SIG P226 Airsoft Review

I searched all over the internet for a decent review of the Sig Airsoft pistols and couldn’t find one so, here is my own! This is my first Airsoft so let me disclaim right now I have no experience whatsoever with Airsoft. I do however own a Sig P226 in 9mm, so I’ll compare it to the real deal (herein referred to as the P226).

I purchased the Airsoft from a dealer: retail about $225, MSRP is $299. There is a lot of speculation as to how they differ from the KJW brand now sold without the Sig logos. Sig certainly has them made in Taiwan and the magazines are marked KJW. I don’t know about the KJW but the Sig Airsoft is all metal (lower, slide, and trigger).

The Airsoft and the P226 weigh about the same and even balance equally (P226 magazine loaded with fifteen 9 mm rounds). I don’t have a scale that measures to the oz. but they each weigh about 2.5 lbs.

Grips are very similar but upon close inspection are not exactly the same as my P226 (although they could match new production). The Airsoft trigger guard is smaller and the trigger shorter than a stock P226 but it’s about the same trigger distance as my short-trigger P226. There is also no stippling on the front strap of the Airsoft.

Trigger pull is adequate for practice but not as smooth as the P226. The Airsoft trigger is much lighter than the P226 in double action and slightly lighter in single. Considering it’s an Airsoft and the P226 has a superb trigger, the Airsoft trigger pretty good.

The biggest difference is the Airsoft action is much easier to operate. This Sig Airsoft has a blow-back feature so the recoil spring is very light. Going back and forth between the two makes the P226 seem like a bear to rack. The mag release and slide catch are also much easy to manipulate. I’m a little concerned I’ll get lazy with the racking the P226 if I use the Airsoft much.

The Airsoft shoots well too! It’s powerful enough that I certainly wouldn’t want to be on the business end of it. I’d like to do a range comparison someday just for kicks.

Overall I’m happy with my acquisition.

-AD

right.jpg

left.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't shot it enough to give you a good answer. I need to set up my range better (clean my basement [grin]) and mark off some distances. Thus far I have been able to get less than one inch groups at about 20 ft. At 30 ft. it was more like 6 in. groups. Unfortunately I don't think I can make a good alley in my basement longer than that.

Outside wind would certainly be a factor but for me it's an indoor toy. Someday I'll get it to the range and do a side by side with the real 226.

Last edited:
I remember a while back myself and the other 2 guys I work with all had the spring power Desert Eagle airsoft pistols. They cost around $30 each and packed a whallop! They'd draw blood at close range on bare skin and were very accurate.
It got to where with quality pellets I could get a hand shot from about 20 yards away. I've got real pistols that I can't shoot that well with.

I've been toying about getting one too since I have a SIG P229. My idea is to set up a small range in my basement to use when the weather is inclement.

Back
Top Bottom