Small of the back carry

Personally, I feel as though there are too many opportunities for my shirt to rise up (getting out of a car, bending over to pick something up, etc) and the weapon to be exposed. I carry at 12 noon, front and center.

I carry small of the back but only with the p3at with the belt clip on it and no holster. Only handgun I can get to fit comfortably enough and fully conceal all the time in that spot. I am also trying to find a good holster for the same spot for a compact 1911 size handgun or my g17. Thanks for starting this thread.

Many articles mention the concern about the risk of falling back and injure your spine when SOB holsters are used. Also weapon retention is the hardest compared to other types: either hand is at the weakest position when bend toward the back.

Does any one carry there, if so any recommendations for a good comfortable holster.

There's so many disadvantages of SOB carry, and not a single advantage.

- it is very easy to cross your body with the gun while drawing or holstering.
- draw is slow
- draw is very easily jammed from someone behind you.
- very hard to defend against a gun grab
- you basically can't pick anything up from the floor -- your gun prints horribly whether you bend over or kneel down.
- finally, there is the risk of serious injury if you fall on your back.
- very uncomfortable when seated
- very hard to draw when seated

I just don't see a single advantage for SOB carry.

Does any one carry there, if so any recommendations for a good comfortable holster.

You're better off with what they call a "Middle of Back" carry method. Where SOB is outside the waistband and the muzzle is pointed towards the weak side, MOB is inside the waistband and the muzzle is almost vertical. I carried a thick G29 for 2-1/2 years MOB in a left handed CompTac CTAC. At the time it was the only IWB position that I could carry without printing. Yes, there are limitations, but I accepted those limitations and traded them for the ability to conceal.

Most people I know that carry, carry in the small of their back or maybe Mexican style. Only exceptions are the pocket holster one guy has, and anybody here on NES, who I don't really "know".

I tried carrying a G27 in a Galco SOB years back...I wouldn't advise SOB carry for the afore mentioned reasons. BTW, I heard the only time EC really advocates SOB carry is as long as it's a .40 [wink]

Most people I know that carry, carry in the small of their back or maybe Mexican style. Only exceptions are the pocket holster one guy has, and anybody here on NES, who I don't really "know".

Havent had my coffee yet, is this sarcasm?

Personally, I feel as though there are too many opportunities for my shirt to rise up (getting out of a car, bending over to pick something up, etc) and the weapon to be exposed. I carry at 12 noon, front and center.

This, to me, is the biggest reason NOT to do this. BTDT and was outed twice due to MOB carry. Once in a restaurant as I got up to leave and the other time at Town Meeting as I got up to speak and my jacket rode up over the butt of the gun . . . heard the gasps from rows of people sitting behind me in the auditorium.

I don't recommend it!

As for being uncomfortable sitting, I never found this to be an issue. However the curvature of my back is reasonably pronounced. If your back is straight as an arrow, this is likely to be a problem.

Do you have one of those Derringer belt buckles? Seriously though, what kind of gun and with what holster are you carrying at 12 o'clock?

4:00. Just behind my right hip. I tired SOB for giggles once. It sucked.

Same here. Tried it for a few days when I first got my LTC. Never again.

4:00. Just behind my right hip. I tired SOB for giggles once. It sucked.

OK. Maybe I should change my info on how I carry the p3at because as the above mentioned it is really at about this location at 4 o'clock cantered slightly using the belt clip on it in the waist band of my pants and is EXTREMELY comfortable and well hidden. I can carry there driving and still easily remove it from that spot while seated. Most of the time I don't even know it is there. BUT that is a very tiny and light gun and is the only reason there is no problems. I have tried all my larger guns in various spots back there and have no luck finding a good spot or holster. I have almost given up and would like to find a better way to carry a full size gun just as comfortable. Other than the EC .40 man purse fanny pack any good suggestions? [smile]

I carry with the holster straddling the third belt loop back. It sits well while driving, conceals pretty well, and it's also an easy spot to keep ride-up in check if it becomes an issue.

I use this same spot with my G22 in a fobus paddle, clip-on IWB, and with my K40c in a belt slide.

I carry with an in the pants left holster and my Beretta 70s. I am righty so the holster put the grip at the right place for me to reach around
and grab. I find it comfortable to carry SOB,even with the weight of the gun. I will be switching to the kel tec p11 to carry and it will be in the small of my back too. Any other way, for me, is uncomfortable. You just have to make sure that you wearing a long enough shirt so if you bend over it doesn't ride up. I tuck in a t shirt first, so my skin isn't touching the gun. This is important especially if it's a warm day. You don't want sweat on the gun.

love the squirrel! i carry the p3at in a pocket holster. it looks like a big wallet but doesn't bother me. i also have the belt clip attached to the gun but wouldn't put it in my pants with out any holster to protect from rubbing.

OK. Maybe I should change my info on how I carry the p3at because as the above mentioned it is really at about this location at 4 o'clock cantered slightly using the belt clip on it in the waist band of my pants and is EXTREMELY comfortable and well hidden.
4 o'clock isn't SOB. That's the usual location for an OWB or IWB strong side hip holster.

I have tried all my larger guns in various spots back there and have no luck finding a good spot or holster. I have almost given up and would like to find a better way to carry a full size gun just as comfortable. Other than the EC .40 man purse fanny pack any good suggestions? [smile]
I carry a full-size stainless steel M1911 on my right hip. That's 40+ ounces, and I'm not a big guy. For IWB, I use a Kramer Leather IWB #2. Very comfortable. For OWB, I use a Raven Concealment Phantom.

I carry a full-size stainless steel M1911 on my right hip. That's 40+ ounces, and I'm not a big guy. For IWB, I use a Kramer Leather IWB #2. Very comfortable. For OWB, I use a Raven Concealment Phantom.

thanks for the info. I will look into those holsters.

I guess I'll go against the grain here...

My hot summer carry is a 642, SOB, with a clip on IWB holster, I find an untucked t shirt covers it just fine. Comfort wise no problems, even driving.
Is it perfect? Nope, but very few means of carrying are. At least it's in a location where I can reach it with either hand, and it looks like I'm going for my wallet. [grin]

Just my .02...

I guess I'll go against the grain here...

My hot summer carry is a 642, SOB, with a clip on IWB holster, I find an untucked t shirt covers it just fine. Comfort wise no problems, even driving.
Is it perfect? Nope, but very few means of carrying are. At least it's in a location where I can reach it with either hand, and it looks like I'm going for my wallet. [grin]

Just my .02...

That, and carrying a gun in a position with drawbacks is better than carrying no gun at all.

4 o'clock with cant. I used to carry a full sized 1911 and now it's either a 92fs or a 4.25 sized 1911......both are comfortable walking, driving and dont print even through the summer with just a t-shirt on. I'm 6'0 and somewhat thin.

Tried the SOB at home a few times and it felt like a metal shovel digging into my spine.

Back
Top Bottom