Shooting in a public park

Okay, I know this is 95% a ridiculous question, given MA's general laws, but I had to ask-

I know in a lot of states in the South, Southwest, Midwest, etc., one can easily set up cans at any distance they wish on open land, shoot to their heart's content, etc., without any trouble from LE.

Is the same true of MA? When I say public park, I'm obviously not talking tee-ball diamond here, I'm talking about a preserve or other very large public land.

Does it depend on the city? Is this just a pipe dream?

I knew a guy that was shooting in a farmers field that he had permission to shoot on. Some busy body adjacent to the land called the cops on him. He told me they pinched him for hunting without a license because he had on camo.

Join a club or two. Much safer and without any of the hassle.

B

yeoman Urban Roving or heres Egg Pye for ya

Dont think you can shoot a gun in the park but what about the wonerful sport of Roving?[smile]

p10.jpg

Get yourself a good long bow and go roving. Tuck half a dozen tough birch shafts, fletched with long, low turkey feathers, under your belt or slip them in your quiver. Adjust your leather armguard and put the "tab" in place. If you have a dog, take him along, he'll get as much fun out of it as you will. Saunter down the lane or strike off across the fields. The first target that catches your eye is a corner fence post. Draw, hold a second and away whistles your arrow. You miss by an inch, but you secretly figure it was a darn close shot at that.

Next there is a burdock bush. "Now if there was a rabbit right at the base of it, I'll bet I'd get him." A quick draw, a snappy release and the arrow speeds clean and true-right through the imaginary bunny. "That's shooting," say you. You walk a bit more and catch up with a friend. "Let's see you hit that telegraph pole, bet you can't." You nock a shaft - a favorite one, for now you're shooting under the eyes of a skeptic and critic. You take careful aim, loose perfectly and-a real thrill - you hit the pole dead center. "Gosh, you hit it!" "I'd like to shoot too, must be lots of fun." You affect indifference, as if socking a pole at that distance - all of forty yards-is nothing at all, and begin telling him something about bows and arrows.

After four or five of your friends are equipped, you can have real fun. You plan a roving course through the woods and over a hill. You lay out targets of various kinds. A corrugated box full of sod, a small flour sack full of leaves and dirt, a whitened stake, a wooden figure cut to resemble a bird, a toy balloon. Each one is placed from twenty to fifty yards apart, down the road, through the woods and up the hillside. You start at number one and shoot from mark to mark. He who gets around with the least number of shots, wins.

Years ago, in England, the home of the yeoman and long bow archery, elaborate roving courses were laid out. One of the famous ones, built about 1594, was near London and was called Finsbury Fields. The names of the butts or targets breathe romance and adventure. From The Castle to Gardstone was 185 yards: from Turkswale to Lambeth was 75 yards; from Bloody House Ridge to Arndol was 154 ,lards. From the Scarlet Lion to Jehu was 82 yards.

The course had hundreds of marks and could be shot over from many directions. After an exhilarating round of the course, the merry party could drop off at the Egg Pye or Whitehall for a tankard of ale and a cut of cold beef.

p12.jpg

Last edited:
Roving is illegal in MA (or, at least, the Mass Wildlife headquarters
believes so). I know, I had a loooong discussion/argument about this
last year. They state that it will be treated as hunting out of season.

Roving is illegal in MA (or, at least, the Mass Wildlife headquarters
believes so). I know, I had a loooong discussion/argument about this
last year. They state that it will be treated as hunting out of season.

Okay, I give up. Hunting what out of season? Last I knew weasels (how appropriate) and several other species were in season year round. Did they mean to say "without a license", or were they simply full of it? Since people have been using a few movie quotes here recently, "I'll believe ya when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."

Ken

I know in a lot of states in the South, Southwest, Midwest, etc., one can easily set up cans at any distance they wish on open land, shoot to their heart's content, etc., without any trouble from LE.

That is usually true ONLY on non-National Park Service federal lands. Mainly land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and by the US Forest Service. Possession of firearms outside of designated shooting ranges is illegal on all Army Corps of Engineers land. This I know after living for nine years in Kansas, and visiting relatives in northern Colorado many times.

There is another issue that you MA/NH/VT/ME guys need to be aware of. It is my understanding that in all or most of those four states one is free to roam through rural private land unless it is posted in a specific manner.

BEWARE about trying anything similar anywhere else. The rest of the country does NOT share the "commonwealth" traditions of your region and trespassing laws are dramatically different and stacked heavily in favor of landowners. The lack of tolerance for trespassers grows the farther south or west you go. Texas is a bad place for trespassing.

Both here in Ohio and in Kansas, trespassing on private land without at least verbal permission is a crime. In fact, Ohio game regulations require that hunters have written permission on a OHDNR form when on land that does not belong to them. Saying you have a verbal does not cut ut. The land does not need to be posted in a specific manner, posted at all, or even fenced. It is the trespasser's responsibility to know a) where he is and b) who owns the land he is on. Trying the "it wasn't posted" or "I thought I was somewhere else" is not going to cut it with the landowner and the Deputy Sheriff. Depending on your attitude the outcome can be a warning, a citation, or an arrest.

Okay, I give up. Hunting what out of season? Last I knew weasels (how appropriate) and several other species were in season year round. Did they mean to say "without a license", or were they simply full of it? Since people have been using a few movie quotes here recently, "I'll believe ya when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."

Ken

I know, I know. It was one of the most frustrating conversations of my life.
I actually went down to the headquarters to get my answers.
My take in the end was that it was simply not worth the risk.
They clearly stated that it was not an issue about licenses, as I made
it quite clear that I was licensed. Again. like most things in MA, they
have us over the barrel WRT our permits and I won't risk my ALP
for a day of roving and a BS game laws charge. According to the
hunting regs carrying a firearm in certain counties "where game is
present" is prohibited. WTF ?

I agree. WTF. I was hoping there may be areas where you could spend the day hiking and camping, and setting up targets. That would really appeal to me.

I remember doing that with my brother and father in law many years ago. We found a safe shooting area after hiking in the woods, and we shot at cans. So is that considered roving, and it's illegal?

What about out in western mass, are there rural areas that you can do that? Open land? Private where you can get permission?

Yes, it's all turning to sh*t.

I liked it better when as kids we could ride our bikes without a helmet and I could sit on my dad's lap and steer the car into the driveway. And if you had a pocket knife, the teacher might ask to borrow it rather than call the police to arrest you.

Back
Top Bottom