So I'm moving back to Boston from TX...

Welcome urban. Set your user CP to show all threads and you'll get a ton of info. Also - chances of getting a Class A license to carry in Boston is not real good. Please check out the other threads to see if your questions are answered. If not, feel free to PM me.

Do you have to live that close to Boston? Check out the info on different towns and cities that are a bit further out - you many stand a better chance of getting a license. [wink]

Mother Mod

Welcome and we hope you enjoy it here, at least in the forums.

Boston will be close to impossible for you to get an "carry" permit (allowing you to carry vs. possess). Boston has it's own ban on things like ARs and only those in the City (and who got a special Boston permit) back many years ago can possess them legally (largely ignored, but you deserve to know).

Large capacity rifles or hi-cap rifle mags will require a LTC-B minimum.

You WILL need to take a special state approved course, regardless of your knowledge/training. This is state law. Boston also requires a range test, which most other cities/towns do not. Boston will likely take ~6 months to get your LTC (including training/appointments/range test/etc.) from the time you move in.

Worth knowing: Brookline refused to issue a LTC to an active duty military officer, even though he met all legal qualifications.

If I were you, I'd pick a gun-friendly town within commuting distance of Boston, you won't regret it.

If you set your User CP to show ALL THREADS and use Advanced Search in the Gun Laws forum, you will find:

- A sticky on the MA LTC process,
- A sticky on Boston's unique LTC process,
- Info on friendly towns vs. those you don't want to even think about.

This is total crap, the right to protect myself legally being denied, ESP. when I have several years of safe firearm handling experience.

Welcome to communism... [thinking] You can see why I am leaving. [smile]

I just got off the phone with BPD "Licensing" division, and they said unless I was a security officer, or a business professional (something along those lines), I wasn't getting a permit.
It is possible for an ordinary person without connections to get a restricted LTC-A in Boston. The story the licensing division gave you is accurate for an "LTC-A, Restrictions: None" permit. (note: The state just standardized on use of the term "None" rather than "All Lawful Purposes" for the reason).

YOU FOOL!!!!! DO NOT COME TO MENINOSTAN!!!! CANCEL YOUR LEASE!!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!

IF YOU MUST RETURN TO TAXACHUSETTS DO NOT LIVE IN MENINOSTAN!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! WHAT NOW BEFALLS YOU WHEN YOU TRY TO GET AN CLASS A ALP IS YOUR OWN DOING!!!!!

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a PM!

You should have asked here BEFORE you inked a lease!!

Plenty of places are easy commutes to Suffolk U. without living in Boston.

I went to graduate school at Suffolk and later taught there for a short while. I took the T (from South) or the commuter rail.

Hey everyone, I found this website by chance on Google. I need some help in figuring out the draconian gun licensing laws in Boston.

Alright so first off, I know I need a FID for my rifles. I'm moving to Brighton, and I know the rifle's aren't the issue... as far as handguns go, what is the process for licensing these?

My background: former Army MP, now working in Military Intel.

Urbanmental,
If you are into handguns you should be aware that there are many you can never buy as a MA resident. However, you can purchase them now as a TX resident and legally bring them into MA with you. I found out about this after I moved into MA and it was too late for me. If you ever wanted to own a fine handgun from STI (www.stiguns.com) you had better buy it before you move into MA so you can bring it with you. Same for a new Glock and many many others. In fact, if you should happen to purchase some guns that we can't purchase here in MA you can legally bring them in and then legally sell them to MA residents. There is a limit of 4 per year you can sell privately. I'm sure the suggestions will be coming your way shortly. I know I'd love to find someone who recently moved here with a nice new Glock Model 34, or a 9mm STI Edge they would like to sell (hint). If you're moving here before the end of the year you could quickly sell four in 2006, and four more in 2007. You have the opportunity to really brighten up the lives of eight lowly MA residents. Talk about spreading some cheer around for the Holidays...

-Cuz.

If you are in the military make your home of record somewhere else and then get a non resident LTC. There are some police officers that are denied ALP licenses in certain towns. You have been warned.

B

If there is any way to break your lease you should do it if you want to be able to defend yourself and your girlfriend.

If you are resigned to living in MA you should research very carefully what is and isn't allowed on the various kinds of licenses wrt handguns, "assault rifles" and normal (eg 10+) cap magazines.

When you get the chance move to a free state like NH, and in the meantime you could make a lot of friends here by bringing in some guns you own that are impossible for residents to buy new in MA and selling them to your new friends here.

If you are in the military make your home of record somewhere else and then get a non resident LTC. There are some police officers that are denied ALP licenses in certain towns. You have been warned.

B

EXCELLENT POINT!

Most towns (and I'm certain Boston is amongst them) will REFUSE to issue ANY LTC or FID to the following:

- Anyone in college whose parents don't live in MA,
- Anyone in college who didn't graduate a MA High School,
- Anyone in the military unless they lived in MA prior to enlisting.

I'm NOT kidding about the above.

NON-Residents (and those listed above) can NOT get a NR FID (no such thing exists), BUT they can apply to CHSB and get a NR LTC-A/ALP simply by following the MGLs (training required), no range test, no BS. Much more costly since it is $100/yr vs. $100/6 yrs.

One major downside of a NR LTC is that by MGLs, nobody can legally sell you ammo or firearms! But if it is issued with a MA address, I honestly don't know what will happen if you try to buy something here. If you do try to pursue this angle, I do know where I can find out the answer to this question however.

Gotta love these people who:

1. Make a decision;

2. Implement the decision; and

3. Then - and ONLY then - ask for advice about something they've already done. [rolleyes]

This is the second one in about 6 months. The other one was worse; he asked for advice, ignored it, then asked what to do about the situation he put himself in!

Breaking the lease and living elsewhere is the best advice given on this thread.

Bringing non-approved guns in with him is a very close second. [cheers]

Then you have no one to "thank" for the current situation but fellow democrats.

Southern democrats and Texas democrats are more conservative than northeast republicans. Coming from Texas to here would be a cultural shock as far as the difference in the politicians agendas.

Southern democrats and Texas democrats are more conservative than northeast republicans. Coming from Texas to here would be a cultural shock as far as the difference in the politicians agendas.

Really? Hillary Pelosi was just unanimously elected by democraps to be the new SOTH. Unanimously. Sounds to me like "Texas democrats" like her left-wing agenda just fine.

Really? Hillary Pelosi was just unanimously elected by democraps to be the new SOTH. Unanimously. Sounds to me like "Texas democrats" like her left-wing agenda just fine.

I generally have great contempt for dems but the proof will be in the pudding
of the voting records. Merely voting for the witch to be speaker is just
political protectionism. There's no point in them dissenting if all they're
going to do is get a black mark. Moderate or remotely conservative
dems are a very small minority. They need to essentially operate under
the radar, more or less. There are a few cases where these people have
even switched sides, it's just they had to run a a dem to run against
some entrenched republican incumbent.

Some of them, I'm sure, are also secretly hoping that Pelosi will further
destroy the full blown moonbat movement. Letting her flail around
a bit (and act like a moron) in that position is a good way to do
it. If she acts like a psycho it could cost the dems some
votes. Remember, not every voting demographic is nearly as dumb as
MA's is.

-Mike

Back to the original point of this post...

Urbanmental, if you absolutely won't break the lease, you need to contact a GOOD gun lawyer BEFORE you apply. Darius (screen name Cross-X) and Keith (screen name Scrivener (yeah, the guy who just dissed you above [rolleyes]) are two such who you can reach by sending a PM to on this board. One of these guys would pretty much be your ONLY chance of getting an All Lawful Purposes LTC in Brighton.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

You can and should apply for the LTC-A restricted to sport and target, they will issue it as long as you qualify.

Urbanmental,
If you are into handguns you should be aware that there are many you can never buy as a MA resident. However, you can purchase them now as a TX resident and legally bring them into MA with you. I found out about this after I moved into MA and it was too late for me. If you ever wanted to own a fine handgun from STI (www.stiguns.com) you had better buy it before you move into MA so you can bring it with you. Same for a new Glock and many many others. In fact, if you should happen to purchase some guns that we can't purchase here in MA you can legally bring them in and then legally sell them to MA residents. There is a limit of 4 per year you can sell privately. I'm sure the suggestions will be coming your way shortly. I know I'd love to find someone who recently moved here with a nice new Glock Model 34, or a 9mm STI Edge they would like to sell (hint). If you're moving here before the end of the year you could quickly sell four in 2006, and four more in 2007. You have the opportunity to really brighten up the lives of eight lowly MA residents. Talk about spreading some cheer around for the Holidays...

-Cuz.

Excellent point!

Also, be aware that the Clinton AWB effectively still applies here as MA has its own version. If you have guns with >10round mags and the mags are made after 9/13/1994 (corrected by LenS-Mod: Typo but dangerous when wrong), you cannot bring them (the magazines) here. This applies to rifles and pistols. Anything marked LEO will get you a free stay at a local correctional facility and/or a fine and you're license will very likely be revoked permanently. This is true no matter where you live in MA, not just Boston.

Welcome. I hope you don't regret the Boston thing.

Matt

Thanks Len!!

Last edited:
You can and should apply for the LTC-A restricted to sport and target, they will issue it as long as you qualify.

Maybe Boston does, but not all that long ago, there were some towns/cities
that were trying to ram LTC-B's down people's throats. This still might be
occurring in some places, but I haven't heard about it as much since the
licensing reform took effect. Maybe it's just because some PDs have
figured out that an LTC-B is just a dumb idea.

It pays to check out the issuing authority before taking residency.

-Mike

If the objective is a gun for protection, Boston's crippled LTC (target and hunting only) is NOT a solution.

AFAIK, Brockton still issues ONLY LTC-B to first time applicants unless you are well connected.

Anybody hear back from this guy? I sent him two PMs last night encouraging him not to come into Boston. Haven't heard back from him.

As I am getting ready to leave here, I cannot imagine somebody from Texas being able to deal with the nanny state mentality in this state. It seems incredible he would voluntarily subject himself to this.

Anybody hear back from this guy? I sent him two PMs last night encouraging him not to come into Boston. Haven't heard back from him.

After reading a few of the replies, he may not have felt the love here.

Back
Top Bottom