Shrewsbury Sportsman Club

Does anybody here know anything about the Shrewsbury Sportsman Club on Rt 140? I drive by it atleast 3 times a week but have never driven down there. I have been a menber of 2 different clubs and have just never felt quite at home at either. I like to hunt waterfowl and would love to get into deer, turkey; all of it. I just feel like I need sort of hunting mentor and just have had no luck connecting with people at either club. I guess I'm looking for more of a hunting crowd that a defensive pistol/AR crowd (not that there's anything wrong with that) Any Ideas or info would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Zenprop

Hey Zen, sorry I don't have any advice for you nor can I help you out. But besides that, were is this located? I live right off of 140 on the Shrewsbury/Grafton line and can't recall ever seeing this place.

Also, I just found out that there is a gun range in my town (Grafton). I contacted them today about a membership. I'm not really looking for any place special, just a place to practice. You ever hear of the place (its actually off of 140 too, just towards the Grafton/Upton line).

If you get off of 290 and head south, there is a sign for the Shrewsbury Sportsman Club about a 1/4 down on the left. The sign is a t the end of a long driveway or small street. I think it's it's just a banquet hall but that is not confirmed.

The Grafton range is about a mile south of The Cumberland Farms and Post Office on 140. Take a left on Stowe Road and the gate is on the left, about 100 feet down a little driveway. You'll see all the yellow caution signs on the trees. I heard they have virtually no facilities and the guy I know who used to go there said he never saw another person there.

I thought about there, I live near Grafton Common. We'll see.

If you get off of 290 and head south, there is a sign for the Shrewsbury Sportsman Club about a 1/4 down on the left. The sign is a t the end of a long driveway or small street. I think it's it's just a banquet hall but that is not confirmed.

The Grafton range is about a mile south of The Cumberland Farms and Post Office on 140. Take a left on Stowe Road and the gate is on the left, about 100 feet down a little driveway. You'll see all the yellow caution signs on the trees. I heard they have virtually no facilities and the guy I know who used to go there said he never saw another person there.

I thought about there, I live near Grafton Common. We'll see.

I think I know what you are talking about in Shrewsbury. I always thought it was just a hall or something too.

I received an email from one of the people who runs the Grafton range and he told me they had rifle ranges going out to 200 yards and two pistol houses. I am definitely going to check it out. The appearance of the facility doesn't really matter to me that much. I just want a place to shoot that is close by to feed my new obsession, haha!

Yea, just a hall there. If you are on 140 and cross 290 you are about a mile from Worcester Pistol And Rifle Club. Great club, let me know if you want me to show you around.

Living in Grafton I too went around looking for clubs.

Contacted North Grafton club off 140, still may go check it out but the pistol houses are just that. A shelter to shoot outside. One of my requirements was an indoor 24 hour range with heat.

I've been a member of Harvard and Mystic Valley GC in the past and I wound up joining Hopkinton Sportsmans club. It's about 15 minutes from me in North Grafton and so far I've enjoyed my time there. Indoor range is 24 hour, heated, ventilated and just want I wanted.

Now to be fair it isn't Mystic Valley's indoor range but it's nicer than Harvard's as you don't have to clear the range and walk to change your targets in doors.

www.hsasports.com

Guys, you're damning North Grafton Fish, Bird & Game Club with faint praise. Sure, it's smaller than Harvard, but they have rifle and pistol ranges with some amazing berms - I'd bet you can shoot most any caliber there you want - and two heated shoot houses. Those wood stoves really DO put out some nice heat. Granted, the rest of the range IS outdoors, but you can at least stay warm while shooting.

Here is a thread about the Turkey Shoot that they hosted last year for my Lodge. It's got some pictures of the facilities (most of the pix focused on the shooters, but you can get an idea of what's there). For the amount that they charge for yearly dues, it's a hell of a bargain.

If I lived in Grafton, that'd be the FIRST place I'd be joining.

I didn't damn anything. I said I will most likely still check it out. However, my most important requirement for a club is a 24 hour hour heated indoor range. I tend to shoot the most at random latenight hours.

NG doesn't have that nor a skeet range which I'm hoping to get back into. As spring progresses, I will most likely check it out and probably join as I like to support anything that is local in my town. Your pictures of the Turkey shoot is what led me to start asking questions about the place.

Guys come on down to Hopkinton Sportmen's club on Lumber St.
24 hour card key access to a heated indoor range. Trap/skeet/sporting clays and a 100 yard rifle/pistol range.

I second ipscdrl. I joined in January and have been nothing but pleased since joining. I'm really looking forward to getting back into skeet too.

The skeet and trap fields are open to the public. I'm usually on the skeet fields Sunday mornings. We also shoot skeet under the lights on Tuesday evenings.
The practical pistol crew meets on Wednesday evenings from ~ 5:30-7:30. Come on out and join us some time.

Guys come on down to Hopkinton Sportmen's club on Lumber St.
24 hour card key access to a heated indoor range. Trap/skeet/sporting clays and a 100 yard rifle/pistol range.

Tell me a little about the indoor pistol range. Do they have the automatic target things (can't remember what you call em!). How many stations does it have? I live in millbury and am looking for a place that has two things... A reasonably nice indoor pistol range, and at least a 100 yd rifle range. Do they have a website or somewhere I can see a picture or two? I'm very interested in seeing the club.
Rick<><

Hopkinton's web site is http://www.hsasports.com/
The indoor range has six lanes and is 50' long. The target system is not automatic, but you do not need to go down range to hang targets. It's a rope and pulley system overhead and you manually send the hanger downrange.

-Nat

Back
Top Bottom