Shooting Sunglasses?

Hey all,

I have a gift certificate to Oakley I got for graduation...I'm looking to buy a nice pair of sunglasses/shooting glasses from there, as eventually I'll be doing most of my shooting down here in the Texas sun, but have a few questions..

Does anyone know of any shooting-designed lenses or types of lenses I should look for? What about polarization? I'm looking at the Romeos and Juliets (I like wire frames) with black iridium lenses, but I'm not sure how these would fare with shooting.

Thanks for any input.

I have a pair of M-Frames. I currently have VR-28 lenses, non polarized, in them. I wore them at the pumpkin shoot, they worked great. I also wear them driving, boating, whatever.

The only thing I'd say is you probably don't want anything too dark. I find the VR-28s to be a good balance between letting enough light in to wear and shoot in until late in the afternoon/early evening, and actually being effective around midday.

For texas, though, you might want something a little darker.

ETA: With some of the designs, like the M-Frames, you can swap lenses pretty damn easily. I'm not sure about the ones youre looking at, though.

I have a set of M-Frams with the changeable lenses. I like em a lot. Great for all day wear such as classes or NES shoots [wink]

However, I'm probably going to pick up a set of flak or half jackets or something similar for general range/everday use.

If you're LEO, military, gov't, etc check out www.usstandardissue.com

They've got a discount program with some pretty significant (read: VERY significant) price cuts on a lot of items.

Last edited:
I'm not LEO/Military/Govt. Just a student in college, but thanks for the heads up. Oakleys in general are pretty sturdy, yes?

I'm not LEO/Military/Govt. Just a student in college, but thanks for the heads up. Oakleys in general are pretty sturdy, yes?

I've had 3 or 4 pairs (various styles)... they've all been tough as nails. I'm not saying you could set on a set of M-Frames left on the seat of your car (never done it) but they can take a beating.

Great to hear. And its safe to say they're safe for shooting? I can't find the specs on their website.

First of all I hate anything on my face, but when I do wear sunglasses/shooting glasses they are always the lightest weight possible. I have a thing about stuff pressing on the bridge of my nose.

For super bright days at the range, I wear a pair of Maui Jim glasses.

I have a pair of Oakley half-jackets with interchangeable lenses. Very happy with them. I have polarized lenses for general wear, and yellow for range use.

I used to work for Oakley as a sales rep. I highly recommend getting a pair of Half Jacket XLJs. If you can afford it get the kit that comes with 3 lens's (each a different tint) the frame and a hard case.

This will cover you in any light situation, is a great fit, and they have the hydrophobic nose piece and ear socks that will keep them on your face in most any situation.

Check them out here,
http://oakley.com/pd/2081/10453

The good thing about these over the shields is that they have more "street wear" appeal.

The Juliet's are great as well, very tough and will fit most faces well. Only get the Romeos if you have a huge face, they are BIG.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Mike

I would have bought the three-pack, but I needed the polarized as I spend a lot of time on the water and need the glare reduction. But yellow does help with contrast in low-light situations (cloudy day at the range)

When and what was your territory?

I used to work for Oakley as a sales rep.

I would recommend the M-Frames, they have 4 different lens options for different sized faces. They have a shooting specific package as well, M-Frames with 3 different set of lenses.

I would advise against the Juliets, you don't have as much peripheral vision with them as would the M-Frames.

The newer ones such as the Radar work well too.

Too bad you do not live closer, I've got a quiver of sunglasses from my glory days of being a sponsored athlete.

from 01 to 03 worked with Emily B. Eastern MA territory, I handled her golf/bike shop/snow shop/surf accounts.

I think I remember Emily, she went to go work for Panama Jack and then Mark W. took over for her. She was crazy to leave Oakley, that's 1 company that has always treated their employees and athletes well.

from 01 to 03 worked with Emily B. Eastern MA territory, I handled her golf/bike shop/snow shop/surf accounts.

I'd say she's doing alright where she is. What sport did you do that you got the flow for?
I think I remember Emily, she went to go work for Panama Jack and then Mark W. took over for her. She was crazy to leave Oakley, that's 1 company that has always treated their employees and athletes well.

I come back to Boston every few months on break from school, so I am up in the area. But like I said, I received a gift certificate and I can probably afford what's left.

I'm definitely going to get to an outlet store to try some different ones on...Those Half Jacket XLJ's are sleek....are the transition lenses nice too? I might go the extra ~$75 if they're nice enough.

My shooting glasses for the last 5 years have been an M Frame with a pair of Heater lenses. Tinted chrome for the sun, yellow vented for indoors and clouds. I love these glasses.

One of the best shooting accessory purchases that I have ever made was my Randolph Engineering Ranger XL shooting glasses. I've got 6 sets of lenses to cover most every set of conditions. I think they offer close to 20 lens color variations.

Don't bother with the transition lenses, not worth it to start off with for shooting.

Half Jackets are nice, you'll be able to change from the regular lenses to the XLJs for more coverage.

I have Rx Oakley Square wires and they're excellent in terms of fit, optical quality and ruggedness. I wear then cycling quite a bit as well as shooting. I highly recommend them.

ok-09-695.html
Check out Oakley's Radar Range Shooting Array Set. There are two versions of this and although they retail for $245.00 they can be had through Ebay for under $200.00 I own these and between the low light to bright light, I have yet to find a better shooting pair of glasses. There is no optical distortion in the lens from any angle. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom