Shot my AR with no ear protection today...

...not to be an idiot, but just to see what I should expect should a situation ever arise where I didn't have my ear protection available. Boy was I in for a surprise. I shot about 5 rounds, accuracy @ 100 yards was non-existent after the first shot. It took about 15-20 mins to get the ringing out. Lesson learned.

I accidentally sttod next to my husband once while he fired an AR, and the pain and ringing will never be forgotten.

The 16 inch barrels are about twice as loud than the 20 inch barrels, or so it seems to me...

My friend was shooting .22LR with no plugs in, which would be fine if it was a 10/22. I mean you wouldn't think about it but it was a G22 bullpup with the ejection port right next to his ear. He was ringing for a good 15 mins.

Try it when the rifle (and the person ND'in it) is right next to you, with the muzzle right in front of your face when it fires.

Did you just take your ear protection off? I find my ears are more sensitive if you've been wearing protection for a while then take them off.

I shot my .357 like that before. Big time pain.

I was near a "surprise" discharge with an AR15... I nearly pissed my pants. I can't imagine being near anything other than a 22 without ear protection.

I nearly pissed my pants.
The one I mentioned on page 1...I can't say I almost pissed myself, but I DID literally feel all the blood rushing away from my head and I think I almost fainted.

ive shot a ton of times in the army without hearing protection. didnt bother me to much, but im sure its not good for my ears.
neither is driving around with the radio as loud as it goes...

ask me if i care in 40 years when im deaf! [rofl]

Inside, an AR is devastating to the ears. Can actually shut down your ability to function. Not the best choice for home defense if no hearing protection is available

Inside, an AR is devastating to the ears. Can actually shut down your ability to function. Not the best choice for home defense if no hearing protection is available

Very much so. Massmark and I talk about this ever so often. Some guns you can do it and hope at the same time you've got that adrenal energy shielding you. Some other guns I wouldnt dream of shooting indoors as a HD choice.

Sounds like a good reason to pass laws similar to the Montana Firearms Freedom Act in every state so home owners can have easier access to suppressors and save their ears.

I was near a "surprise" discharge with an AR15... I nearly pissed my pants. I can't imagine being near anything other than a 22 without ear protection.

Try firing a 9mm from inside a car with no ear protection - with someone else also firing. Old joke is all you hear is BOO as the OOM is lost to you [grin]

First time I hunted with my .300 mag with the BOSS compensator on it and fired at a deer I thought someone stabbed my eardrums with and icepick!!!![smile]

Try firing a 9mm from inside a car with no ear protection - with someone else also firing. Old joke is all you hear is BOO as the OOM is lost to you [grin]

Well... I did forget my ear protection at an indoor range. The .45 ACP out of my Sig 245 was just deafening. I was by myself late at night, the range at the time had nothing but cement walls... damn that sucked too!

It sucks and you suffer. The adrenaline helps you through it. Sometimes you can slap some plugs in. I always wondered that though why nobody ever writes about how bad the noise is. I am writing a short story on and off about one of my experiences and I try to describe how bad the noise and shock waves are.

I posted about this experience before.
One round from my 1911 out doors with dense brush left and right.
Left ear bleeding! Funny thing, my audiologist says my right ear is the dammaged one.
How anyone returns from combat with any ability to hear is beyond me.

Yea.. don't do that. I used to shoot all the time with no hearing protection, and now I curse the days that I did. It WILL screw up your hearing for life.. I never hear silence anymore.. only a faint "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

As far as a home defense situation, I would suggest having some electronic hearing protection with fresh batteries handy. Not only are quiet sounds amplified (giving you an advantage of better situational awareness), but if loud sounds start happening you have less disorientation. Obviously, if it is a moment's notice situation, you may not have time to mess with them, but if you do have the extra few seconds they would certainly come in handy.

As far as a home defense situation, I would suggest having some electronic hearing protection with fresh batteries handy. Not only are quiet sounds amplified (giving you an advantage of better situational awareness), but if loud sounds start happening you have less disorientation. Obviously, if it is a moment's notice situation, you may not have time to mess with them, but if you do have the extra few seconds they would certainly come in handy.

is this a serious post?

dont wear hearing protection when your trying to defend your home. why would you ever put your life in risk in order to protect your hearing?

you dont need your hearing when your in hell.

So wait - what do our troops do? I must assume they use ear plugs or something or all our troops would be deaf?

I was about 15-17ish and I was shooting my Dads rugar single-six .22mag. I fired it with no hearing protection and didn't take the tractor to my right into account. The sound bounced off of the tractor and into my right ear. The ring was there even when I laid my head on the pillow that night. Lesson learned.

OneEyedJack has your shotgun solution!
NES_NH_071809_006_DSC_3293.jpg

See extreme right!

Back
Top Bottom