Small Store, Big Store Survey

Do you plan on shopping at the larger sports stores?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Yes I already do

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Let's wait to see what the prices will be when the stores are built

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters

NES Member
With the rising prices of ammo, and just about everything else. I am curious to see how many of you plan to shop at Basspro and or other large retail sporting goods shops oppose to your local smaller shops.

I will probably make a day out of going there seeing as it is going to be over and hour drive. So no I will not be there a lot but will check it out from time to time.

I plan on working at Bass Pro....---C-Pher

I plan on living at Bass Pro! Come by and see me in the camping section. :)

But really, I haven't been able to find a dependable source for plated bullets. If Bass Pro has plated bullets then I’ll be good customer for them.

Ditto for hunting equipment.

It would be nice to see a good selection of fly fishing equipment and hunting gear closer then KTP or LL Bean's. I live just a few miles from Scheafer Stadium. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Who voted no and why?

Last edited:
John have you checked with Paul at Bullseye in Woonsocket? He can be difficult to deal with at times but has been known to get certain items of interest.

Bill,
I have dealt with Bullseye in the past and use him on occasion. But his prices are high, his stock spotty and he won’t order in the quantities I want.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Who voted no and why?

I did because the question was on ammo. I will make a trip to Basspro but it's way to far for me to shop there more than once or twice a year. I will shop at cabelas once it's open. I get most of my ammo from my local gun shop because it's two minutes from work and I like the guy. I might spend an extra $7 on a case of ammo, but when I'm already spending $200 it's a non-issue for the service and personal attention that I get.

I did because the question was on ammo.---derek
I saw the question as being on “ammo and just about everything else”. As Bass Pro will be just a few miles from home, I think I’ll be checking out more of the “everything else” part of the question.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I buy very little loaded ammo and I sincerely doubt that Bass Pro will have what I want for reloading supplies. Twenty-five years ago, I'd have been thrilled to have BP so close because I fished a lot. Haven't put line to water since '85, so no thrill to have yet another big box store adding traffic to my area of Route 1.

I doubt Bass Pro will have the ammo I usually buy in bulk when I need to. If they do have milsurp type ammo like 8mm Mauser, 303 British, etc. It will probably be so freaking expensive that I'll stick to a good score on Wolf Gold that I can usually come accross now and then.
Besides by the time they're open I hope to be reloading by then.

I did because the question was on ammo. I will make a trip to Basspro but it's way to far for me to shop there more than once or twice a year. I will shop at cabelas once it's open. I get most of my ammo from my local gun shop because it's two minutes from work and I like the guy. I might spend an extra $7 on a case of ammo, but when I'm already spending $200 it's a non-issue for the service and personal attention that I get.

I voted no for pretty much the same reason, if the $ difference is not overly dramatic my money goes to the little guy. I will make the trek once and a while just to browse.

I buy very little loaded ammo and I sincerely doubt that Bass Pro will have what I want for reloading supplies. Twenty-five years ago, I'd have been thrilled to have BP so close because I fished a lot. Haven't put line to water since '85, so no thrill to have yet another big box store adding traffic to my area of Route 1.

If you fished more you wouldn't be so cranky. I fish a lot and I'm not cranky.

You can come fishing with me if you want.

[laugh2] [rofl2] [laugh2] [rofl2] [laugh2] [rofl2] [laugh2] [rofl2]

ROFL! Transfers....Dicks.... Holy shit...that's rich.

That was my point.
My local FFL transfers, ships and receives guns for me, for a reasonable fee. He has a good stock of reasonably priced new and used guns. He stocks powder, primers and some reloading equipment. I can call him any time to order stuff that might not be in stock, reloading components, cleaning supplies or whatever. If I need a small item from Brownells, he orders from them nearly every week and will add my stuff to his order with no problem. He has spent a lot of time on the phone finding special order guns for me. His prices for guns and ammo aren't much more than the big box stores and his attitude is much better. I enjoy dropping in for a chat on a Saturday morning, every couple of weeks and have never felt unwelcome. If all this costs me an extra few dollars a year, it is worth every penny. I have been in Dick's and gave up after not being able to get a straight answer about the availability of a pellet rifle.

BTW, my local FFL is Nick's Sport Shop, in Palmer, MA.

The only thing Cabelas might have (if they ever get around to building it) is large quanities of plated bullets. No one except KTP ever seens to have them in stock. KTP is way overpriced for their Rainiers and have very few on hand.

Back
Top Bottom