Sig P320 w/ thumb safety - what do you do with your thumb?

fog

I'm a newly-licensed gun owner, and picked up the Sig P320. Mine (purchased in MA) has the thumb safety. Especially being relatively new to handling a firearm in the first place, I'm really struggling with how to grip the gun, because with the safety off, it protrudes exactly where I try to naturally put my thumb. I'm unsure if the issue is that I'm a new shooter with bad form, or if it's the gun -- or maybe a bit of both.

With the safety engaged (safe), my right (dominant) hand thumb sits right underneath the safety switch, which is comfortable. But if I flip it down to shoot, my thumb naturally wants to rest right where the safety protrudes. I either end up cramming my thumb underneath, which is uncomfortable and liable to flip the safety back on at an inopportune time, or I put my thumb on top of the safety, where it's almost resting against the slide. Am I just holding it too high? If I put my finger in the indentation opposite the one where my trigger finger is, it feels like I'm gripping the gun a little too low.

Your right hand thumb SHOULD be on top of the safety when shooting.

Last edited:
Take a picture, seriously.

That'd be smart, huh?

Had a hard time getting a good photo of this, but it looks like this. Am I right to fear slide bite from the side of my thumb pressing up against the slide? I was able to put some rounds through the gun yesterday without incident, but it was a conscious effort to keep my thumb away.

slHdEnf.jpg

Last edited:
Keep your thumb on top of the safety, pressing down, while you shoot.

^this. either run it like a 1911 with thumb on top of the safety, or keep the thumb underneath and away from the thumb safety. wouldn't run the gun with thumb right under the safety.

personally for any gun with thumb safeties i just run it with my thumb pushing down on it. the only guns i have w thumb safety are 1911 and USP.....works on both.

The slide isn't going to bite you. Put your thumb on top of the safety. If you have your thumb directly under the safety, there is a good chance that during recoil your thumb will move upwards and inadvertently put the gun on safe.

1911 guys have been shooting this way for decades.

The slide isn't going to bite you. Put your thumb on top of the safety. If you have your thumb directly under the safety, there is a good chance that during recoil your thumb will move upwards and inadvertently put the gun on safe.

1911 guys have been shooting this way for decades.

This.

I put my thumb where the safety would be on all the guns regardless of the type of safety and have never once even noticed the slide moving.
Try it again. You will be fine.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ultimate-guide-shoot-pistol-accurately/

Handgun-Grip-Thumb-Forward-1024x683.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, all! This is very helpful. I spent a little bit dry-firing like this tonight and it now feels quite natural. I like the point that people have been doing it this way forever with the 1911; it makes me a lot more confident about doing it this way. The Pew Pew Tactical (heh) link gives me a lot to pay attention to as well!

Unsure if the no-safety version of the 320 is still sold in MA, maybe with a heavier trigger pull, or if the safety is required. Honestly I hadn't realized it wasn't standard on all 320s until after I'd bought it, though it wouldn't have changed my decision. It does make it awfully hard for me to try out a subcompact grip module for it, though. :(

Just curious, does the Massachusetts version of the 320 allow for a safety OR no safety?

Not "as delivered at a typical MA gun shop" but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from getting the gun repaired or getting a non-MA gun if you're ambitious enough.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom