Snowmobiling and shooting

Two great Maine activities But how do they mix from a mass resident

My father has a house in Maine and there's a place to shoot down the way. I have my MA ltc. He does not.

What do I have to do with bringing my m1 carbine, 1911, 92fs and ammo/magazines to Maine LEGALLY. Then how do I legally travel with them and the ammo on a snowmobile.

We will be in the boonies but i don't want any problems. I'm not looking to carry ( but I believe I could open carry???)

Just legally move guns n ammo from MA to Maine in truck then from house to shooting pit on snowmobile

Thanks

Two great Maine activities But how do they mix from a mass resident

Maine does not make any distinction between resident and non residents. The laws are the same regardless of your residency.

My father has a house in Maine and there's a place to shoot down the way. I have my MA ltc. He does not.

The only paper work required for any guns in Maine is for concealed carry. Other than that, no license is required for possession or open carry.

What do I have to do with bringing my m1 carbine, 1911, 92fs and ammo/magazines to Maine LEGALLY.

Just bring them, you only have to worry about transportation requirements, which I will list later

Then how do I legally travel with them and the ammo on a snowmobile.

I am not positive on a snow mobile. But unloaded for sure. I believe it is considered a motor vehicle so the law would be the same as for in a car. On top of that if you are in the woods you then also need to worry about hunting laws. I would say either unloaded in a case or not in case unloaded and action open. The best thing to do on this question is to call a game warden office and ask.

We will be in the boonies but i don't want any problems. I'm not looking to carry ( but I believe I could open carry???)

Just legally move guns n ammo from MA to Maine in truck then from house to shooting pit on snowmobile

The law is real simple in Maine for transporting in a car. There are only two things you have to worry about. Is the gun unloaded? Is the gun not concealed on or near your person. The gun needs to be unloaded (magazine removed and chamber empty) and action open or it needs to be unloaded in a case. However, if in a case it needs to be not on your person or near your person or it will be considered a concealed weapon. There are no laws concerning the ammo having to be separated or locked in a the trunk. It would be perfectly legal to have the gun unloaded and action open sitting in plain view on the seat next to you with a loaded mag sitting right next to it.

Transportation in a car was discussed on this link with the laws cited for your own research.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/80027-Proper-Transport-while-in-Maine

PS- My advice is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
You sir get an A+ for that answer.

Only thing that bothers me is the traveling on a snowmobile. How am I gonna have a rifle or handgun in a case (unloaded). Not on my person or close by. To consider it not concealed carry?

The snowmobilers and ATVer's I know have a case lashed to their machine. In fact, I think they make a case just for this purpose or you could just redneck it with some duck tape and bungee chords.

It could be slung over your shoulder unloaded and action open as well. I believe having a long gun in a case near your person, as in on your machine, would be fine. My comments about having it near your person in a case or glove compartment were directed towards handguns. In other words having your handgun under some newspapers next to you or in the glove compartment may meet the requirements for concealed. However, having it in a locked case next to you would not as it is not easily assessable. Or a long gun in a case is not exactly easily usable either.

The game warden's office will be able to answer the question concerning snow mobiles better than I. I would give them a call and ask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom