• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smokeless Powder / Best Shops In NE...

Rileys used to be my go-to, then Shooters Outpost.

Of course they don't bother to post their inventory online, and with the thin selection lately, it hardly seems worth the drive.

Back when gas was cheap I'd even travel to Rhode Island if they had something in stock.

What are the best places for AR and precision rifle reloading supplies in 2024?

Op mentioned Rileys and RI...
.so who knows where he lives. And as much as this topic gets beat to death on a weekly basis and nes members needing to be fed from a baby bottle, some shops are better stocked than others. Google cant provide than info.

Op mentioned Rileys and RI...
.so who knows where he lives. And as much as this topic gets beat to death on a weekly basis and nes members needing to be fed from a baby bottle, some shops are better stocked than others. Google cant provide than info.
Well, yes--some shops ARE better stocked than others--which is why I made the post inquiring. Which is what message boards are FOR, right? So information can be shared by those with actual experience and knowlege and so that everyone doesn't have to re-invent the wheel for themselves?

Not sure that WHY would rankle anyone in a RELOADING forum--apart from masturbation-induced Aspergers, which SEEMS to be the glue that hold this particular website together.

Location? Call it Waltham/128.

I'd be willing to drive an hour N/S/E/or West if I knew there would be an 8lb jug of something I was looking for in a well-stocked reloading section.

I offered Rileys and Shooters as a benchmark--they used to predictably have 8lb jugs of whatever you were looking for, but those days are gone.

So let's repeat the question: what are the best shops in the NE to find reloading supplies, smokeless powder for precision rifle and AR in particular?

I have been to Glens, and Cabelas in Hudson, and am planning on running up north to pick up some $62 Win #41's shipped (FREE/No Hazmat) to Hooksett Bass Pro.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Well, yes--some shops ARE better stocked than others--which is why I made the post inquiring. Which is what message boards are FOR, right? So information can be shared by those with actual experience and knowlege and so that everyone doesn't have to re-invent the wheel for themselves?

Not sure that WHY would rankle anyone in a RELOADING forum--apart from masturbation-induced Aspergers, which SEEMS to be the glue that hold this particular website together.

I'd be willing to drive an hour N/S/E/or West if I knew there would be an 8lb jug of something I was looking for in a well-stocked reloading section.

I offered Rileys and Shooters as a benchmark--they used to predictably have 8lb jugs of whatever you were looking for, but those days are gone.

So let's repeat the question: what are the best shops in the NE to find reloading supplies, smokeless powder for precision rifle and AR in particular?
I would check out Glenn’s in Reading. Not too far.

I have been to Glens, and Cabelas in Hudson, and am planning on running up north to pick up some $62 Win #41's shipped to Hooksett Bass Pro.

Thanks for any input.
Is there a particular powder/component you’re looking for?

Is there a particular powder/component you’re looking for?
I'd be interested in TAC (Cabelas just had an 8lb on their shelf but I dithered), Reasonably-priced AR COMP (lol/good luck), IMR 4064, IMR 4895, AA 2520, IMR 8208-XBR, or Reloader 15.

I'd be interested in TAC (Cabelas just had an 8lb on their shelf but I dithered), Reasonably-priced AR COMP (lol/good luck), IMR 4064, IMR 4895, AA 2520, IMR 8208-XBR, or Reloader 15.
Rifle powder prices have gone full retard. I still have a sealed 8lb jug of IMR-4064 I got at shooters outpost for $180. Online vendors are $430+ ooooof. I see AR-Comp in stock online but $450+ for a jug. Craziness

I think you need to forget about “reasonably-priced” 😂

Rifle powder prices have gone full retard. I still have a sealed 8lb jug of IMR-4064 I got at shooters outpost for $180. Online vendors are $430+ ooooof. I see AR-Comp in stock online but $450+ for a jug. Craziness

I think you need to forget about “reasonably-priced” 😂
I'm capitulating. Russian nitrates are off the market because of the war in Ukraine, with Iran getting froggy and Houthis running amok I'm not seeing prices coming down any time soon.

I think everything is going to just get MORE expensive--and it is what it is.

I'm capitulating. Russian nitrates are off the market because of the war in Ukraine, with Iran getting froggy and Houthis running amok I'm not seeing prices coming down any time soon.

I think everything is going to just get MORE expensive--and it is what it is.
I would say you are correct. Sadly

I remember D&L shooting supplies in Rhode Island having a f***ton of reloading supplies. Granted that was almost 10 years ago.
I’d obviously call before making the drive.

DL used to be the go to for anything in bulk. As mentioned shooting supply in westport, outback in plympton, bullseye in woonsocket, heritage in coventry.

Ill give you credit for your willingness to drive as most people cant be bothered to drive past the friggin town line.

It has often surprised me that no one in the Mill or surrounds has reloading supplies.

Although I know 1-2 that are looking into it etc etc
Probably because they’ll make little profit on selling them. The prices are so high/inflated that a local dealer would need to then upcharge and I think many customers would squak at that.
Let’s face it, many (not all) reloaders are cheapskates lol
There’s people buying those Ginex and Argentinian primers just to save a penny per primer 😂. Then they have to deal with the headaches of difficulty seating them and them being hard to set off.

Went on a gunshop Walkabout.

Rt 93 has several worthwhile shops from Stoneham to Hooksett.

Collector's in Stoneham has 2 8lbers of H335--1 at the old price of $269, 1 at the new price of $329. They also had an 8 of BL-C2 for about $278.

Glenn's had an 8lber of TAC for $265, and 1lbers of Varget, IMR4895, IMR4064, TAC, lots of other stuff at around $40/lb.

Al's Gun And Reel in Derry has 2 8lb H335 for $280, Varget 8lb for $415, many 1lb of various flavors, CCI small rifle and small pistol--in the $90 range. He didn't seem too happy to entertain a tire-kicker (lol).

Shooters Outpost had nothing particularly interesting.

Last edited:
Went on a gunshop Walkabout.

Rt 93 has several worthwhile shops from Stoneham to Hooksett.

Collector's in Stoneham has 2 8lbers of H335--1 at the old price of $269, 1 at the new price of $329. They also had an 8 of BL-C2 for about $278.

Glenn's had an 8lber of TAC for $265, and 1lbers of Varget, IMR4895, IMR4064, TAC, lots of other stuff at around $40/lb.

Al's Gun And Reel in Derry has 2 8lb H335 for $280, Varget 8lb for $415, many 1lb of various flavors, CCI small rifle and small pistol--in the $90 range. He didn't seem too happy to entertain a tire-kicker (lol).

Shooters Outpost had nothing particularly interesting.
I was thinking of going to Al's this weekend (the H335 is enticing if it is still there)...the reviews (and your experience) make it sound like he's a cantankerous fellow, so not sure I want to make the trip.

Last edited:
I was thinking of going to Al's this weekend (the H335 is enticing if it is still there)...the reviews (and your experience) make it sound like he's a cantankerous fellow, so not sure I want to make the trip.

I have had good experineces with him as well. Basically I get a sense that business is super-tough. Back in Covid he couldn't get any inventory to sell. How do you make a living? Then you pay high prices just to get stuff to sell--but nobody is buying because the prices are high. Walk through the door with money in hand ready to buy and you'll probably have a perfectly pleasant experience.

Collectors in Stoneham>>>15 min up the road is Glenn's>>>>15 more minutes up the road is Al's.

It's a pretty efficient foraging excursion.

Pete's in Hudson had little in stock.

Shooter's is a waste of gas.

Back
Top Bottom