• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clubs and defensive shooting?

I'm not interested in target/competition shooting so much as defensive shooting. Most clubs require the targets at the indoor range (possibly outside as well?) be set at 25 ft, which is in no way a self-defense range. Are there any ranges that allow people to shoot at 7 to 10 yards?
I had to read this again, 25ft is in between 7-10 yards. Are you trying to say that the ranges you don't like are making you shoot at 25 yards? And IMHO 25 ft is not out of bounds for a justified defensive shot. If your using your CCW to save your life the last thing on your mind will be how many feet away is the bad guy and do I have imaginary clearance.

Cape Ann Sportsman’s Club in Gloucester allows it and you can shoot 5 feet from the target if you want. But that’s assuming there’s no one else in the pistol pit with you

They’re FUDDs with “rapid firing” however

I had to read this again, 25ft is in between 7-10 yards. Are you trying to say that the ranges you don't like are making you shoot at 25 yards? And IMHO 25 ft is not out of bounds for a justified defensive shot. If your using your CCW to save your life the last thing on your mind will be how many feet away is the bad guy and do I have imaginary clearance.
Not to speak for the OP, but I thought that she had a typo and she meant that she was looking for someplace where she could practice drawing and shooting at 7-10 feet, not yards. Apologies if I have that wrong.

I'm not interested in target/competition shooting so much as defensive shooting. Most clubs require the targets at the indoor range (possibly outside as well?) be set at 25 ft, which is in no way a self-defense range. Are there any ranges that allow people to shoot at 7 to 10 yards?
If you don't mind driving to within a couple miles of Mt. Wachusett, my primary club will allow you to place the targets as close as you want and to pull the trigger as fast as you want. Outdoors only, however. As long as you don't muzzle sweep anyone when drawing and your shots hit the berm, you are good to go. Easy membership requirements and low dues, key fob access whenever you want with very few range closed days / hours.

@Amputee Marksman is this true? So it’s only allowed for IDPA matches?

Yes. Currently there are special provisions in place for IDPA matches and practices.

I've had conversations with the CRO about drawing from the holster and I will be working to try and get this approved. Last time I tried it failed however at the current point in time I have support from enough Board members were I believe I can get it through. The biggest impediment to this is the damn yahoos shooting everything up. The Club President and others will point out all the crap shot to sh!t and then say "and you want us to let them draw from the holster and rapid fire" and the fact that we don't have dedicated pits for action shooting.

As others have said the best bet at this time is Harvard. That's where I go. I was just over there last Sunday with a single target setup working on draw, acquire and single shot. Trying to get it as close to a second as possible.

Last edited:
Andover Sportsmen's (technically in North Andover off of 114 in Bradley Palmer State Forest). I think its at 21' outside but inside they can be adjusted as close as you want.
All true except ASC is located inside Harold Parker State Forest off Route 114 in North Andover not Bradley Palmer which is up in the Topsfield area off Route 1.

If you don't mind driving to within a couple miles of Mt. Wachusett, my primary club will allow you to place the targets as close as you want and to pull the trigger as fast as you want. Outdoors only, however. As long as you don't muzzle sweep anyone when drawing and your shots hit the berm, you are good to go. Easy membership requirements and low dues, key fob access whenever you want with very few range closed days / hours.
Where at? Curious minds would like to know.

7 yards is 21 feet. Maybe lean forward or stretch out your arms? And for ten yards maybe take a step back?

I'm missing something from your question
I disagree. At 25 ft, I can't justify shooting at that distance in a liberal state and calling it self defense.
I'd practice at 25. Satistically a person can run across a 21 foot room faster than most people could react pull their gun and shoot. Inside a space that size, a knife is more effective.

Last edited:
I disagree. At 25 ft, I can't justify shooting at that distance in a liberal state and calling it self defense.
By all means train for close range and point-blank defensive shooting, but this rationale is nonsense.

You are either using deadly force to prevent grave bodily harm or you aren’t. You’re going to spend a shit ton of money on lawyers to defend you either way.

If someone is charging me with a knife from 25’ away I am popping him and I’ll worry about the legal fees later.

I have heard lots of people say that they would never shoot beyond a certain distance because that would not be justifiable self defense. This idea has always bothered me, and I have been thinking about writing an article about why. Here is a summary of my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying that the majority of self defense situations happen at short ranges, and I agree that training should focus on that.

The mindset that I would encourage says "if a bad person has a firearm, then they get to control the time, place, and distance of the encounter." And the important part of this statement is not about the distance, it is about control. When you say, I would not shoot past some distance, you are imagining that you have control in that situation. And imagining that we have control is something that makes us feel safer, but it does not actually make us safer.

The reality of a defensive situation is that the good person does not have much control. You control your skills that you have built through training, and your mindset to prevail, and not much else. Some people would try to offer a more positive and optimistic viewpoint. But I think a realistic viewpoint builds the best mindset, even if the reality is not great.

With that said, I do agree that most people with limited time and budget should do most of their pistol training between three and ten yards. But this is not because you should never shoot farther. It is because these are ideal distances for learning quick controlled shooting with combat level accuracy. And I do think a small amount of time should be spent at longer distances. But now we are talking about how to plan effective pistol training, which could be the subject of a different article.

On the bright side; if you can hit your target at 25 ft, you'll pretty much know you can hit your target much closer.

P.S. never let a potential threat get "much closer" to you.

Well stated . Option 1 access the level of the threat and FLEE if possible. most deadly encounters are between 8-15'

The fudd is strong in this thread.

See my above post and go watch/do a few Idpa matches

Most clubs with cable target holders allow you to shoot from 0-25 ft if not more. Otherwise how could you change targets?

At MFS You can shoot any distance and draw from the holster

Back
Top Bottom