Sig Service SUCKS!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
In a previous thread (which of course I cannot find right now) I mentioned that Sig had a pair of my slides from my FFL for night sight installation and re-finishing. And they had them for several months; they were sent in last September. Well, they say that you have to wait for good workmanship.

WRONG!

The slides came back today. We had paid for two sets of night sights. The P245 slide had sights installed. The P220 slide did not. No explanation or refund or anything. My FFL is following up with them to find out what happened.

But looking at my P245 tonight really frosted my chaps. As I was re-assembling the slide to the frame I noticed the date on the Trijicon night sights. 04. As in 2004. Newly installed sights and they are already 4 years old! Sure they are bright now, but I have four less years service then I should have expected from a factory installation.

Oh, and there was no re-finishing but they were kind enough to let us know that upfront.

I cannot think of any acceptable reason for problems like this from what should be one of the best gun manufacturers in the world. I still like Sigs but in the future I'd rather drive the 110 miles to Four Seasons for their servive than take a chance on the factory again.

04? Thats not cool. I'd pitch a bitch. Rail enough and maybe you'll get some free mags along with current night sights. Mention your propensity for speaking your mind to the pistol packing masses.[wink]

On second thought, masses might not impress them.[frown] Good luck.

That sucks.... I knew the factory was slow but didn't know they were that
bad.

Thankfully I've never had to send any of my Sigs back to the factory. [smile]

-Mike

Tough to beat Jimmy F at Four Seasons. Gets it done quickly and more economically too. Plus you get to hang out at the gun shop.

Chris

My Sig sights have a designation very similar to that. It designates the height of the sight. The front sight of my 220c will have either a 06 or 08 depending on the height. That may be what you are looking at and not the date of manufacture. Nowhere is a date code on the sights.

rscalzo

From what I have observed of Trijicon night sights, they do have the year of manufacture stamped on both the front and rear sight. But I will check to make sure and report what I find.

My Sig sights have a designation very similar to that. It designates the height of the sight. The front sight of my 220c will have either a 06 or 08 depending on the height. That may be what you are looking at and not the date of manufacture. Nowhere is a date code on the sights.

Same on my P229. It has the height stamped on the sights.

Tough to beat Jimmy F at Four Seasons. Gets it done quickly and more economically too. Plus you get to hang out at the gun shop.

Chris

I second this. I have had night sights put on both my Sigs by Jimmy and both times he was done installing them before I was done poking around the shop. No need to go to the factory, just go see Jimmy.

Issues with Sig C.S. are a legendary and everpresent subject on SigForum. Sig is still my favorite handgun but luckily I have never had to send any of mine back. If I did and I had an issue like the ones I read about, that may change.

I just spoke to Trijicon Customer Service. The two digit number on their sights is the year of manufacture. Sig Sights may be marked differently.

I have to check with a magnifying glass. I can barely see the numbers as it is.

Mine are Mepro's but there is no date code on them. The firearm was purchased directly from the factory last year.

Last edited:
My P220 has 8's on front and rear sight. As I've owned it for over 2 years, it's not the date. The owner's manual indicates the number is the sight height, but no has no digits below 5. The manual is applicable to the P245 model as well. The mystery continues.

Part of the noise factor here is that I don't think Trijicon exclusively makes the sig night sights, or if they do, they're not labeled the same way. I think meprolight and other companies have made them, as well. I have sig factory nightsights on my P228 and P229 and both of them just have height numbers. The P228 was used and came with them installed, the gun is probably 6+ years old.... On the P229 I have, I had Jimmy at FS put those on, same kinda sights. (And FWIW, I agree with executive.... Jimmy does pretty good work, and the price is fair. I've had him install Glock NS for me
too, got it back in no time flat. )

-Mike

Unfortunately I'll have to take my SIG in for repair once I have some $$.

The take-down lever on my SIG P229 for some reason will not engage, and thus I have been unable to dissassemble the pistol. [sad]

This is such an odd problem that I hope it can be FIXed. Or else I'm going to be really testing how long the pistol can go w/o being cleaned [wink]

Unfortunately I'll have to take my SIG in for repair once I have some $$.

The take-down lever on my SIG P229 for some reason will not engage, and thus I have been unable to dissassemble the pistol. [sad]

This is such an odd problem that I hope it can be FIXed. Or else I'm going to be really testing how long the pistol can go w/o being cleaned [wink]

That's odd. There isn't much to it. Not ask a stupid question, but you do lock the slide back before trying to change the position of the take down lever. Correct? You won't be able to move it if the slide isn't locked back first. I've seen some of the instructors at the Sig academy make that mistake.

That's odd. There isn't much to it. Not ask a stupid question, but you do lock the slide back before trying to change the position of the take down lever. Correct? You won't be able to move it if the slide isn't locked back first. I've seen some of the instructors at the Sig academy make that mistake.

Sorry if i didn't explain it clearly. The problem is that the lever is loose. So when the slide is locked back, and I go to engage the take-down lever its loose and doesn't engage.

Have you inquired if they will look at it under the warranty?

Not at this moment. I've been busy within the last several weeks so I haven't really had much of a chance yet. I will get to it some time mid-May. Luckily this isn't my carry-piece. Just my safe-queen.

I'm just afraid they won't cover it. Because I sort of tried to see if it was something that could be fixed, but in the process i made a slight scratch in that area. I have a feeling they'd be like "you caused it!" warranty voided.

Not at this moment. I've been busy within the last several weeks so I haven't really had much of a chance yet. I will get to it some time mid-May. Luckily this isn't my carry-piece. Just my safe-queen.

I'm just afraid they won't cover it. Because I sort of tried to see if it was something that could be fixed, but in the process i made a slight scratch in that area. I have a feeling they'd be like "you caused it!" warranty voided.

You might want to post your problem on the Sig Forum (www.sigforum.com) and see if anyone has any knowledge of this type of problem.

Fsorrent,I have fixed a few of these at the shop ,you have to be real careful, but take a dremel with a round thin cutting disc tape up the gun around the lever ,and cut a slot in the middle of the stud just enough to put a flat blade screwdriver in and turn it .order a new part.hope this helps Jim

My 226 takedown lever broke with less than 1000 rounds and 4 cleanings, just got it back from Sig though I asked FS to send it -- I got the old lever back and it was indeed broken.

sigs

I am a believer in owning american made guns to keep the factories going.
my good guns are american,I do have an ortiega(?)but it was cheep. and a norico.there is nothing like a S&W revolver.not those monsters tho.[smile][rolleyes]

I am a believer in owning american made guns to keep the factories going.
my good guns are american,I do have an ortiega(?)but it was cheep. and a norico.there is nothing like a S&W revolver.not those monsters tho.[smile][rolleyes]

Sigs ARE made in the US now... the majority of the product line is made in
Exeter, NH.

-Mike

Up Date

My FFL has been unable to get anyone from Sig Customer Service to give him any substantial information on why this happened nor has anyone offered any reimbursement for the work paid but not done. And the reason that the rear sights seem so much dimmer than the front is that they appear to be orange, not the green-on-green I had requested.

Back
Top Bottom