Fired 100 rounds with it and it short stroked the first 5.56 I put through afterward (a relatively hot MK262 Mod 1). I clear mine with some 5.56 often enough not to get a full clog, but could imagine EC's issue after 500-1000.

That is a good enough argument for a 15-22 in my book.

I've contemplated going the route of a dedicated .22LR, but that means optics and accessories would have to be the same. I was thinking using the .22 BCG for running and gunning, 3 gun training.

I've contemplated going the route of a dedicated .22LR, but that means optics and accessories would have to be the same. I was thinking using the .22 BCG for running and gunning, 3 gun training.

I'm a fan of the conversion bolt. You get the same weight, accessories, and even trigger pull as the real thing because it IS the real thing, just shooting a different round. I think a 15-22 is way too much money, and even a dedicated .22 upper is going to have differences in weight and you'll need to buy another of your optics to be totally the same.

Just get the conversion bolt but be mindful of its limitations. Either fire some 5.56 through it after every 100-200 lead rounds, or after every 400-600 CPHP/CPRN rounds.

In a perfect world, with money as no object, I'd build an exact copy of my 5.56 gun for $2600 with accessories, and run it as a dedicated .22LR practice gun. Even if your 5.56 gun is only $1300, that's still $1100+ more than just getting the conversion bolt. Save your thousand(s) dollars and deal with occasionally clearing the gas port/tube.

A 15-22 is $359. How is that too much money? A .22 conversion bolt is $200 plus magazines. With a QD optic you are good to go. Crap like furniture is cheap. MAYBE you swap out a handguard so its the same as one of your AR's but that's about it.

Personally spending $380 with tax not to put lead in the gas system of my $1250 AR is a worthwhile investment.

A 15-22 is $359. How is that too much money? A .22 conversion bolt is $200 plus magazines. With a QD optic you are good to go. Crap like furniture is cheap. MAYBE you swap out a handguard so its the same as one of your AR's but that's about it.

Personally spending $380 with tax not to put lead in the gas system of my $1250 AR is a worthwhile investment.

Didn't realize they were that cheap. It would depend how one likes their gun set up. If I wanted to outfit a 15-22 to replicate my gun, the cost of the rail/handguard alone is $275, added to the cost of the gun. Then there's grip, stock, and still a weight difference. Depends how serious you are about fully recreating the feel of the original rifle, as opposed to practicing on the AR-15 platform in general. I'm sure it would be a smart move for some. I believe RImike mentioned 3-gun which would make me speculate that a floated handguard is in play (could be wrong). That alone would be more than the conversion bolt.

The recoil will never be the same and most handguards can be had for sub $200 if you know where to look.

$400 with a couple mags is pretty good.

The recoil will never be the same and most handguards can be had for sub $200 if you know where to look.

$400 with a couple mags is pretty good.

Right I'm saying it's all what you're trying to replicate. A BCM or Noveske rail is what it is where price is concerned, and if you really want that same setup there's no magical website that sells them dirt cheap. I could see myself getting a 15-22 one day but I'd never get it for the purpose of cheap training with another specific gun. Would just be for plinking or new shooters. To each their own.

BCM keymod rails are $200, Noveske are about the same; there ARE magical sites that sell them for much less than the $275 you quoted. But still, I get that you could dump more into a 15-22 than it actually cost but you end up with two rifles, enhanced reliability for both firearms, and increased accuracy from the .22 platform rifle.

If you really want to replicate, making a duplicate dedicated upper would be a way to go. The lower would remain the same so no added costs and if at some time you want a different lower set up you're gtg.

Although some of them are more expensive than a 15-22.

Back
Top Bottom