• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP Service Pistols

PappyM3

NES Member
I’m thinking of getting into CMP Service Pistol bullseye shooting. What’s everyone else shooting? Looking for a pistol that can shot <=2” at 50 yards. I mean, I can’t shoot that off-hand yet, but I want me to be the weak link, not my tool. Looking for sub-$2k, but preferably sub-$1.5k

First thought was an accurized M9/92FS, but I ain’t got time to wait for that to get done.

IMG_9173.jpeg

I’d prefer 9mm, and thankfully CMP opened up the regs really wide so the make and model isn’t stipulated, but rather features.

So now I’m thinking a 9mm 1911. Colt Gold Cup/Gold Cup National Match? I don’t need a pricey custom fit 1911 where the slide to frame fitment is practically an interference fit. As long as the precision in the groups is there with a good trigger, barrel, and barrel/slide fitment.
IMG_9174.jpeg
IMG_9175.png

Buuuuttt… I keep thinking of the P210 Target. I’d have to change the grips and increase trigger weight slightly. A 1911 would be easier to update/maintain with the vast aftermarket and mags would be 10 rounds and plentiful compared to the Sig 8 rounders. But man, it’s cool.

IMG_9176.jpeg

How precise are the CZ race guns? The Shadow 2 looks fun.

I’m thinking of getting into CMP Service Pistol bullseye shooting. What’s everyone else shooting? Looking for a pistol that can shot <=2” at 50 yards. I mean, I can’t shoot that off-hand yet, but I want me to be the weak link, not my tool. Looking for sub-$2k, but preferably sub-$1.5k

First thought was an accurized M9/92FS, but I ain’t got time to wait for that to get done.

View attachment 847193

I’d prefer 9mm, and thankfully CMP opened up the regs really wide so the make and model isn’t stipulated, but rather features.

So now I’m thinking a 9mm 1911. Colt Gold Cup/Gold Cup National Match? I don’t need a pricey custom fit 1911 where the slide to frame fitment is practically an interference fit. As long as the precision in the groups is there with a good trigger, barrel, and barrel/slide fitment.
View attachment 847195
View attachment 847196

Buuuuttt… I keep thinking of the P210 Target. I’d have to change the grips and increase trigger weight slightly. A 1911 would be easier to update/maintain with the vast aftermarket and mags would be 10 rounds and plentiful compared to the Sig 8 rounders. But man, it’s cool.

View attachment 847197

My shadow 2 is a laser. No compaints at all.

It was the gun that convinced me that da/sa guns are ok (normally I hate them).

That said I’d look into a well built 1911.

They are the gold standard for bullseye.

The 210 is an option also, but a bit esoteric in general. But I like your thinking.

View attachment 847193

View attachment 847195
View attachment 847196

View attachment 847197

Are you still in New England or would travel? My dance card is full with rifle matches, but the New England Games at Camp Ethan Allen have service pistol matches. It's a great location and usually the weather is fantastic for competition.

Damn that P210 target looks good...

The 226 x5’s seem cool

I have a 226 Legion SAO and it’s hands down one of the best triggers I’ve ever used. Including custom 1911 trigger jobs.

I'm exactly as accurate with my AR15 as I am with the 226/2022 within 50 yards. Cloverleafs at 25 and golf ball at 50. Fkin insane. If I can see it I can hit it. I can't imagine the x5 being a lot more accurate.

I'm exactly as accurate with my AR15 as I am with the 226/2022 within 50 yards. Cloverleafs at 25 and golf ball at 50. Fkin insane. If I can see it I can hit it. I can't imagine the x5 being a lot more accurate.
It costs more money, to show the poors what you are made of.

CZ 75 B SA or CZ 97 BD.
You can accurize them yourself, or Cajun can do it for you.
You do not want one with the firing pin block.

And if you do, you can defeat it. But not sure if that will run afoul of the bullseye rules. It will be illegal [sic] for idpa.

I don't believe any CZ shadow is on the list of service pistols.
No clue. Just offering my CZ experience

I’d recommend a tuned 1911.

I have several 1911’s. I’m a huge fan of them and finger banged a few high end builds. Fap-fap!

The 226 x5’s seem cool

I have a 226 Legion SAO and it’s hands down one of the best triggers I’ve ever used. Including custom 1911 trigger jobs.

My 226 Legion SAO is a tack driver.

My 226 has a super nice trigger but I did some work on it. Out of the box my 1911 had a better trigger. The 226 will always have a different feel than a 1911 due to the design. You can't eliminate all of the pre-travel in 226 SAO because the design was originally DA/SA and they modified the design and added the safety.

My 226 Legion SAO is a tack driver.

My 226 has a super nice trigger but I did some work on it. Out of the box my 1911 had a better trigger. The 226 will always have a different feel than a 1911 due to the design. You can't eliminate all of the pre-travel in 226 SAO because the design was originally DA/SA and they modified the design and added the safety.
Another 226 Legion SAO owner here (2 in fact). The trigger out of the box is fine, I use a trigger weld technique, which is probably best for the newest generation of CZ trigger, but still works fine for it.

Have you shot any bullseye matches yet? See/ask what successful competitors are using.
I bet 80% are shooting a .45 1911. 19.5% are using a 9mm M9. And .5% are using a Sig or CZ. The guys using the Sig or CZ are not winning those matches.
The rules were opened up a few years back to increase participation: run what ya got.

The problem with 9mm is that you have to run really hot loads to get accuracy at 50 yards. Some say a 1911 running 185's has similar recoil to a M9 running hot 9's.

Have you shot any bullseye matches yet? See/ask what successful competitors are using.
I bet 80% are shooting a .45 1911. 19.5% are using a 9mm M9. And .5% are using a Sig or CZ. The guys using the Sig or CZ are not winning those matches.
The rules were opened up a few years back to increase participation: run what ya got.

The problem with 9mm is that you have to run really hot loads to get accuracy at 50 yards. Some say a 1911 running 185's has similar recoil to a M9 running hot 9's.

Good info, thanks. I’ve done one a few years ago just to try it out. Everyone had .45 1911s. The vast majority of the guys I asked chose the 45 1911 because they could double their use with the .45 specific matches. That doesn’t really interest me.

I looked on bullseyeforums, but there’s so much non-EIC stuff to go through and their search feature is broken. That’s why I wanted to ask what people were running here.

I knew that scores had gone up since people started switching to M9s. And if I start reloading a pistol caliber, I’d prefer it to be 9mm because of all my other pistols. But I didn’t realize that the better precision at 50 was with hotter loads of 9mm. I had been keeping an eye on Atlanta Arms AMU 115gr loads, but they’re currently out of stock.

Good info, thanks. I’ve done one a few years ago just to try it out. Everyone had .45 1911s. The vast majority of the guys I asked chose the 45 1911 because they could double their use with the .45 specific matches. That doesn’t really interest me.

I looked on bullseyeforums, but there’s so much non-EIC stuff to go through and their search feature is broken. That’s why I wanted to ask what people were running here.

I knew that scores had gone up since people started switching to M9s. And if I start reloading a pistol caliber, I’d prefer it to be 9mm because of all my other pistols. But I didn’t realize that the better precision at 50 was with hotter loads of 9mm. I had been keeping an eye on Atlanta Arms AMU 115gr loads, but they’re currently out of stock.
Don't forget that a .45 hole will cut more lines than a. 38 hole.

And, the best place to earn EIC points is out at Perry. Local matches are a meat-grinder, but I look at scores out at the Boards Matches and I think to myself "I can do that".

And, the best place to earn EIC points is out at Perry. Local matches are a meat-grinder, but I look at scores out at the Boards Matches and I think to myself "I can do that".

Nice thing I noticed about the service pistol matches at Perry is both the Presidents and NM are on the same day. I could fly in the day before, and fly back the next evening. With rifles I’d have 4 days, fly in, hazard perry for dope confirmation, presidents, and NM all on separate days.

Getting a match pistol built is a big headache, takes a LONG time, and is usually very expensive.

This will get you distinguished if you put your time in.

Very nice. But that’s a spicy meatball, price-wise. I know there are also $7k+ 1911s, but $3.8k is quite a lot for casually competing in a particular shooting discipline. As long as the pistol can safely get in the 10 ring, then I’m good. The biggest challenge will be me learning pistols better.

Last edited:

This looks nice. There's a few others on there as well. I've seen some really cool retro custom bullseye ones come up for sale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom