• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shot Show 2019: AR in .500 Blackout

RapidTransit

NES Member
[cheers]
P1231255.jpg

Condition Red Ordnance Manufacturing (CROM) has this “riddle of steel”: how to create a highly portable platform that can fire .50 BMG bullets quietly. The answer is the .500 Blackout chambered Zero Dark Fifty. CROM already manufactures a .338LM chambered AR with their CR-7 platform, and were wanting to expand that platform to other possibilities. After some experimentation, they came up with the .500 Blackout. The 911gr bullet they have as their primary load produces 2385 ft/lbs at roughly 1085 ft/s, roughly 5x the energy of subsonic .300blk. CROM claims a max effective range of 1000m, and a velocity loss of only 9% at 400m. COAL is 3.8″.
[SHOT 2019] Condition Red's Zero Dark Fifty, a 10lb AR Firing subsonic .50 BMG bullets -

I must have such an animal. That thing is a beast!

After experimenting with a few different twist rates, they are preferring to use a 1;9 twist for now. CROM has a target weight of 9.5lbs and a target price of roughly $5500.00 when they bring the rifle to market. SAAMI certfication of the .500 Blackout is not complete and still in the works. Besides using existing .50bmg bullets, they’ve also experimented with a 600gr solid copper flat point producing 6000ft/lbs of energy at short range, and a 200gr aluminum HP designed to shatter on impact...Though a seriously light platform for such a bullet, CROM tells me that recoil is similar to a 20-gauge shotgun.

I better start saving up. This is one badass
MF gun.

Back
Top Bottom